Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: scooter's

scooter's

should i or shouldn't i 555

I'm thinking on renting a scooter on my next LOS trip, problem is ive never ever rode a scooter and i haven't been on a motor bike since i was a teenager (10 + years ago 555)

obviously its not a bright idea to ride for the first time in phuket, bangkok, pattaya but could chiang mai be my safest option ? im really keen on this cause im spending 11 days in CM and i really want to explore the country side.

what should i do ? is it to risky or should i get into the mind set of you only live once in life 555

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    Chiang Mai is the ideal place to ride a scooter, only you will know if you feel comfortable, 15mins and your out of town into the countryside, alot safer than Phuket IMO

If you dont normally ride a bike, look everywhere, dont drink and ride, keep left and keep away from the bigger vehicles, make sure your insurance covers riding a Motorbike.

My choice of scooter is a Honda PCX 150cc
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Yeah,nah cant answer that one....up to you?
    Changone likes this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Quote Originally Posted by Rivo View Post
    Chiang Mai is the ideal place to ride a scooter, only you will know if you feel comfortable, 15mins and your out of town into the countryside, alot safer than Phuket IMO

If you dont normally ride a bike, look everywhere, dont drink and ride, keep left and keep away from the bigger vehicles, make sure your insurance covers riding a Motorbike.

My choice of scooter is a Honda PCX 150cc
    thanks for the advice rivo

catch 22 is if i am to be fully covered by any australian travel insurance company i have to have a valid motor bike license
    looks like i might need to pull my finger out and get lessons in OZ and get my licence sorted.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by josho View Post

catch 22 is if i am to be fully covered by any australian travel insurance company i have to have a valid motor bike license
    looks like i might need to pull my finger out and get lessons in OZ and get my licence sorted.
    That is probably the smartest thing to do...
    Practice in your own area where you know the roads and people stick to the rules..

Hansum man like Josh not need hire m/b in CM. Find TG easy with own m/b ... and she will out-ride you!

Getting around town if not familiar with m/b and locale is not for the faint hearted. I would recommend against.
    PeteGill and josho like this.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    if you have never rided a bike..los is not the place to learn unless you out in the country..certainly not in Patong or Patts...rather safe than sorry...but up to you

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    As Rob says, find a lady with a scooter and problem solved.. However if you want to give it a go, rent a bike for a day and start off with the small side Soi's behind Ramming Lodge to get a feel of things.. Once you are comfortable with that venture out a little further and take a ride around the moat. The traffic is one way, so you should soon enough get the hang of it.
    If you do not feel comfortable take the bike back at the end of the day and search a little harder for girl with bike 5555
    Last edited by PeteGill; 26th July 2013 at 03:07.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    is it to risky or should i get into the mind set of you only live once in life 555
    True , but you want to make that once last as long as possible ..
    Quarky and Minder like this.

I think the fact that you are asking on here means you may be a little hesitant and not confident about it?

Not sure about getting on the back with a tiny little TG either as ive seen them weave all over the road very slowly as they look at food stalls etc and not the least bit interested in where they are going and hoping that others avoid them.....although CM a little better.

Wise move. A few years back I helped a young fellow out of a ditch in Phuket. He'd been in Thailand for less than an afternoon, and there he was riding a bike that had been rented in someone else's name because he was not licenced...... after a couple of beers...... without any insurance...... with a damaged bike and a probable broken arm to get sorted.

His drunken mates, realising he was no longer with them, came back. I left them to sort the bike, and paid a tuk tuk driver 500 baht (about 300 over the norm at the time) to take the lad to hospital. I checked that he had got there OK and cleared out.

Riding those little twist 'n' go scoots is easy enough, but a few lessons on handling a two wheeler would certainly be of benefit. Getting licenced will keep your insurance valid, and save time and expense at police checkpoints.

However what you learn about riding in traffic back in Oz will be of limited benefit when it comes to dealing with creative Thai driving habits. Still, it is mainly common sense. As Rivo suggests; stay sober, keep well to the left, be well aware, and stay clear of anything bigger.

The Northern countryside is probably as good a place as any for a first venture on to Thai roads.

Bangkok traffic, though daunting, is relatively orderly so should not pose too much of a problem for an experienced motorcyclist. Pattaya ups the challenge a bit. Phuket is not for the faint hearted though. Many experienced riders from the West choose not to take on the island's mean streets on two wheels.

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    No no and no It can be a trap for experienced riders.
    To much can go wrong and things can be worse than just scraps.
    When we lived in Patts I heard about many farang fatalities...then add bumps and scraps.
    Holiday high spirit no caution and add alcohol for some....What could go wrong?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    If your looking to see the country surrounding, for a couple of days wouldn't it be cheap enough to get a driver for the day?
    The cost of getting your riding license in Aust, would more than cover a few days tour driver.
    Your insurance Co will want you to have an international license as well for coverage, just another $30??
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    The TG and motor bike solution is the best one I reckon... Most of the women I have ridden around with know what they are doing, and are pretty aware of what is going on around them.... except if after a few drinks... different story all together 555

I have ridden around Patong, but only when I absolutely have no choice... I don't feel comfortable, but I am fine riding on the back with most people I have been with. One thing to consider, is if you are going to be on a bike , you will probably have to spring for a helmet. She may only have the one, and more than likely one of those useless thin things they wear to satisfy the law... Don't be cheap about a helmet.... buy a good one... it may save ya

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    You got your Will in order?

Riding a bike for the day in the Hills around CM with a couple of experienced riders would be a good way to spend a day or two. Anything outside that format and if I were you from what you say I would leave a bike alone - just not worth the hassle and the "what if" factors that can pile up.

I don't have a motor bike licence but have ridden a motor cycle plenty of times in LOS - I actually have my own one now courtesy of the father-in-law's failing eyesight - and for places like Ko Chang I might even recommend hiring one - but I also find them a bit of a pain - you can't drink, you have to find parking, you need a helmet and when things break (like blowouts etc) it is a hassle you can do without.

Sure, there is a thrill to riding a bike and it is good to be in control of where and when you go but that soon wears off...

Enjoy...
    Quarky likes this.
    Life is the unexpected ...

Platinum
    Josho
    You have the right attitude - cautious

It is a lot of fun but it is a big risk
    Many farangs drive drunk and so do Thais so I limit nighttime riding
    Buy a crash helmet at Tesco or Big C or similar is only about 500 - 600 baht and better than the real cheap stuff but certainly not what we would use at home.

You must use the visor, the bugs here are the size of birds and I spent a very scary few hours in Patong Hospital with some monster thing that had flown into my eye, not sure whether it stung or bit but it hurt like hell. Grit from trucks/buses passing and is a risk too. Eyes are pretty valuable things to keep.

Everyday in Patong you will see the bandages/grazes on tourists arms and legs and they are the lucky ones, so never get too confident.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    I spent about 12 hours in casualty at BKK-Samui Hospital late last year......

I was the only person seen that day with an illness (kidney stones)...the rest had all been involved in MB accidents...i counted 17 of them...some were returning to have bandages changed or cuts and abrasions cleaned but I'd say about half were new ones with broken bones etc...

this is no place to jump on a bike for the first time thinking you are invincible
    wabbits, Quarky and Minder like this.

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    I rode 7000km in BKK and Patts and had a few close call.
    Late at night Other riders on yaba or tanked was a major concern.
    Was nearly taken out on Soi 22 BKK where it kinks to the left as a young Thai guy was cutting the corner at speed if he had have got me it would have been major hospital time or worse.
    Road conditions is the next thing its either dusty or wet neither great for traction plus pot holes and other less obvious obsticles like mesh grates.

Actually mesh grates are firkin dangerous...Out on Suk behind Patts heading toward the floating markets there are a few real big buggers.
    They need to be avoided as they become mini jumps and can get you airbourne....Trucks drive over them and bend them into nice arcs....Got me once but not at terminal velocity.55555 These will be all over LOS I might add..

Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    Late at night Other riders on yaba or tanked was a major concern.
    Ya...i can testify to that

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน obes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    I spent about 12 hours in casualty at BKK-Samui Hospital late last year......

I was the only person seen that day with an illness (kidney stones)...the rest had all been involved in MB accidents...i counted 17 of them...some were returning to have bandages changed or cuts and abrasions cleaned but I'd say about half were new ones with broken bones etc...

this is no place to jump on a bike for the first time thinking you are invincible
    I also saw plenty of "Samui Tattoos" while there this past April...............

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast