Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Patong Airport Bus, Tuk Tuk Mafia and the Russians

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar

Patong Airport Bus, Tuk Tuk Mafia and the Russians

Interesting article here about the new Airport to Patong Bus Service, fares at around 120b , and the reactions from the Taxi/Tuk Tuk crew , and also the mention of the Russians moving in on the Thai's business. Could be plenty of fireworks to come if the quote from the article is true "Fighting is how disputes are settled in the Patong area,'' he said.

Bus Service Spells Trouble: Taxi Warning
    By Premkamon Ketsara and Alan Morison
    Friday, July 12, 2013
    PHUKET: Many taxi and tuk-tuk drivers in Patong are unaware that the innovative Phuket Airport-Patong-Airport bus service is beginning next Friday and one is warning of potential violence.

Although the low-cost hop-on hop-off bus service begins in less than a week, Phuketwan discovered today that no precautions have been taken to ''sell'' the project to Patong tuk-tuk and taxi drivers.

One Patong taxi group leader, Vichai Maiseetong, said today when asked about the effects of the bus service: ''Surely there are going to be problems.''

Khun Vichai appeared not to not be aware that the service is beginning on Friday. A Phuketwan reporter chose not to enlighten him.

He said today that both a Phuket airport to Patong bus service and the proposed water ferry from the airport had the potential to cut into the income of local taxi drivers.

''Fighting is how disputes are settled in the Patong area,'' he said. Some locals were already struggling to make ends meet, he said.

Chanon, who prefers to use one name and runs the tuk-tuk stand at Jungceylon shopping centre in Patong, said the buses would have no real effect on his drivers.

''Mostly their fares are people leaving Jungceylon,'' he said.

Khun Vichai was less sanguine. He said that Phuket was now being run by profit-taking business people, mentioning how Russians now ran all businesses dealing with tourists from that country.

''We local people are being cut out of the market without revenue going to us or to Thailand,'' he said.

It came as a surprise to Phuketwan reporters that nobody has briefed the taxi and tuk-tuk drivers in Patong by telling them that the bus service does not pose a threat.

A bus service between Patong and Karon came to an abrupt end back in the 1990s when a driver was beaten.

Planning is going ahead with tickets to be sold by conductors on the buses and from a service outlet on the concourse close to the exit at Phuket International Airport.

An upgrading to the siteat phuketairportbusexpress.com, where details can be found about stops and fares, is likely to be made early next week.

Marketing officer Rungrat Pakdiwong said that each of the buses would be fitted with a suggestion box so that passengers could immediately deliver feedback on driver and conductor quality and service.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

Do the russians run the bus service?
    A good night, the best in a long time
    A new friend turned me on to an old favorite

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Fuck the Russians. I hope more friction with the locals leads to restrictions on their visas.

I wouldn't take the bus anyway. What's 30 bucks for a 40 minute taxi ride? It costs me 80 for a half an hour one from the airport here. The tuk tuk mafia will always have my business around patong and the local taxis for the airport.

I wouldn't go with anything else. But that's just me.
    Condo and supmate like this.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    Fuck the Russians. I hope more friction with the locals leads to restrictions on their visas.

I wouldn't take the bus anyway. What's 30 bucks for a 40 minute taxi ride? It costs me 80 for a half an hour one from the airport here. The tuk tuk mafia will always have my business around patong and the local taxis for the airport.

Never use them... on principal
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post

HKT > Patong @ ~500Bt (with tip) = AUD$17
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    HKT > Patong @ ~500Bt (with tip) = AUD$17
    If my flight arrives in the afternoon...im gonna stop at the immigration office on the way to patong to get my visa immediately extended. How much you think this will cost for the taxi? 600?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    No one gets 500 baht HKT airport to Patong anymore.

Supflex - if you get out at Immi that'll be two journeys and two fares +/- waiting time.

When are you coming and what time? (I need a holiday elsewhere 555!)
    Last edited by Zablive; 22nd July 2013 at 00:17.

Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post

Supflex - if you get out at Immi that'll be two journeys and two fares +/- waiting time.

Sept - A long time

sorry to disappoint you mate

Foundation Member Uber Star quiksilva's Avatar

Taxi metre is apparently fixed at 650 baht at the moment while they 'wait for the metre rate to rise'. So the kiosk/driver said to me late June.

Newby

I got HKT airport tp Patong in April (2013) for 500 Baht. I used the red/yellow 'meter' taxis at the end of the airport frontage.

I agreed the price before setting off - no meter involved.
    Last edited by Peter; 22nd July 2013 at 05:31.

Cadet Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I got HKT airport tp Patong in April (2013) for 500 Baht. I used the red/yellow 'meter' taxis at the end of the airport frontage.
    In late May they only did fixed rate of 650. I didn't press them very hard though.

Newby
    I tend to do the same thing when I know what I want to buy.

Check the price at one place and get them down as far as they will go.

Then go to a few more places and do the same. Eventually you arrive at a 'bottom' price, which is the price you'll probably have to pay.

I even did this with a tooth filling last time, and got a much better deal than I would have in the UK. The dental work was much better too.

Maybe try holding out a 500 baht bill and that visually might get them to comply or make a deal?

Foundation Member Uber Star quiksilva's Avatar
    This was though the taxi metre kiosk. Was 500 baht last December. Prior to that they were good with the 100+metre.

Quote Originally Posted by quiksilva View Post
    This was though the taxi metre kiosk. Was 500 baht last December. Prior to that they were good with the 100+metre.
    Well whatever...can't blame or be at at them to be honest...

Cadet Bronze
    Taxi meter 600 baht June I tried to get it down to 500 told him that was the price before they just laughed and said 600 you want taxi ? that was for 2 of us they always ask how many people so maybe charge extra per passenger.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar
    Fk the Tuk tuk and taxi mafia. If they baselined their prices with say Bangkok then more people would use them and there would probably be no need for a bus service. They rip people off so it was inevitable someone would eventually step up to offer a cheaper service.

Yet another case of Thais exhibiting short term thinking instead of how their actions would affect their income long term.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by supmate View Post
    ...im gonna stop at the immigration office on the way to patong to get my visa immediately extended.
    That`s the most ridiculous thing i`ve ever heard of...a whole holiday to sort that stuff out...leave your bags with someone you don`t know while you run inside for how long?

I`d be up to my nuts in guts before anything...your a very upside down kid!

ps;you need a valid reason to be granted an extension,what you gonna tell them if you have 30 days,3 months or whatever stamp in your PP from that day?...sheesh.
    Last edited by Moo Uaon; 29th July 2013 at 19:01.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    That`s the most ridiculous thing i`ve ever heard of...a whole holiday to sort that stuff out...leave your bags with someone you don`t know while you run inside for how long?

I`d be up to my nuts in guts before anything...your a very upside down kid!

ps;you need a valid reason to be granted an extension,what you gonna tell them if you have 30 days,3 months or whatever stamp in your PP from that day?...sheesh.
    Alright I guess I'll do it another time...

It's just last time it was a last minute mess...they actually extended it 3 days after I had over-stayed and did it 1 hour after the offices had closed lol because I had a police report with me so they felt bad

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by supmate View Post
    Alright I guess I'll do it another time...

It's just last time it was a last minute mess...they actually extended it 3 days after I had over-stayed and did it 1 hour after the offices had closed lol because I had a police report with me so they felt bad

Keep a clear mind and remember what day of the week it is for your extension. 555!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast