Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: To hire a MB or Not to?

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar

To hire a MB or Not to?

Hey guys Just curious to know who is brave enough to ride on LOS roads and hires the Motorbikes when on holiday.

I personally love to ride bikes and don't own my own road bike at home so I will hire one as soon as a get the chance. It is a little scary at times riding there but It is also great fun and much cheaper way to get around. Say you pay 250b a day for a bike and you use it to go to and from Bangla Rd once you have nearly saved money already as the the Tuk Tuk prices are outrageous and even a rip off at times in Patong.

While on the topic anyone had any problems while riding in LOS?

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    Not a Motorbike guy myself... Thip has one in Nong Khai to get around on... Patong is small enough to not even really consider and BKK is too busy

forgot to say that we've had 2 close calls in Nong Khai and it's not even that busy!

I will admit that BKK is just crazy so that is not for me either, But will ride just about everywhere else.

have done the MB taxi a couple of times in BKK... just crazy

Foundation Member Uber Star quiksilva's Avatar
    MB taxi's for me around Patong.
    Might venture out this time and hire one :-S

Quote Originally Posted by quiksilva View Post
    MB taxi's for me around Patong.
    Might venture out this time and hire one :-S
    or you could jump on the back with the TG and I will give you as much **** as I can 5555

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G4orce View Post
    Hey guys Just curious to know who is brave enough to ride on LOS roads and hires the Motorbikes when on holiday.

I personally love to ride bikes and don't own my own road bike at home so I will hire one as soon as a get the chance. It is a little scary at times riding there but It is also great fun and much cheaper way to get around. Say you pay 250b a day for a bike and you use it to go to and from Bangla Rd once you have nearly saved money already as the the Tuk Tuk prices are outrageous and even a rip off at times in Patong.

We have a motor bike at our house in BKK. I'll ride it on the 6km of roadway that is our own soi and on the surrounding roads but never further afield.

Too dangerous because I don't think like a local when riding.

- example - I am on the main road and another rider approaches a T intersection from a side road facing a Give Way / Stop sign - as a farang I automatically expect him to slow/stop/give way - as a Thai he knows there is room on the road for both of us - if I move over a little - and so he comes straight thru.

Hired a motor bike on Ko Chang (200 baht a day) and would do so again, have ridden a little around Pattaya on friend's bikes and a lot when up country - Nakon Sawan - around the in-law's place. Bikes have there uses but don't go well with alcohol.

I would only ride a bike on Phuket if staying in an out of the way area - never around Patong - too many idiot farangs on the road there.

Enjoy
    Life is the unexpected ...

Quote Originally Posted by Minder View Post
    I would only ride a bike on Phuket if staying in an out of the way area - never around Patong - too many idiot farangs on the road there.

Enjoy
    I would have to say there are a lot of idiot falang on MBs in Patong, they feel they need to fit in with the locals. I feel the Falang are the ones to look out for as the locals do it everyday and know what they are doing while falang are new to it all and are the ones causing problems

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G4orce View Post

I've ridden bikes all my life so no problem in phuket. Still, I had a spill last time and I have had several near misses while riding there. If you choose to ride, you've got to be up for all that at some stage. Plus you will get stopped by the police for licence/helmet donations and you need to consider parking issues/fines too. If you like a drink, forget riding, MB taxis are cheap enough. Plus, I would try to get accomodation closer to Bangla road and cut out the TukTuks altogether.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    I hired a big bike, both in Patong, and Pattaya. Had the one in Patts for 4 weeks. Patong is easy compared to Patts, but still dangerous.

I have ridden most of my life. The old saying is, if you don't ride at home, don't ride away, if you do ride, don't ride anything bigger than you ride at home.

I found, most of the time, the locals were good, once you learnt how they ride. The farangs, generally didn't have a clue and caused most of the trouble. Maybe I was just lucky. You really do have to have your witts about you, and ride defensivly. Dial your agression down, and your tollerence level to the max.

Make sure you wear a helmet (poor excuse for one) or you will be fined every 100m and you need to have a motor bike licence or you will be fined. I hired in Patong, went over to Karong and got police checked at the bottom of the hill.

The road conditions are very poor, you come around a corner and there will be loose rocks or dirt without any warning. Also don't believe you have right to your side of the road, you will switch into the apex of a corner, only to find a tuck tuck coming the other way, overtaking a moped and is half on your side of the road.

Having said all that, the rides both South and North are great fun, and give excelent views.

Good luck and stay safe.

You can get a better deal than 250 baht per day. I had one @ 150 baht last trip. Around Phuket is pretty easy if you take it slow except for that HILL.... it's scary!
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    You can get a better deal than 250 baht per day. I had one @ 150 baht last trip. Around Phuket is pretty easy if you take it slow except for that HILL.... it's scary!
    Yes Rob, It was scary.

Especialy when i lost the breaks. 5555

I cooked the break fluid, and so came down the hill at break neck speed, with a Thai girl on back, she had no idea.555

We passed cars and moped's at a massive rate, speed growing, out of control, then after bouncing off cars and mopeds, we hit the bottom, and turned left, coasted to a stop. She had no idear, when i showed her the break had nothing, she grabed her heart ahd screamed. 555555

Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post
    Yes Rob, It was scary.

Especialy when i lost the breaks. 5555

I cooked the break fluid, and so came down the hill at break neck speed, with a Thai girl on back, she had no idea.555

We passed cars and moped's at a massive rate, speed growing, out of control, then after bouncing off cars and mopeds, we hit the bottom, and turned left, coasted to a stop. She had no idear, when i showed her the break had nothing, she grabed her heart ahd screamed. 555555
    Was that our friend Poo by any chance?
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Hired one here in Patong rode down to Rawai yesterday has a blast and up to Surin beach today going to hilltop restaurant south of Kata in the morning. Roads quiet compared to Pataya and BKK.

QUOTE=kaptainrob;4054]Was that our friend Poo by any chance? [/QUOTE]

Yes mate, the very one 55555

This was the bike

SDC10164.jpg[

Here's a shameless plug for the best motorbike rental business in Patong.... Cheap as Chips >www.motorbikerentalphuket.com< is owned by the lovely Cat, partner of Brian, both personal friends and very nice people to do business with.
    Cheers, Rob.