Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 19 dead in Fiery Thai Bus Crash.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar

19 dead in Fiery Thai Bus Crash.

Nineteen people have died and 20 have been injured in a head on crash between a double decker bus and truck in Thailand.

She added that 20 people were injured in the early Tuesday morning crash in central Saraburi province.

19 dead in Thai bus crash | SBS World News

Very sad news.

Usually its the bad driving of the bus drivers to blame with these incidents but a cement truck driver has been charged for crossing to the wrong side of the road and the ensuing head on.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    That is very sad thoughts are with the one's left behind...

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Soupdragon's Avatar
    The cement truck driver fell asleep at the wheel.....

19 killed and many others injured in a road accident in Saraburi - The Nation

Quote Originally Posted by Soupdragon View Post
    I love cruisin around the provinces during my thai holidays , but have always been aware that the risks are so much higher than in Oz. Hearing of this tragedy only makes me so much more aware.

I always intend to travel on during daylight hours but sometimes drive into the night to get to a desired destination. I think I will now take more care in planning my times of travel and be ever mindful to drive defensively.

Divided carriageways provide reduced risk of head on collisions but are only found on the major arteries.

The current annual road toll is 26000, says The Nation. 70% motorcyclists!. The sixth highest toll in the worldz I think it was 15000/Yr about 15 yrs ago.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/nati...-30202066.html

I can remember as a lad in the sixties the annual road toll in Nsw topped 1000 one year, for a population of umm..4million. Its currently 350 for a population of 7.5m.

A WHO report quoted by Wiki shows thailand is towards the worst in the world. ..20 deaths per 100000 inhabitants and 120 deaths per 100000 vehicles but the year is not stated. For Oz in 2011 the nembers were 5 and 8.

Most of the highest numbers are in Africa. Togo top scores with 28/14000!.although PNG has a score of 14/1100, I lived and drove on PNG roads for 10 yrs which was 'exciting'

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/World...h_Organization

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    X|0|0
    0|X|0
    0|0|X...relaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaax

Figures for Tha are somewhat skewed by virtue of accident type. Eg: take away m/b deaths @ 70%+ and of the 30% remaining, a majority would be bus or passenger carrying vehicle incidents, like unrestrained pax in back of pick-up.

I avoid night-time driving, its bad enough by day! Departing home just b4 sun-up one trip we had a semi roar past us at red lights on the #11 near Lamphun. A m/b narrowly missed being swatted like a fly!
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    It happens, we're all human. Tragic, but such is life.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

You think its more dangerous to operate a m/b on a daily basis in bkk or phuket?
    A good night, the best in a long time
    A new friend turned me on to an old favorite

Quote Originally Posted by BangkokSteve View Post
    I love cruisin around the provinces during my thai holidays , but have always been aware that the risks are so much higher than in Oz. Hearing of this tragedy only makes me so much more aware.

I always intend to travel on during daylight hours but sometimes drive into the night to get to a desired destination. I think I will now take more care in planning my times of travel and be ever mindful to drive defensively.

Divided carriageways provide reduced risk of head on collisions but are only found on the major arteries.

The current annual road toll is 26000, says The Nation. 70% motorcyclists!. The sixth highest toll in the worldz I think it was 15000/Yr about 15 yrs ago.

Road death toll in Thailand among highest in the world - The Nation

I can remember as a lad in the sixties the annual road toll in Nsw topped 1000 one year, for a population of umm..4million. Its currently 350 for a population of 7.5m.

A WHO report quoted by Wiki shows thailand is towards the worst in the world. ..20 deaths per 100000 inhabitants and 120 deaths per 100000 vehicles but the year is not stated. For Oz in 2011 the nembers were 5 and 8.

Most of the highest numbers are in Africa. Togo top scores with 28/14000!.although PNG has a score of 14/1100, I lived and drove on PNG roads for 10 yrs which was 'exciting'

World Health Organization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

looks like Northern European countries are the safest places to drive...

List of countries by traffic-related death rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    looks like Northern European countries are the safest places to drive...
    What is amazing is Germany.. Since they do not have a maximum speed on the highways..
    This about prves the messures taken in most of Europe reducing speed to reduce accidents, isn't the way...

Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    What is amazing is Germany.. Since they do not have a maximum speed on the highways..
    This about prves the messures taken in most of Europe reducing speed to reduce accidents, isn't the way...
    most accidents in the UK occur on country roads. Motorways and dual carriageways with a medium barrier and good lighting are amongst the safest...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BangkokSteve View Post

Yeah,driving at night on the open road is a bit of a no no here.

With so many of the locals more than happy to drive around with no lights and often on the wrong side of the road it just increases your chances of getting into trouble,IMO.

Some years ago i decided to push on and get to Mae Sariang after some car and TG eating problems.
    It was only the last hour or so that it was dark but the road to there had no lighting and it was a very dark night so surely the boogy man was out too and would have got us if the car had broken down,according to the TG 555
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    Motoring enthusiast (groups) have been try to tell Politicians and bean-counters this for years. Speed enforcement is too big a revenue earner for most countries to relax the rules although I read somewhere that Canada (or a US State) did do this.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    Yeah,driving at night on the open road is a bit of a no no here.
    As is driving in the rain or wind or, or, or. Just be grateful that Thailand doesn't get snow.

As is driving in the rain or wind or, or, or. Just be grateful that Thailand doesn't get snow.
    Driving in the wet is usually OK as Thai's actually slow down ... especially on winding roads.

One of the worst safety concerns I have with night driving is the high percentage of all-round window tinting on cars. Even by day one cannot see who is inside and they certainly cannot see out in headlight periphery when driving at night.
    Cheers, Rob.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    ^^^^
    Those who tint their front windshield are just plain stupid - it reverses at night.
    It's illegal where I come from.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    ^^^^
    Those who tint their front windshield are just plain stupid - it reverses at night.
    It's illegal where I come from.
    But so is prostitution, yet your town had an open street of it 555
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post

i sure as hell would not be using that analogy, if i lost a family member or loved one in the accident. I would be ensuring the driver is punished to the full extent of the law
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Driving in the wet is usually OK as Thai's actually slow down ... especially on winding roads.
    Maybe where you live they do, on Phuket and around this area they certainly don't. If I have to drive any distance I always check the long range forecast to plan for the best day, I have had too many near misses not to.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    It happens more often when the drivers schedule dictates he has to drive a length of time that would be illegal in a lot of countries and rely on M150 energy drinks and if you believe the gossip Yaba to stay awake.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arliss Michaels View Post
    But so is prostitution, yet your town had an open street of it 555
    Prostitution is not stupid -tinting your windscreen is! 555!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast