Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Nomad

Thread: Expedia - getting your cash back (I hope!)

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar

Expedia - getting your cash back (I hope!)

Booked a hotel through Expedia back in January, which I cancelled in April.

Followed up with them in May, June and again at the start of August and today. Still no cash, just excuses and failed promises.

No way I will be using them again.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

Have used Expedia often but never tried for cancellation/refund

Last year I stayed at a hotel in KL booked through hotels.com, had booked with credit card, arrived and sign at desk says 'cash only no credit cards' so I paid and got a receipt

On return found they had - after we had departed - debited my CC for the three nights accomm.
    Straight on to hotels.com and they got back to me same day to confirm they had my email, next day an email saying it was being sorted, took about 10 days and CC was re-credited.
    Wonder how often they get away with that scam? many travelers may not check, for me i only use CC for travel and eg for that month/trip there were only two debits, one for airfare the second the bogus hotel charge.

Good luck with your refund

PGC
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PGC's Avatar
    I had a flight booked with Expedia and they changed the flight details and cancelled the original flight. I was offered, and took, their offer of a full refund. Got it, but it took 4 months. So you should get yours next month if they follow the same policy. They probably make as much by hanging on to your money for a few months as they made on the original booking.

does anyone know what's the refund time frame like for agoda ?

Cadet Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by josho View Post
    does anyone know what's the refund time frame like for agoda ?
    I've had refunds from Agoda twice. I can't remember exactly how long it took, but it was less than a week.

zen
    Cadet
    I have had several refunds from Agoda, they have always been very efficient with re-crediting my card,normally within a week or so.

thanks guys, puts my mind at ease

Had another blew with Expedia. They promised to escalate the issue again on Monday and call me that night. No cash or call by Friday night, so call them again. Still haven't paid the cash. They tried to argue that they had paid it back in May. I dealt with this issue in June, so couldn't believe it...thought we were back to square one. After about 15 minutes of arguing he puts me on hold for a few minutes. He then comes back on and says he just spoke to my bank and they confirmed that they returned the cash in May so he would now immediately pay the refund. Yeah right...no checking at his end to see if they got the cash back!!! Must be up to broken promise and BS story number 6 by now.

What really gave me the sh!ts was how he kept on saying how efficient they are, number 1 online travel agent etc, and saying that it is because it went outside the normal process that has caused the problem. Who gives, stop promising and not delivering and give me my cash!
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

^^ thanks for the insight nomad, there's no way in hell i would book a hotel through Expedia

I've used Expedia a lot for hotels and flights and had numerous refunds and trip changes etc..... never a problem over about 7 or 8 years of using them... then again I have only ever dealt with UK Expedia...

Hopefully just an isolated incident Nomad. Unless others have had similar issues?
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

I have the pleasure of dealing with the Indian call centre. I assume you would end up there too.

You can always tell the quality of a business by the way they deal with something that veers slightly outside their standard process. Although, my situation would have been experienced before often enough to expect them to have an efficient procedure.
    Minder likes this.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    i've had a couple of refunds from Agoda ...once when I did not think I was entitled to it ...just spent a night in a Bangkok hotel for Agoda points plus $A5 from me. .... Agoda gets my vote hands down

(did use Expedia once or twice over the years with no problems)

Enjoy..
    Life is the unexpected ...

Requesting for refunds, waiting and hoping you’ll get your money back just validates my policy on booking accommodation.

I very rarely pay in advance even if it includes a discount. I prefer to have my money in my pocket.

Was is Robert T. Kiyosaki in Rich Dad Poor Dad who said “always pay yourself first”?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Had another blew with Expedia. They promised to escalate the issue again on Monday and call me that night. No cash or call by Friday night, so call them again. Still haven't paid the cash. They tried to argue that they had paid it back in May. I dealt with this issue in June, so couldn't believe it...thought we were back to square one. After about 15 minutes of arguing he puts me on hold for a few minutes. He then comes back on and says he just spoke to my bank and they confirmed that they returned the cash in May so he would now immediately pay the refund. Yeah right...no checking at his end to see if they got the cash back!!! Must be up to broken promise and BS story number 6 by now.

What really gave me the sh!ts was how he kept on saying how efficient they are, number 1 online travel agent etc, and saying that it is because it went outside the normal process that has caused the problem. Who gives, stop promising and not delivering and give me my cash!
    it is just service these days throughout
    it has become abysmal
    i am surprised when things go right and i get what i paid for!

we had a delivery from IKEA, we booked 9am-1pm. they guy called at 12pm and said he'd be there at 5pm. i left for holiday and my wife told me they came at 9pm!!
    when i called to get my money back they tried to argue but i wasn't haven't
    companies just don't care anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    No way I will be using them again.
    Just finished my weekly Expedia phone call as still no refund.

However, a small break-through. This guy kept me on the line while processing my refund and I now have an automated email confirming payment. Hopefully, my confidence won't be shattered next Friday.

After getting the email confirming payment, I asked to speak to his supervisor to register a complaint, particularly given that the guy I spoke with last week was so friggin condescending and told me that he couldn't do the refund and email me a confirmation. Stated that I would receive an email in one or two days when processed. Another lie and another broken promise.

One piece of good news is that the supervisor said he will process a $50 voucher to my account as a good will gesture. I won't be holding my breath for that one! But I will have to use Expedia again one more time, if it arrives in my account!

Finally received the refund, and also the $50 voucher! A day of my life I will never get back...

Congrats on getting your money back. The voucher is a trick to get you hooked up into there system again. Do you really want to use it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mate View Post
    Congrats on getting your money back. The voucher is a trick to get you hooked up into there system again. Do you really want to use it?
    I expect I will use it, but probably for a single night's accommodation that has a low chance of being cancelled.

about time you got ya money back