Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sending luggage home

Sending luggage home

Hi all, after my time in LOS I'm off to Vietnam for another 2 weeks and don't want to have to drag my suitcase around with me as I won't be staying in resorts, more of a backpacking destination where I'll jump from place to place only staying a night or two. (I've been before twice and plan on seeing a bit more this time). My flat mate will be flying home from LOS with Airasia on the 26/06 and then my sister and partner on the 29/06 from Saigon with Phillipine Airways.
    Has anyone had any experience sending their suitcase home to Australia before? Or is there somewhere secure in Saigon I could store it as that will be my base?
    Food fishing and furballs

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน chelski's Avatar
    If you and your flatmate are both are flying home with Air Asia from the LCCT terminal in KL, you could check on the way out at the left luggage office and see if it can be left there for that length of time. best to check how you go about retrieving it if you mate has the ticket when you leave it.
    Check at HMC Airport and see if they have a similar facility.

Quote Originally Posted by chelski View Post
    If you and your flatmate are both are flying home with Air Asia from the LCCT terminal in KL, you could check on the way out at the left luggage office and see if it can be left there for that length of time. best to check how you go about retrieving it if you mate has the ticket when you leave it.
    Check at HMC Airport and see if they have a similar facility.
    Hi Chelski my mate flys out from BKK to KL on the 26/06 then off home. I'm flying from BKK to Saigon and staying on for 2weeks then fly out from Saigon to Manilla and off home. I just checked Pack n Send and for 30kgs it works out $330! I'm thinking about sending via post? Has anyone done that?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    I used post from Prague one time,it took months to finally turn up.
    Maybe not the same from there.

Look at post # 2.... Any locker at Tan Son Nhat International Airport? - Ho Chi Minh City Forum - TripAdvisor
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน chelski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peteman View Post
    Hi Chelski my mate flys out from BKK to KL on the 26/06 then off home. I'm flying from BKK to Saigon and staying on for 2weeks then fly out from Saigon to Manilla and off home. I just checked Pack n Send and for 30kgs it works out $330! I'm thinking about sending via post? Has anyone done that?
    Only other thing is to check with Air Asia how much for your mate to take an extra case back with him. Check their website, I am sure there will be details there somewhere

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    I thought Jetstar was expensive charging me $100 for 15 kilos there and back.

My bag fits in the cabin but I'm checking it in so I can take a couple of jars of vegemite over for someone lol
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Quote Originally Posted by chelski View Post
    Only other thing is to check with Air Asia how much for your mate to take an extra case back with him. Check their website, I am sure there will be details there somewhere
    Costs can mount, passed the checkin counter one day, someone was being charged $70 just for a guitar.

I'm trying to find somewhere to store it in Saigon for a couple of weeks. Maybe even lock it, then wrap it and leave it at a home stay? I stayed in a homestay for about $11/day which would work out at $154 for 2 weeks. Still cheaper and less hassle then dragging it around with me.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nubbins's Avatar
    Airports generally have a "left luggage" service. I used the one at Don Muang to leave some scuba gear once.

I seem to remember that the "left luggage" service area at KL LCCT is in the domestic part of the terminal.

Yeah, I used to leave my luggage at Changi all the time when I used to transit thru there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bawdy View Post
    Yeah, I used to leave my luggage at Changi all the time when I used to transit thru there.
    Unattended?

I've done a search on Saigon airport but it doesn't seem to list anything. Seen a photo which says max 24 hrs charged at $4usd per hour. Surely there is an easy way to do it???

I've done a search on Saigon airport but it doesn't seem to list anything. Seen a photo which says max 24 hrs charged at $4usd per hour. Surely there is an easy way to do it???
    Not sure if this idea holds any water, but do you normally frequent a hotel where the staff know you? I'm sure it wouldn't be too much of a hassle for them to keep your luggage safe for a few days. Especially if you offered a storage fee.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    ask at your hotel in Saigon....often they will store a bag for you whilst you travel...maybe even do it for free..I have had that offered many a time when staying for a few days then returning for one or two nights...most hotels have a storage room

You must've have read this link? Any locker at Tan Son Nhat International Airport? - Ho Chi Minh City Forum - TripAdvisor

2. Re: Any locker at Tan Son Nhat International Airport?
    18 September 2010, 20:35
    turn to the right as you exit the international terminal and head to the end of the building. You will fing a staffed luggage storage area. You can leave your baggage there for as long as you need.

Owee

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    Unattended?
    WTF! No, I slept beside it!

Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    ask at your hotel in Saigon....often they will store a bag for you whilst you travel...maybe even do it for free..I have had that offered many a time when staying for a few days then returning for one or two nights...most hotels have a storage room
    A good option as well, I regularly used to do this when I was backpacking thru the Middle East.

I think you are worrying too much, there are plenty of options.

Cheers for the suggestions, moo uaon I've checked out that link but reading further it seems pretty vague. I've sent an email off to The New World Saigon where I'll be staying for the 1st 3 nights when I arrive then again the night before I leave. I'm hoping they'll store it for me there, I'm staying on the executive floor like always when I go there so hopefully it should be fine.

Vague?...what more you need to know? there's one at the airport,directions on where to find it and they'll keep it as long as you like.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Cheers for the suggestions, moo uaon I've checked out that link but reading further it seems pretty vague. I've sent an email off to The New World Saigon where I'll be staying for the 1st 3 nights when I arrive then again the night before I leave. I'm hoping they'll store it for me there, I'm staying on the executive floor like always when I go there so hopefully it should be fine.
    There you go - answered your own question ...

When I have left luggage at an hotel, they asked me to pay the return night up front in advance, not an unreasonable request.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast