Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By josho

Thread: Bangkok Traffic

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar

Bangkok Traffic

Must say this trip not enjoying driving in BKK traffic as much as last year (maybe the gloss of been allowed to drive like a maniac has worn off).

Just seems to be so much more traffic, and some long drives, for example

Yesterday TG says lets pick up her sister from work near Chong Nonsi, we are out at Ekachai (not Ekamai), so set GPS trip 16km there and 16km back. So we leave at 4.45pm with my reckoning get there about 5.30pm (her knock off time), so its a bit wet traffic heavy but we do well to get there by 5.40pm.

So back into traffic 16km ahead of us, Arrival time back at Reli's 8.45pm, 3 hours to travel 16km FMBD. from Chong Nonsi, to Sathorn turn off to go over the Taksin Bridge pretty sure we moved a Kilometre in about an hour and until actually getting on the bridge it was just snails pace at best.

To think in that same time space I could have driven from my Country home in WA to Perth
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Think you took the wrong route.. Cross the river using the motorway (and pay the 30 bath..555) and get of on the other side..

Shortest way not always the best in BKK.. 555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    I copped the heaviest Ive ever experienced in Bkk this morning on the way to Suvanabhumi at 8am.
    Still at about the half way mark we were doing 120kph again.

I simply NEVER have travelled in Peak Hour before , I make a conscious decision to arrive and depart between 11 and 3 or after 7pm but my daughter had booked an 10am International flight....

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    Think you took the wrong route.. Cross the river using the motorway (and pay the 30 bath..555) and get of on the other side..

Shortest way not always the best in BKK.. 555
    On looking at the Map after the ordeal Rak, I came to that conclusion as well and at the time in heat of the moment it was "Sister on Motorbike Taxi to Chong Nonsi, BTS to Wongwian Wai, MB taxi to us, while I sip a Leo or two and don't move" Not sure that would have ended well 555

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Drove into BKK and arrived on Suk soi 2 at 630 pm Friday night and then travelled up to 22 20 mins was all it took.
    The labrinth of motorway to get to SUk is unbeleivable and impossible without GPS and even then you need to keep an eagle eye.
    But was quicker far quicker than I expected. Quite fun. id a little tight at times.

Always use the toll ways. The time spent in traffic is not worth it. And rent the biggest car you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Mate View Post
    Always use the toll ways. The time spent in traffic is not worth it. And rent the biggest car you can.
    I can see the benefits 555

or this 555
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last time in Bangkok stayed with the wife's family in Bangkapi, an outer suburban part of Bangkok. Only about 20km from the city but could take hours to get there. And trying to get a taxi back!! we would get outright refused by half a dozen before one would finally agree to take us.

Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    I copped the heaviest Ive ever experienced in Bkk this morning on the way to Suvanabhumi at 8am.
    Still at about the half way mark we were doing 120kph again.

I simply NEVER have travelled in Peak Hour before , I make a conscious decision to arrive and depart between 11 and 3 or after 7pm but my daughter had booked an 10am International flight....
    It's better to go by train. Makkasan airport link railway station is on soi asok ( sukhumvit soi 21) about 1 km north of sukhumvit road . About 20 minutes to airport. They run every 30? Minutes about 60? Baht per person

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    X|0|0
    0|X|0
    0|0|X...relaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaax

Quote Originally Posted by BangkokSteve View Post
    It's better to go by train. Makkasan airport link railway station is on soi asok ( sukhumvit soi 21) about 1 km north of sukhumvit road . About 20 minutes to airport. They run every 30? Minutes about 60? Baht per person

Did the DMK to BKK tfr on Wed via FREE shuttle bus = 60 mins exactly, in heavy rain albeit middle of day so traffic was reasonably light. Coming the other way would have been a nightmare as tollways were closed off for a 'State visit' convoy. The FREE (for pax) shuttle runs every 30 mins so allow 2 hours and take a warm jacket as air-con is FREEZING cold!

Going out yesterday it was pissing down at 2pm so we grabbed a cab from Asoke @ 181 Bt to DMK = 45mins. Upon 4.30pm take-off we looked down at bumper-to-bumper traffic parked on tollways!
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Agreed.
    But we were heading from Banglumhu and with 40 kilos of snowboard gear....

Have driven the pickup from the ring road circling Bkk ( #9) in to the city on Ratchapruk and Rama 3, it wasnt too bad , you just had to breath in to squeeze thru some bits ...555
    We found a place with parking nice and central and taxied/BTSed after that. The place is called Wong Wian ... I always wondered if it was called that by a China man who couldnt say his 'R's and its actual name was Rong Rian , meaning 'school'. 555

Wong Wian วงเวียน means roundabout and the place you found parking may have been Wong Wian Yai วงเวียนใหญ่ though that roundabout is not on Rama 3

Cheers
    X|0|0
    0|X|0

Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    Agreed.
    But we were heading from Banglumhu and with 40 kilos of snowboard gear....
    If you mean Banglumpoo บางลำภู in Phra Nakhon District ( near KhaoSan road, right?) , that is 4 km from PhyaThai Airport Link Railway station, which is the start of the City to Airport line. It is next to BTS Phaya Thai station

Hopes this helps next time.
    X|0|0
    0|X|0

when ever im in BKK i always use the train or scooter taxi's. i drove once and never did it again 555
    supmate likes this.

If you mean Banglumpoo บางลำภู in Phra Nakhon District ( near KhaoSan road, right?) , that is 4 km from PhyaThai Airport Link Railway station, which is the start of the City to Airport line. It is next to BTS Phaya Thai station

Hopes this helps next time.
    So are you saying catch the underground then taxi the last 4km or so to Thanon Phra Athit next to the river ( near Kao San rd )? What is the cost?
    The taxi was about 260 baht for 2 of us with luggage .

Yeah I mostly catch a cab on arrival at midnight, sometimes catch a cab too when leaving. Just saying if you want to get to the airport quickly when the city traffic is bad, a taxi to the PhyaThai or Makkasan station and then catch the train is quicker. Even the expressways grind to a halt sometimes. I thought you were complaining about the traffic.
    Last edited by BangkokSteve; 15th June 2013 at 22:56. Reason: arh
    X|0|0
    0|X|0

No , I was saying I usually plan to miss it.
    But your info is most useful and thanks.