Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Singapore stopover for 9 hours

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar

Singapore stopover for 9 hours

Been looking at flights form BKK to Melb and found one by Jetstar with a 9 hour Stopover in Singapore for 7000B with taxes (cheapest i have been able to find) Would there be anything to do near the airport for 9 hours that is worth seeing or whould I be better off speanding the extra 3000-4000b to get a direct flight? I have already checked and you do not need a Visa to stay in Singapore if you are from Australia or Thailand (as GF will be with me)

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    Normally the direct flight is cheaper than the SNG stop over.... it's an epic flight turning it into 22hrs or close to

Quote Originally Posted by PatongBeachBoy View Post
    Normally the direct flight is cheaper than the SNG stop over.... it's an epic flight turning it into 22hrs or close to
    This one is a special on the Jetstar Thailand website. I would prefer a direct flight, but figure with 9 hours in another country could do something and save some money at the same time, but thinking about it, if I do anything that money I save could well be spent...

especially in SNG... shopping Mecca... but 7000bht is cheap

Quote Originally Posted by PatongBeachBoy View Post
    especially in SNG... shopping Mecca... but 7000bht is cheap
    7000bt each ($233aud) so it could be worth it saving the $300 odd for the 2 tickets... I don't think we could do much shopping as Luggage would have been checked in... At least that is what I would telll Noy 5555

Not even sure if your allowed to leave the transit lounge... might want to check that out

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    SNG is a massive airport with lots of shops$$$$, Cafe's a movie Theatre, Wifi etc, but I had a 4 hour stopover there and it grind to a boring halt (I was travelling solo though) so not sure how 9 would compare. Have known people who have had stopovers, going out of Airport and a quick trip to Zoo and sightsee etc previously.

Check out this post on another forum, it may help Singapore Airlines-can you leave airport at Singapore? : British Expat Discussion Forum
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    You need to factor in the cost of a singapore sightseeing trip to cover the nine hours which would include taxis, meals, left luggage care and the inevitable shopping.
    My advice would be fly direct as you get those nine hours back exactly where you want them.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    You need to factor in the cost of a singapore sightseeing trip to cover the nine hours which would include taxis, meals, left luggage care and the inevitable shopping.
    My advice would be fly direct as you get those nine hours back exactly where you want them.
    Yeah that is one thing i was thinking about, I could well spend over the $300 saved in having a look around, but I could could also beanother expereince as i have never been to Singapore. I think the direct option have more going for it. I have been waiting for the deals and Not had any luck there. Mightjust have to bite the bullet

Foundation Member Platinum Condo's Avatar
    You wont even have to leave the airport. There is a reason why its been voted the best airport in the world.

Leisure & Indulgences - Changi Airport
    Entertainment & Lifestyle - Changi Airport

Go watch a movie, have a swim in the pool or have a nap in a ST room at one of the 3 transit hotels.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Condo View Post
    You wont even have to leave the airport. There is a reason why its been voted the best airport in the world.

Go watch a movie, have a swim in the pool or have a nap in a ST room at one of the 3 transit hotels.
    They only do ST no LT at SNG 555

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar

Why is KL not like that!!!

I am actually liking the idea of the stopover now.

Ok, I booked it, Watch this everyone will have sales now for direct flights lol. Oh well I have never been to Singapore and its looks good and for that price can't complain too much. I will let you know how the ST rooms are

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar

Total agreement here. I usually enjoy my stop-over time there.

Changi is worth a stop-over just to see it. 9 hours is a long stop-over but you will be surprised how quick the time goes.

Mrs M and I have spent many hours in transit at Changi and if you must spend time in an airport then make it Changi - food prices are reasonable, there is free internet and wi-fi everywhere, lots to see and do, heck there is even a butterfly enclosure. On a first visit you will spend several hours just wandering around taking it all in.

***Ambassador Transit Hotel*** Have used the Transit hotel at the airport but unless you are badly in need of a sleep I would not bother for a 9 hour stopover (and there are plenty of comfortable chairs in quiet locations throughout the airport anyway).

If you are flying Jetstar to and from Changi you will be able to book your luggage thru - no point to point crap nowaday. You can leave the airport and go into town if you want to (about $25 for a taxi or take the train from the lower levels for a couple of bucks each). No hassle entery and exit for you and your TG through customs in Singapore.

Jetstar passengers can use the Qantas Club if you are a member - it's in Terminal 1.

Enjoy :glasses:
    Life is the unexpected ...

Quote Originally Posted by Minder View Post
    Total agreement here. I usually enjoy my stop-over time there.

Changi is worth a stop-over just to see it. 9 hours is a long stop-over but you will be surprised how quick the time goes.

Mrs M and I have spent many hours in transit at Changi and if you must spend time in an airport then make it Changi - food prices are reasonable, there is free internet and wi-fi everywhere, lots to see and do, heck there is even a butterfly enclosure. On a first visit you will spend several hours just wandering around taking it all in.

***Ambassador Transit Hotel*** Have used the Transit hotel at the airport but unless you are badly in need of a sleep I would not bother for a 9 hour stopover (and there are plenty of comfortable chairs in quiet locations throughout the airport anyway).

If you are flying Jetstar to and from Changi you will be able to book your luggage thru - no point to point crap nowaday. You can leave the airport and go into town if you want to (about $25 for a taxi or take the train from the lower levels for a couple of bucks each). No hassle entery and exit for you and your TG through customs in Singapore.

Jetstar passengers can use the Qantas Club if you are a member - it's in Terminal 1.

Enjoy :glasses:
    I think I made the right choise then, everyone I have talked to has told me it is well worth it. I will keep this in mind for future trips as well as I have seen a few flights with stop overs here but always tried to avoid the stopovers in the past. I am actually a little excited to see it 555. I am flying with Jetstar (also a Qantas member ) so does that mean I will not have to collect baggage then check it in again? That would make things so much easier again

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    I have had a few stopovers in Singapore and enjoy them. If you have not been to Singapore before I would suggest grab a cab, all speak english, negotiate a 3 to 4 hour tour, they will tell you how much time you have before you need to be back in Airport.

You will have time to go to Sentosa Island, worth going by cablecar oneway and get the taxi to meet you at the other end, great view over the harbour/island/ and you will see the new Universal Studios Fun Park, very impressive

Last time I was in Singapore we had 2 hours to kill and found a new Mercedes Taxi and he agreed to $50 AUD for a tour(2 hours) with the meter off, great bloke and told us everything he knew about Singapore. I was surprised to learn that Singapore imports everything, even Water/Sand/Building Products/Food/Workers from nearby countries, he said they have no natural resources, very impressive clean/tidy city.

I could be wrong, but I'm sure I read that SNG has one of the highest GDP in the world due to a lack of natural resources
    Last edited by PatongBeachBoy; 15th March 2011 at 11:48.

I have never been to Singapore so a tour would be good. I did see on the Singapore Airport Website that they do offer tours from the airport. I am sure they would be much more expensive then a Taxi so might grab a taxi and go for a drive. My parents have been to Singapore a while back and they keep saying how clean the place was, how humid it was and how good the shopping is there. But they told me it is a very good place to see.

Off topic a little, just by chance went onto website of carrier travelling with in May and our flight times changed without getting any notification. So rang them up to say impacts on Hotel bookings, so was offered later flight next day no change flight charge, so with flight over leaving earlier and later flight back end up with almost an extra day at almost no cost

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast