Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Ibis Hotel

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar

Ibis Hotel

So I may be heading to LOS in a couple of weeks in totally unplanned short trip.
    They are doing something for my wife's dad and I haven't been there forever so I felt i should go, stop making my wife lose face 555

The thing is I am trying to do this pretty cheap this time around since it wasn't planned.
    My CC miles has a great deal on the IBIS Riverside and it looks great and the reviews are pretty good

I know it is sort of a budget hotel, but has anyonme stayed there?
    Also, since it is a budget hotel, how is the clientele?

Thanks

Looks all right to me... not budget budget...

reviews seem reasonable on Agoda.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Haven't stayed there, and wouldn't call it budget..
    When travelling with my kids, I stayed to a riverside place called riverfront residence hotel, because they had 3 br apartments...
    Similar price, and similar distance to Sukhumvit..

Worked fine for my purpose, but it is a long way to go anywhere..
    Ibis is near Taksin bridge and has the MRT, so more convenient to go anywhere during the day..

What do you intend to do while there? Not much around, so a lot of MRT and taxi's if you want to go anywhere..

Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    Haven't stayed there, and wouldn't call it budget..
    When travelling with my kids, I stayed to a riverside place called riverfront residence hotel, because they had 3 br apartments...
    Similar price, and similar distance to Sukhumvit..

Worked fine for my purpose, but it is a long way to go anywhere..
    Ibis is near Taksin bridge and has the MRT, so more convenient to go anywhere during the day..

What do you intend to do while there? Not much around, so a lot of MRT and taxi's if you want to go anywhere..
    I am perfectly fine to stay by the pool and just go local to eat/drink
    I am not too much into lower Suk anymore, although we may go out one night around there but taxi is fine for that

So being by there is not an isse, i actually prefer it

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Weren't you planning on visiting Thailand in March , I thought you had been looking at accommodation in Samui or am I getting confused ?

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    Weren't you planning on visiting Thailand in March , I thought you had been looking at accommodation in Samui or am I getting confused ?
    haha
    you remember correctly
    i was planning a proper trip but cancelled because in WP limbo
    this trip is just a quick 10 day family thing.....hence why i am trying to just do it with miles and a bit cheaper than usual
    Stillearly likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    I haven't stayed at this one, but I have stayed at Ibis Sathorn many times. 3 star hotel, no pool. 10 minute walk Lumphini MRT. Good food options, massage, etc at your door. No nightlife here though.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

haven't stayed at the riverside one but i have staid at the bkk nana, pattaya, & patong ibis hotels. all nice budget hotels, clean rooms, friendly staff, free wifi and its guest friendly. but i did find the rooms a little small and the breakfast was sub par. but for the price i cant complain.
    Last edited by josho; 22nd March 2014 at 11:16.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    I haven't stayed at this one, but I have stayed at Ibis Sathorn many times. 3 star hotel, no pool. 10 minute walk Lumphini MRT. Good food options, massage, etc at your door. No nightlife here though.
    We are a fan of Sathorn ourselves, stayed over there many times and my preference. I just not into lower Suk and being in the too touristy area. Over there you just blend in.
    Plus, being over at Sathorn/Riverside makes taking a taxi to Ao's house in Samut Prakan so much easier and if we both don't go she is usually there most days

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    We are a fan of Sathorn ourselves, stayed over there many times and my preference. I just not into lower Suk and being in the too touristy area. Over there you just blend in.
    Plus, being over at Sathorn/Riverside makes taking a taxi to Ao's house in Samut Prakan so much easier and if we both don't go she is usually there most days
    Did you consider staying in Samut Prakan itself?

Did you consider staying in Samut Prakan itself?
    SamutPrakan actually has decent hotels to stay in and we spend a lot of time there
    But when i am away, i spend a lot of time at the pool/beach.....it is what i look forward to
    Even if a hotel in SamutPrakan had a pool, it wouldn't be that great of a setting

That is why the IBIS appeals so much to me, the pool area is such a nice setting, it looks even nicer than the Shangri-La pool area on the river

Choice made then...!

Choice made then...!
    well, i got to make the decision to get my ass to the country!
    but if i do....then the hotel choice in BKK is made 555

It would be pretty hard to beat the pool area of the Shangri-La but using your miles to pay for it is definitely a bonus

Quote Originally Posted by Mate View Post
    It would be pretty hard to beat the pool area of the Shangri-La but using your miles to pay for it is definitely a bonus
    I love Bangkok, it usually is my favorite part of my trip
    But with it being the 1st place I go on my holiday, I look for relaxing pool settings to get into holiday mode asap

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน chelski's Avatar
    SamutPrakan actually has decent hotels to stay in and we spend a lot of time there
    But when i am away, i spend a lot of time at the pool/beach.....it is what i look forward to
    Even if a hotel in SamutPrakan had a pool, it wouldn't be that great of a setting

That is why the IBIS appeals so much to me, the pool area is such a nice setting, it looks even nicer than the Shangri-La pool area on the river
    Be careful with the Ibis, we looked at the Samui one and had wonderful photos of the grounds/pool etc. We decided against it and stayed at a place just down the road. Because of its cheapness, they get over run with families and screaming kids. Even at its 3 star listing, they were very creative in the property descriptions, grounds size etc.
    Have a look on Tripadvisor and see what the recent postings are like, We were glad we made the change and did not go there.

Quote Originally Posted by chelski View Post
    Be careful with the Ibis, we looked at the Samui one and had wonderful photos of the grounds/pool etc. We decided against it and stayed at a place just down the road. Because of its cheapness, they get over run with families and screaming kids. Even at its 3 star listing, they were very creative in the property descriptions, grounds size etc.
    Have a look on Tripadvisor and see what the recent postings are like, We were glad we made the change and did not go there.
    TA has glowing reviews but that was my worry, exactly. Getting over run by families, although I will be a family myself, so can't really complain!

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน chelski's Avatar
    TA has glowing reviews but that was my worry, exactly. Getting over run by families, although I will be a family myself, so can't really complain!
    I really do not think it would be so bad in BKK City as that is not a place i would think families with young kids would visit. But the likes of Phuket, Samui etc hotels (cheaper ones especially) are getting overrun with families taking advantage of the cheap flights from Aus.

Book with one of the sites that lets you pay on departure from the hotel. That way if there is a problem, you may be able to negotiate cutting the trip short.

My GF looks for family unfriendly hotels on TA when she uses it now 555555

Quote Originally Posted by chelski View Post
    I really do not think it would be so bad in BKK City as that is not a place i would think families with young kids would visit. But the likes of Phuket, Samui etc hotels (cheaper ones especially) are getting overrun with families taking advantage of the cheap flights from Aus.

Book with one of the sites that lets you pay on departure from the hotel. That way if there is a problem, you may be able to negotiate cutting the trip short.

My GF looks for family unfriendly hotels on TA when she uses it now 555555
    well, we have a 3yr old and a 13yr old, but we are a good family 555

but i hear ya
    this would be on miles so i would be stuck with it, but there are worse things to be stuck with i guess
    thanks for the input bud

I love Bangkok, it usually is my favorite part of my trip
    But with it being the 1st place I go on my holiday, I look for relaxing pool settings to get into holiday mode asap
    I always look for a relaxing pool setting.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast