Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Results 1 to 19 of 19
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By YankeeDK
  • 1 Post By Bawdy

Thread: Would you book this flight?

  1. #1
    Cadet Gold
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Age
    39
    Posts
    488

    Would you book this flight?

    I am looking at flights for my next trip and I came across a good deal, but...

    It's with Finnair with a connection in Helsinki. Going to Bangkok the lay over is only 50 minutes and going back it's 40 minutes. That seems like very little time as they usually close international gates 20 minutes before departure. Have any of you tried such a short lay over? Also keep in mind that this is Helsinki in January. Delays are probably not unusual. I just don't want to be stuck there on my way to Bangkok...

  2. #2
    Cadet Gold
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Age
    39
    Posts
    488
    I could add that the best alternatives are Turkish Airlines or Egypt Air which are 600 DKK (3500 baht) more expensive.

  3. #3
    Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Perth , Australia
    Age
    59
    Posts
    3,513
    Long answer:
    Transit times are only a worry when you are changing flights completely - as we often do in Singapore - clearing immigration, grabbing your luggage, getting upstairs to departures and checking in as if you just got out of a local taxi not an international plane. In those cases we have to worry about flight delays and short transit times (so far so good)..... but as long as we are booked thru with the same airline/on the same ticket from Point A to Point B I don't worry about transit times at stop overs - as far as I am concerned, in those cases, my making the connecting flight is their problem.
    Short answer: yeah book the flight

    Enjoy...
    Life is the unexpected ...

  4. #4
    Cadet Gold
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Age
    39
    Posts
    488
    Quote Originally Posted by Minder View Post
    Long answer:
    Transit times are only a worry when you are changing flights completely - as we often do in Singapore - clearing immigration, grabbing your luggage, getting upstairs to departures and checking in as if you just got out of a local taxi not an international plane. In those cases we have to worry about flight delays and short transit times (so far so good)..... but as long as we are booked thru with the same airline/on the same ticket from Point A to Point B I don't worry about transit times at stop overs - as far as I am concerned, in those cases, my making the connecting flight is their problem.
    Short answer: yeah book the flight

    Enjoy...
    Thanks. Yea I know it is their responsibility if I miss the flight, but I have just had some bad experiences in the past with short lay overs. The upside is of course that the total flight time is very close to a direct flight

  5. #5
    Organic AI Quarky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    52,056
    I flew BA from Manchester to Auckland. Stopover one hour in London. Change of planes though still BA. I made it... my luggage did not...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team


  6. #6
    Cadet Gold
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Age
    39
    Posts
    488
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    I flew BA from Manchester to Auckland. Stopover one hour in London. Change of planes though still BA. I made it... my luggage did not...
    I tried pretty much the same. I was going to Chicago with a connection in London. My luggage came the day after. Same happened when I was going to Mallorca via Barcelona, and once I flew to Houston via Frankfurt and missed the flight completely. This is why I am a bit scared of short lay overs.
    Quarky likes this.

  7. #7
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Nth Brisbane Qld Aust.
    Posts
    12,817
    You say your alternative is an extra 3,500bt. For peace of mind I think that's not a lot extra.
    What price do you put on worrying about delay, for the whole of the first leg, and then having no gear for a day or two, or worse, not how i want to start my holiday.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

  8. #8
    Cadet Gold
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Age
    39
    Posts
    488
    Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post
    You say your alternative is an extra 3,500bt. For peace of mind I think that's not a lot extra.
    What price do you put on worrying about delay, for the whole of the first leg, and then having no gear for a day or two, or worse, not how i want to start my holiday.
    It's true that it is not much in the big picture, but I just found out something else. Finnair have 2 daily flights to BKK so I can pick the next one which gives me a lay over of 2h40m instead of just 50m. That means I will land 9:15 am instead of 7:25 am, so that's probably better too with traffic from the airport, and I will probably have to wait to check in as well.

    Problem solved but thanks for the advice

  9. #9
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Soi 6, Pattaya.
    Posts
    2,561
    Quote Originally Posted by YankeeDK View Post
    I am looking at flights for my next trip and I came across a good deal, but...

    It's with Finnair with a connection in Helsinki ...
    Quote Originally Posted by YankeeDK View Post
    I could add that the best alternatives are Turkish Airlines or Egypt Air which are 600 DKK (3500 baht) more expensive.
    Finnair has been voted the safest airline in the world, the other 2 are amoungst the very worst for safety.

  10. #10
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    4,805
    Go for it YDK.

  11. #11
    Cadet Gold
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Age
    39
    Posts
    488
    Quote Originally Posted by Bawdy View Post
    Finnair has been voted the safest airline in the world, the other 2 are amoungst the very worst for safety.
    Good to know. The tickets are booked now

  12. #12
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Soi 6, Pattaya.
    Posts
    2,561
    YankeeDK likes this.

  13. #13
    Cadet Gold mechime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    341
    I look at the low cost Finnair and short flight times, I would go for them and I am suprised to read the bad in-service reviews (little spoken English), being a Nokia phone fan and all!

  14. #14
    Cadet Gold
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Age
    39
    Posts
    488
    Quote Originally Posted by mechime View Post
    I look at the low cost Finnair and short flight times, I would go for them and I am suprised to read the bad in-service reviews (little spoken English), being a Nokia phone fan and all!
    That is really strange. The schools and education are good in Finland. I did fly with Finnair once but only to Helsinki and it was almost 10 years ago. Anyway I will give them a review in my coming TR

  15. #15
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน chelski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Perth
    Age
    64
    Posts
    1,989
    I have done a transit flight with about 50 mins layover and although I was very concerned, there was no problem with it. If the airline allows that sort of connection and there is a delay that causes you to miss the connection, then they are obliged to get you on the next available flight I think.

    If you were booking two separate flights and chancing it (having to clear customs), then the fault is yours to fix, not the airlines, so is then your problem.

    Most of the flights from Perth to UK with Emirates, only have about 90 min layover in Dubai, and is plenty of time as you do not have to clear customs. Just about time for a couple of quick pints in the Irish Bar and then back on the plane.
    Last edited by chelski; 28th October 2013 at 10:17.

  16. #16
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Phuket
    Posts
    9,708
    ^^^
    Light beer I trust 555!

  17. #17
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน chelski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Perth
    Age
    64
    Posts
    1,989
    Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    ^^^
    Light beer I trust 555!
    Very funny one that Baz, was before my operation
    But nearly had an attack when I realised they had charged me nearly $20 a pint for Stella in there.

  18. #18
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    .
    Posts
    12,399
    If its a layover with the same airline, you shouldn't have a problem.
    Royal Brunei London/Dubai/Bandar Seri Begawan/Perth is a milk run with two short layovers but cheaper because of it.
    Usually you leave the aircraft, wander around the terminal for a bit and then queue up all over again.


  19. #19
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Soi 6, Pattaya.
    Posts
    2,561
    ^ We service Royal Brunei here in Melbourne, they really do have some cheap fares to London.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •