Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Three cheers for the Fino

Three cheers for the Fino

Almost four years ago, Nov 2009, I bought a Yamaha Fino at Chalong, Phuket

Now - 40,400km
    (and never been in an accident - two cautious riders)
    And no signs of it giving up
    Maintained as per handbook, oil every 3,000km (150 baht); replace air cleaner every second time rather than 10,000km recommended - cheap at 150b and they clog up in dusty conditions. Lived rural for a year and it's seen its share of dusty/muddy farm roads. Ridden in all weathers, no choice here there is no bus/taxi/tuktuk.
    Replaced drivebelt at 20,000km - earlier than necessary but 500b better than wait till it breaks out on the road
    Still has the original battery; brakes at 30,000km cost 400b
    Seat re-covered, 250b
    A few sets of tyres, plenty of punctures.
    One headlight bulb, one tail-light bulb have been the only breakages

Changed registration to a Chanthaburi plate; having a Phuket rego plate here seemed to invite Police checks to make sure it wasn't stolen, better to blend in.

Mostly long-ish trips ie not used to pop just down the road.
    Longest was 320km in a day, two-up. I rarely ride it, every Sunday I get to clean it, check brakes, tyre pressures etc. For the last year its been Ms Hatari's work commuter that was 155km per week till June, now 110km (new job). She looked at buying a new one yesterday, 'up to her' but the offer of 10,000 baht trade-in has changed things and will run it till death (Fino, not her)

Don't know how long they are expected to run?
    Before buying it I had a very abused Yamaha Nuovo rental that had 49,000km on it, motor was OK but overall very poorly maintained.

Some of the Phuket rental bikes really are crap - I once hired one and took it straight back, had a slightly buckled and slightly oval-shaped front wheel, shouldn't have been on the road at all but they just put it back in line for the next hirer to come along.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    LOS scooters are certainly the most economical form of transport i know of.

My first MB, in LOS,a Mio,was couple of years old and i kept it for about 2 years with minimal work on it and sold it for the same price i bought it for.

The steering head came loose and Yamaha fixed it for free and apologised for the problem 555

Got a 3 month old Honda Click with 400ks on the clock for 30k baht.
    Four years on and 13,000ks, it still has the original tyres and battery in it and never let me down or had any work done to it other than regular oil changes and a new spark plug and air filter.

Cant beat the little Thai bikes
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    what amazes me is how cheap they are to keep on the road if you have an honest repairer....I have a PCX with 25,000 Ks on it and recently it was running slightly reduced in power and giving off the odd small exhaust fart (compression)...took it to my mate who looks after it and he gave me his bike on loan then stripped it right down and cleaned out every single engine component...he said the main problem was with a valve....3 days later he called to say it was all good and when i went up ti get it the bill was 650 baht...its running like new again now

650 baht is less than many would want just on rental for the PCX he loaned me

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Yes , why rent when they are so cheap and reliable.

Our Fino is one of 3 bikes we have here ( all different) and was bought when it was 18 months old with 12k on it for 18,000 baht.
    Its now got 29,000 kilometres on it 5 years later and its still going strong.

The tg spotted a cute new one with chrome foot plates and leatherette box bags at the dealer the other day for 50k baht.... the mechanic boys felt we'd get 15 to 17k for our one if sold private here in Phuket.

Not bad depreciation at all.
    Finos are a good looking little scoot , particularly for small Thai ladies...

Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    what amazes me is how cheap they are to keep on the road if you have an honest repairer....I have a PCX with 25,000 Ks on it and recently it was running slightly reduced in power and giving off the odd small exhaust fart (compression)...took it to my mate who looks after it and he gave me his bike on loan then stripped it right down and cleaned out every single engine component...he said the main problem was with a valve....3 days later he called to say it was all good and when i went up ti get it the bill was 650 baht...its running like new again now
    Sounds like valve clearances needed to be done which is a matter of removing a cover plate and using a spanner and feeler gauge to reset them which is usually done well before 25k ks.

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    Sounds like valve clearances needed to be done which is a matter of removing a cover plate and using a spanner and feeler gauge to reset them which is usually done well before 25k ks.
    yeah valves have been adjusted on it before but I think a lot more was done during this service...

I went up on the second day to see how they were going with it....the whole motor had been disassembled...the lines all bled and cleared and the head was sitting on a stand with a guy washing in over with a brush and petrol.....they definitely worked on the valves but I don't think they would have needed 3 days just to do that

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Soupdragon's Avatar
    Sounds to me like the valve seat or the valve face was damaged, not just the valve clearances. Not a big job to re-seat them, couple of hours. Probably needed to order new gaskets which took the time.
    Always be yourself.........Unless you can be a Dragon.........Then always be a Dragon.

^ yeah head off would indicate that.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน obes's Avatar
    Wish I could buy a scoot back in oz for the same price as in los.

Looking for a scoot to teach the Mrs how to ride, but they want a fortune for pieces of crap.

It's driving me nuts !!
    crispy likes this.

BTW , does anybody know who can respray scooter parts at a good price and do a good job and are located near me in Kamala ??

Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    BTW , does anybody know who can respray scooter parts at a good price and do a good job and are located near me in Kamala ??
    Not close to Kamala but Anuphas (sp) near Tesco Lotus on the bypass are the best painters I have found on Phuket. Masterwoodsman has his PCX sprayed there and it was quality work.

The little bikes that have long dominated vehicle sales in Thailand are low stress machines, that will last a long time with basic regular maintenance. The likes of the Fino and the Scoopi are relatively expensive to run compared to the likes of the manual change Honda Wave, but many find them more convenient.

My 16 year-old Dream has done over 218,000 km so far, and should be good for a few more. It is an ex-rental, that was well maintained. I bought it a decade ago with 90,000 km on the odometer, and it has never let me down.

I had the engine overhauled (top and bottom end) at about 180,000 km, at a cost of about 4,000 baht. Otherwise it has been just an oil change and a general once over every couple of months or 2,000 km. I get a year or so out of a rear tyre, a couple of years out of brake shoes, and about three years out of the front tyre and a chain and sprockets set. Batteries last 3 or 4 years. Other than those there has been the odd wheel bearing or other bit to replace occasionally. The closest it gets to a wash is riding in the rain.

Thats some serious 'ks' Mick.
    Weve got a 10 year old 'Wave 110' that was stolen and confiscated by cops at a drug lab and a thorough rec 9 months later when we reclaimed it.
    A mechanic added petrol and kicked it and it started straight away!
    Its got 75,000 k on it.
    ( Its street worthy again now , but it'll be donated to the family home in the baan on next visit but.)

We also have the Fino , a Click and an old Mio with surf racks ... love the convenience and thrift of these machines.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Soupdragon View Post
    Sounds to me like the valve seat or the valve face was damaged, not just the valve clearances. Not a big job to re-seat them, couple of hours. Probably needed to order new gaskets which took the time.

yeah...they had the gaskets and some O rings in a baggie to show me...also got a new spark plug and my air intake filter scrubbed out in that price...unbelievable amount of sludge came out of that and the fuel lines

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    The little bikes that have long dominated vehicle sales in Thailand are low stress machines, that will last a long time with basic regular maintenance. The likes of the Fino and the Scoopi are relatively expensive to run compared to the likes of the manual change Honda Wave, but many find them more convenient.

My 16 year-old Dream has done over 218,000 km so far, and should be good for a few more. It is an ex-rental, that was well maintained. I bought it a decade ago with 90,000 km on the odometer, and it has never let me down.

I had the engine overhauled (top and bottom end) at about 180,000 km, at a cost of about 4,000 baht. Otherwise it has been just an oil change and a general once over every couple of months or 2,000 km. I get a year or so out of a rear tyre, a couple of years out of brake shoes, and about three years out of the front tyre and a chain and sprockets set. Batteries last 3 or 4 years. Other than those there has been the odd wheel bearing or other bit to replace occasionally. The closest it gets to a wash is riding in the rain.
    i just replaced the rear tyre after 3 years and 24K clicks....the original front one still seems OK....drive belt changed at 22K.....brake shoes (front) done at same time...rear sometime back..other than that the only part I have changed was a brake cable (hand break to ignition was faulty)

Scoopys and Finos

For first six months 2013 there were 500,092 new automatic bikes sold in Thailand (46% of all bike sales 1,097,490)
    Honda has an overall 74% market share, that's a lot of Scoopys, Zoomers etc on the road

Sales figures

Ever seen one of these?
    One from the past - and who doesn't like 'girls with guns'?

The EZ-90 Cub was Hondas family bike of the early nineties. Designed to make motorcycles less “antisocial” the EZ-90 hid all of it’s running gear beneath it’s “futuristic” plastic bodywork. An automatic transmission made it easy to ride and it’s off road ability made it the ultimate family leisure bike. Powered by a 2-stroke 90cc single cylinder engine it was no road racer but it was guaranteed to deliver plenty of grins.

I was gonna add that there is some new model scoots appeared in the Honda shop that I havent seen properly yet.

I was gonna add that there is some new model scoots appeared in the Honda shop that I havent seen properly yet.
    That prompted me to have a look, I haven't seen this one before.......

http://www.motorcycle.in.th/article....10_and_Click-i

I will have to go down and look....
    One model has a name that Briofoz described as stupid , and one new model had one with 2 letters like 'c-N'.
    So later than your post Soupy...

I will have to go down and look....
    One model has a name that Briofoz described as stupid , and one new model had one with 2 letters like 'c-N'.
    So later than your post Soupy...
    Sunday morning jetlag. That link I posted is from 2008. My bad.

revisiting this thread - a year ago July 2013 I wrote:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
    Almost four years ago, Nov 2009, I bought a Yamaha Fino at Chalong, Phuket
    Now - 40,400km
    well, July 2014 and it's just hit 50,000km
    The original battery died at 46,000km
    Apart from punctures, oil changes and fuel that is the only expense in last year; it's due for a new drive belt about 500 baht at next oil change, and a new pair of tyres soon too. Raises the annual expenses!

MsH is buying a new scooter this month; not decided but maybe not 'new'. Another Fino or a Scoopy.

A Yamaha dealer in the city has about 10 repo bikes, all under a year old, still under warranty - they sold them new through their own finance scheme and have repo'd for non-payment, selling at around 35,000 baht. One has under 2000km on it.

Over to the panel - tubeless or not?
    Punctures an endless hassle with the kms she does and with the present bike - tubes - easy to get repairs while-u-wait with numerous roadside places, for 150 baht.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast