• 1 Post By Quarky
  • 1 Post By Bacon
  • 2 Post By Norabunga
  • 1 Post By Norabunga
  • 1 Post By wabbits

Thread: Aust. Air fares up to 70% off

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar

Aust. Air fares up to 70% off

Budget airline battle sees flights cut by up to 70 per cent, as Scoot and AirAsia fight to fill seats

Mercedes Maguire
    Escape
    June 08, 2014 12:00AM

IT’S never been cheaper for Aussies to fly to Asia with an airfare war between low-cost carriers bringing prices down by up to 70 per cent.

Travellers can fly to Singapore return for under $300 from Sydney and to Kuala Lumpur from under $350.

Airlines claim flat numbers among outbound Aussies following the Federal Budget has left plenty of empty seats on planes that need filling.

“Our sale represents savings of up to 70 per cent, or even higher compared to full service carriers,” said Darren Wright, general manager of Singapore Airlines’ low-cost brand, Scoot.

“The low cost game is about getting seats filled.

“Passengers pay for baggage, meals and entertainment on board - it’s better to have a whole plane doing that than half. Consumer confidence is down after the budget and the outbound market is weak, there are lots of seats to fill.”

You can fly to Singapore return from Sydney for $299, including taxes, with Scoot.

AirAsia has responded with its own “Megasale” putting 2.5 million seats on sale with fares slashed by up to 50 per cent off its normal prices until June 15.

The sale includes one-way flights to Kuala Lumpur from Sydney from $169 and to Jakarta, Bangkok, Phuket and Singapore from $209.

Jetstar International pioneered long haul low fare travel into Asia when it launched in 2006 and has discounted fares on sale until Tuesday, with flights to Bali from Sydney from $249 one-way or to Phuket from $289.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Scoot are good if you only want to go to Singapore... The flight from Sydney, the connections onto places like HKT are not great.

Air Asia are OK... but only just.... The night flight from Sydney is OK, provided you get on the first one out to HKT that gets there between 7 and 8 am... Other wise, I think the next connection is something like 11am The day flight is GOOD.

I reckon, other than the only direct flight to HKT, SIA are by FAR the best way to get there.... Leave SYD at about 6:45am and lob into HKT about 5pm. That is a pretty good flight. The layover in Singapore is VERY bearable at Changi.

Speaking of Air Asia, anyone been thru the new KLIA 2? Would be interested to know how it compares to the dump, that was, the budget carrier terminal at KUL..
    Last edited by dave01; 8th June 2014 at 17:44.
    Life is short..... and love is always over in the morning.

I just paid $2000 to go to LOS... so stop posting these silly fares... 555

OK... it goes to NZ too...
    wabbits likes this.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Quote Originally Posted by dave01 View Post
    Speaking of Air Asia, anyone been thru the new KLIA 2? Would be interested to know how it compares to the dump, that was, the budget carrier terminal at KUL..
    I will be flying thru there on the way home in late June, the website looks pretty impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Bawdy View Post
    I will be flying thru there on the way home in late June, the website looks pretty impressive.
    I am heading up in July to HKT.... But decided to take the direct flight.... I haven't heard anything about KLIA 2... I agree the website is nice.... I hope the reality is the same

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post

Dollars or pounds? Be honest now! 555
    Quarky likes this.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Foundation Member Uber Star Norabunga's Avatar
    Went through klia2 about 2 weeks ago. 1000% improvement on the old dump.
    Very big, spacious and airy. Lots of choice for places to eat. Shopping mall attached to the terminal. New Tune hotel is much closer than the old one was. (100 metres vs 400-500 metres) Train connection to the city.

Of course, nothing Like SIN or HKG but certainly far from the worst airport terminal I've been to.
    Still a very long walk from planes but within an aircon terminal rather than out on the tarmac like before.

2 complaints. Staff in the eating joints seemed to be all new trainees and service was lacking. Also the Plaza Premium lounge isn't open yet so I had to pay for food and drink :-((
    Last edited by Norabunga; 8th June 2014 at 18:12.
    G4orce and dave01 like this.

I just bought a return flight next March. Chiang Mai - Kuala Lumpur then Kuala Lumpur to Adelaide in Premium class (great flat bed seats). Return trip is in economy. Au$500 all up
    Quarky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dave01 View Post
    I am heading up in July to HKT.... But decided to take the direct flight.... I haven't heard anything about KLIA 2... I agree the website is nice.... I hope the reality is the same
    I used the new terminal as a way as a way to chat up a hot AirAsia hostie after work, she said it was very good.

I'm also flying to Phuket direct from Melbourne.

Quote Originally Posted by Norabunga View Post
    Went through klia2 about 2 weeks ago. 1000% improvement on the old dump.
    Very big, spacious and airy. Lots of choice for places to eat. Shopping mall attached to the terminal. New Tune hotel is much closer than the old one was. (100 metres vs 400-500 metres) Train connection to the city.

Of course, nothing Like SIN or HKG but certainly far from the worst airport terminal I've been to.
    Still a very long walk from planes but within an aircon terminal rather than out on the tarmac like before.

2 complaints. Staff in the eating joints seemed to be all new trainees and service was lacking. Also the Plaza Premium lounge isn't open yet so I had to pay for food and drink :-((
    The website shows a hotel in the terminal itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Bawdy View Post
    The website shows a hotel in the terminal itself.
    Maybe airside? Someone told me there's a lounge airside. I looked but I didn't see it. Ahh! Just looked at the website. Sama Sama was the name I was told about. Must be a combined hotel/ lounge. The Plaza Premium lounge is/ will be landside. The Tune Hotel is just across the road from the front doors of the terminal/ shopping mall building. Has a covered walkway. I went looking for it because my son wants to use it when he visits.
    Just saw on the website that there's a CIP lounge. I reckon my Priority Pass card should get me in there too but I didn't see it. The place is still a work in progress.
    In summary, I was very pleasantly surprised.

Just how low can they go...

Saw this billboard ad at for syd - Malaysia on the weekend $169

Saw an ad for air asia syd-thailand for $209.(phuket?)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Images Attached Images
    X|0|0
    0|X|0
    0|0|X...relaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaax

Just had a look on farecompare.com and the cheapest I could find for sys-bkk for june was $403 with scoot .mmmmm

X|0|0
    0|X|0

Quote Originally Posted by BangkokSteve View Post
    Just how low can they go...

Saw this billboard ad at for syd - Malaysia on the weekend $169

Saw an ad for air asia syd-thailand for $209.(phuket?)

uploadfromtaptalk1402395953485.jpg

X|0|0
    0|X|0

Quote Originally Posted by BangkokSteve View Post
    Just had a look on farecompare.com and the cheapest I could find for sys-bkk for june was $403 with scoot .mmmmm

Those real cheapies are for Jan - July next year.

Gotta plan way ahead with these LCCs. Grab em when you can

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar

300 each to fly up to BKK from Perth there prob cheaper to....55555
    Quarky likes this.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar

I am trying to take advantage of these fares myself. Looking at Jetstar Melb to BKK but have to work out a few things before the sales end. We want to take the baby to meet the in laws... may be planning a little early but liek said above you have to with these LCC's. I would like to see the new KLIA2 (anything would be an improvement on KLIA..) but Jetstar are offering a better deal with direct flights. Shame as I am a fan of the AA hosties^B^

Surprise Surprise.... Thai Are having a sale by the looks X Syd... For my dates next trip, ( Nov - Jan) they are 300 under QANTAS/EMIRATES, and about 100 above Air Asia. Worth a look

MAS are still on sale.... but I prefer direct...