Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Taxis from Nana Hotel to Don Mueang

  1. #1
    Cadet Bronze Rrrodders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    75

    Taxis from Nana Hotel to Don Mueang

    I will need to get from Nana Hotel to Don Mueang for a 0900 flight to Chiang Mai on my trip to LOS. I have seen in some blogs that taxis in hotel car parks are to be avoided as they charge more than they should.(and how is that, aren't they all metered?) The hotels prices for arranging a ride to Don Mueang seem exorbitant, so what do members advise to do? Do I just walk down the street and hail one? And how early do I need to head off at that time of day to make check in at 0800?

  2. #2
    Cadet Gold BangkokSteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    413
    Quote Originally Posted by Rrrodders View Post
    I will need to get from Nana Hotel to Don Mueang for a 0900 flight to Chiang Mai on my trip to LOS. I have seen in some blogs that taxis in hotel car parks are to be avoided as they charge more than they should.(and how is that, aren't they all metered?) The hotels prices for arranging a ride to Don Mueang seem exorbitant, so what do members advise to do? Do I just walk down the street and hail one? And how early do I need to head off at that time of day to make check in at 0800?
    Walk out to the soi in front of the hotel and keep asking for don mueang until they nod ok without demanding a price. Once you are in make sure the meter is running. If it is not running, and he then offers a price, either get out or pay it if it is acceptable to you. Yes, the driver is breaking the law but he knows you are a tourist and knows there is little chance of him getting in trouble.

    The driver will ask to go onto the tollway which is quite nearby and will ask you to pay about 80 baht then ask for another toll about 5km further. The meter fare should be , umm, 150-200 ? Baht.

    Should take 0.5 to 1.5 hrs depending on traffic.

    How much was the hotel limo?



    Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    X|0|0
    0|X|0
    0|0|X...relaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaax

  3. #3
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน briofoz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,231
    Get the BTS to Chatuchak (Mo Chit station)then Taxi...will save lots of traffic hassles.

  4. #4
    Cadet Bronze Rrrodders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    75
    Thanks Steve, cannot now find the page where I saw their charges to the airport (they had a few options including min bus for 8 or so people) but the car option was over a 1000B.

  5. #5
    Cadet Bronze Rrrodders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    75
    Thanks Briofoz, what time would I need to leave the Nana to get to Don Mueang using BTS at that time of day?

  6. #6
    Frequent Flyer kaptainrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Lannaland
    Posts
    8,558
    Did that Taxi trip last week from Asoke, stopping to pick up bags on Suk21, then via tollways (60Bt) to DMK @ 180 Bt on meter + 20 Bt tip = 260 Bt. Pouring rain and moderate 2pm traffic, took 50 mins but I'd allow 90 if peak hour. Hail one on the street ensuring you are already on the correct side so the cab doesn't have to navigate half of Sukhimvit before heading out.

    Taking BTS to Mo Chit is a good option, weather permitting, and at ~ 7am you'd miss peak commuter rush. There's an airport bus service from Mo Chit to DMK, (FREE I think runs half hourly) but a taxi would only take 30 mins on non-tolls @ approx 120 Bt.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

  7. #7
    Cadet Bronze Rrrodders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    75
    So what is the story with the taxis in hotel car parks advised against? Do they refuse to use meters?

  8. #8
    Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Perth , Australia
    Age
    59
    Posts
    3,513
    Quote Originally Posted by Rrrodders View Post
    So what is the story with the taxis in hotel car parks advised against? Do they refuse to use meters?
    Yes, mostly they are bad news for newbies, they are waiting there to rip off a tourist most times and they will quote a price (above the meter rate) to your destination and then spend the trip trying to sell you something or talk you out of going where you want to go because it is closed to-day etc or simply divert past a brothel or somewhere they get a kick back for taking you ... I don't mind saying No, I just can't be bothered dealing with their BS ....my advice is the same as those above, walk onto the street and hail down the guy who is driving around doing his job ... chances of having a poor experience getting a taxi that is waiting there is probably 90% whereas chances of having a poor experience from hailing the next one going past (even in Sukhumvit) is IMO 10%.

    Enjoy..
    Life is the unexpected ...

  9. #9
    Platinum josho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Age
    33
    Posts
    858
    Quote Originally Posted by Rrrodders View Post
    I will need to get from Nana Hotel to Don Mueang for a 0900 flight to Chiang Mai on my trip to LOS. I have seen in some blogs that taxis in hotel car parks are to be avoided as they charge more than they should.(and how is that, aren't they all metered?) The hotels prices for arranging a ride to Don Mueang seem exorbitant, so what do members advise to do? Do I just walk down the street and hail one? And how early do I need to head off at that time of day to make check in at 0800?
    try this company, they only charge 900 baht (BKK to Don Mueang)

    Pattaya Taxi 24/7: Our Rates
    Last edited by josho; 27th June 2013 at 00:05.

  10. #10
    Cadet silver MeMock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    105
    Grow a pair and walk down the street until you find one that will take you for the price that you think is fair. Seriously is it that hard?

  11. #11
    Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Samui
    Posts
    8,978
    tell reception that you want a metered taxi to take you to Don Mueng....and insist the meter be turned on

  12. #12
    Cadet Bronze Rrrodders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    75
    Don't think it will be hard at all MeMock, good to find out the options and pitfalls from other's with experience of the area.

  13. #13
    Cadet silver MeMock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    105
    Avoid parked up taxis. Only take ones from the street. Takes 60 minutes to Don Muang but I would allow for 90.

  14. #14
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,933
    Yeah, just grab one off the street.... Up2U if you accept a quoted price or insist on the meter.. as others have said, somewhere around 200 baht (no more) should be the meter fare, plus tolls.

    Heading out of Suk, the first 2 ks CAN take forever, but once on the freeway it moves reasonably ok, even in peak.

    60 mins should be enough, but with BKK traffic you can never be sure.... I allow 90, and then find it has taken 45 to get here... You just can't pick it 555

    If you are heading to CNX, with a TG, (dunno if ya are or not) let her do the talking with cab driver.... it will work way better if you let her do the talking.

    I might try the taxi/train combo next time and see how that goes

  15. #15
    Cadet Bronze Rrrodders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    75
    Not with TG, NZ Maori! Though has often been mistaken as Thai girl when over there (by Thais!)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •