Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bacwaan

Thread: BKK to Samui

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar

BKK to Samui

Thinking of heading down to Samui. Can anyone share any experiences re the train trip? I know it will take a lot longer, yet time is not a big issue for me if it is reasonably comfortable.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    it is pretty comfortable if you get 1st class sleeper (for overnight trips)...approximately 10-12 hours iirc but varies wildly due to conditions etc.....the train takes you to Surat Thani and then its a bus to Don Sak Pier (an hour-ish) to meet the ferry over (1 and a half hours)...after that bus or taxi to your destination on KS (approx 40 mins to Lamai...50 mins Chaweng)

Train travel in Thailand | Train times & fares from Bangkok to Chiang Mai, Ko Samui, Phuket, Nong Kai etc. Samui
    Last edited by bacwaan; 18th July 2013 at 20:32.
    Nomad likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    it is pretty comfortable if you get 1st class sleeper (for overnight trips)...approximately 10-12 hours iirc but varies wildly due to conditions etc.....the train takes you to Surat Thani and then its a bus to Don Sak Pier (an hour-ish) to meet the ferry over (1 and a half hours)...after that bus or taxi to your destination on KS (approx 40 mins to Lamai...50 mins Chaweng)

Train travel in Thailand | Train times & fares from Bangkok to Chiang Mai, Ko Samui, Phuket, Nong Kai etc. Samui
    Cheers Bacwaan. Looking at the ferries, can get a fast cat which leaves a bit over an hour later. Thinking that may be a better option as it gives a buffer for a late train arrival, and less time on the water.

After I get to Don Sak, what is the best way to get to Chaweng. From memory, when I flew into KS airport there were utes with canopies for a reasonable price.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cippy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Cheers Bacwaan. Looking at the ferries, can get a fast cat which leaves a bit over an hour later. Thinking that may be a better option as it gives a buffer for a late train arrival, and less time on the water.

After I get to Don Sak, what is the best way to get to Chaweng. From memory, when I flew into KS airport there were utes with canopies for a reasonable price.
    I just did it a week ago. We paid a tour agency 5200 for first class tickets next day. But if you take a trip to the train station, you will pay about 1500/person for first class Sleeper. I had a great time, but you want to be practiced using a moving squat toilet. 555

Bring snacks and drinks, or you can order dinner on board.

We Had a lady sell us minivan service to Chwang on the ferry, 150/person.
    Last edited by Cippy; 19th July 2013 at 01:58.
    Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. M.T.

I'd just buy a combined train/bus/ferry ticket mate....that way it won't matter what time the train gets in you will be collected and taken to the port for the next available ferry...last thing you want on a long train journey in LOS is to be worried about not making connections the whole trip

as Khun Cip says...mini bus for 150 a head....or taxi 400-450 baht to Lamai...another 100 on that to Chaweng

Ended up flying as another 5 days until sleepers were available. On the bus to the ferry we paid 200 baht each for a minivan ticket to the hotel in Chaweng.

Thanks for all the advice.

Ended up flying as another 5 days until sleepers were available. On the bus to the ferry we paid 200 baht each for a minivan ticket to the hotel in Chaweng.

555...I'd say 9 times out of 10 when i give the answers to the above questions about the train my friends end up flying 555

I hope you are enjoying the island khun Nomad..drop me a line if you'd like a scoot about

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar

flying is so much easier 555

Cadet Bronze
    I have been looking for December flights from Bangkok to samui to Phuket 180. I normally go every December but Hui Hin may get a visit this year thinking about the money I could save and spend on better things.

Quote Originally Posted by JIMBOB View Post
    I have been looking for December flights from Bangkok to samui to Phuket 180. I normally go every December but Hui Hin may get a visit this year thinking about the money I could save and spend on better things.
    Dec/Jan is peak season here (and most of Thailand)...don't expect any bargains for flights or accommodation

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    many people have said its pricey there...any truth in that...but as bac says expensive all over at that time of year

Cadet Bronze
    Same kind of prices as phuket really not to bad, but i can fly bangkok to phuket 30 or bangkok to samui 90 same 90 Samui to Phuket. Samui (lamai) is very nice but bangkok air own the airport i think so them and thai are the main way to get there by air. i have been to samui in december for many years but the price is starting to get to high now which makes me consider Hui Hin for a few days insted this year.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน chelski's Avatar
    Same kind of prices as phuket really not to bad, but i can fly bangkok to phuket 30 or bangkok to samui 90 same 90 Samui to Phuket. Samui (lamai) is very nice but bangkok air own the airport i think so them and thai are the main way to get there by air. i have been to samui in december for many years but the price is starting to get to high now which makes me consider Hui Hin for a few days insted this year.
    If you go Via Singapore, you can get into Samui via Silk Air. I have just done it from here in Australia, so cannot see any reason you cannot do from the UK

Cadet Bronze
    I want to go pattaya 1st then samui then phuket then back to bangkok for my flight home,and have already booked my flight from the UK. But thanks anyway it may be worth a look in the future.