• 1 Post By RakThai
  • 1 Post By TLandHim
  • 6 Post By RakThai
  • 2 Post By Moo Uaon
  • 1 Post By G4orce

Thread: Travelling with an Infant

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar

Travelling with an Infant

As most of you know now, my wife and I are expected a baby at the end of the year. We have began talks on when we will be bringing the baby to Thailand to meet the in laws. Mrs G is thinking Feb/March next year so that the baby has had time for his/her immune system to get used to life out of the womb.

The question I want to know is that is there any way to book flights for the baby when you don't know the baby's details and it doesn't have a passport yet? Also what would be a better option a direct flight or a flight that involves a stop-over to break up the time?

Any other tips for travelling with a newborn baby would be helpful.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    Hey G welcome back mate... and big congrats on the upcoming additional to the family, really happy to hear all is well.

Booking flights with no name ? well you dont need a passport to book a seat online, but you need need passenger details...

As for 3 months old, i think 6 months may be wiser... we did take my eldest on a flight to the UK at 6 months .... it was hell... 5555 but that was 24 hours not 10
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

The flight itself I know will not but much fun... but that is something we have to do none-the-less...

I know a baby can fly within a week of birth for most carriers but it is suggested to wait longer. I read somewhere that 2 months was a good time for the baby to fly but that was not on an official site, but just a baby forum.

Also Mrs G is very worried about taking the baby during extreme heat, I suggested Song Kran but that is the hottest time of the year so she was not for that.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    Flight may well be ok if you choose a night flight to keep the baby in cycle ... the constant humm inside the plane and he/she may sleep the entire journey....

But Mrs G is spot on about the heat... that would be a important factor in the timing
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Hi G,
    I haven't taken them on long haul flights, so not sure what to advise, re all in one trip or break it up.

The thing that hurts them is they can't equalize the pressure in their ears, the pressure is worse at take off and descent, so my thought is the less of them the better.

The old advise was a bit of baby panadol and 2 drops of brandy in milk formula 1/2 hr before boarding.
    I'm guessing the Doc's on here can give the right advise.

Good luck, glad it's going to be you and not me 5555555
    G4orce likes this.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G4orce View Post
    As most of you know now, my wife and I are expected a baby at the end of the year. We have began talks on when we will be bringing the baby to Thailand to meet the in laws. Mrs G is thinking Feb/March next year so that the baby has had time for his/her immune system to get used to life out of the womb.

The question I want to know is that is there any way to book flights for the baby when you don't know the baby's details and it doesn't have a passport yet? Also what would be a better option a direct flight or a flight that involves a stop-over to break up the time?

Any other tips for travelling with a newborn baby would be helpful.
    Difficult questions to answer before the baby is born.. I traveled with my children at a very young age, and it went very easy..

As for immunity. A baby has very little immunity from him/herself.. Immunity from the mother is transferred before birth upto an extend, and afterbirth partially by breastfeeding.
    First vaccinations at 1 month (here, might be different in Aus) will only give immunity months later..

Hygiene and infection pressure are issues when travelling to Thailand. Cold season is better for a baby, and taking care (no person with a cold handling your baby for example).
    Consultation with a tropical doctor or pediatrician and taking some prescribed emergency medication (dose to match the weight of junior) would be the way to go..

The flight itself should not be too much of a problem. I would prefer a direct flight, since you will carry a lot of on-board luggage..
    If your wife is comfortable with it, breast-feeding during take of and landing will help the baby clear pressure and not hurt.

As for flights I don't know.. I would not book early, since you have no idea now how the delivery and health of the baby at birth will be..
    Best not to get ahead of yourself with things like this..

Another tip: get a baby carry bag thing.. A walker is nice where there is pavement and such, but not on a plain, taxi, beach, baan..
    Downside is, the baby will love the rocking against your chest and after a month or so will "demand" it, in ways only babies can get away with..555
    G4orce likes this.

Platinum
    Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    .. I traveled with my children at a very young age, and it went very easy..

Ahhh! Did the other passengers think it was easy though? 5555

The sooner they have childfree airlines and restaurants the better.
    Well worth a premium price
    Quarky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TLandHim View Post
    Ahhh! Did the other passengers think it was easy though? 5555

The sooner they have childfree airlines and restaurants the better.
    Well worth a premium price
    If you had been on a flight with my kids, you would not have noticed they were there..
    One of the things I have thought my kids from early age, is that it is wrong to cause problems for other people..
    And I do give them plenty of space in area's where they can do their own thing... Airplanes just not one of them...

It just takes a bit of planning... With a baby, it's relative easy... babies like to be comfortable, eat and sleep.. And as a special treat.. rock them a bit walking through the plane..

When I first took my kids to Thailand (12 hours plane, kids 7,8 and 16), I did select a flight so they could sleep..
    Did not drive to the airport, wait and board.. But took them for the day out near the airport, rented a hotel room for shower and change and boarded evening time..
    On the plane, after take off and dinner, I had some presents for them with which they could amuse themselves until they were tired enough to sleep..
    They were really well! Same as the boat/bus ride from Samui to Huahin...
    There are no bad kids (at a young age anyways), but there are plenty of parents who don't care about there children being a plague to other people..

If you had been on a flight with my kids, you would not have noticed they were there..
    One of the things I have thought my kids from early age, is that it is wrong to cause problems for other people..
    And I do give them plenty of space in area's where they can do their own thing... Airplanes just not one of them...

It just takes a bit of planning... With a baby, it's relative easy... babies like to be comfortable, eat and sleep.. And as a special treat.. rock them a bit walking through the plane..

When I first took my kids to Thailand (12 hours plane, kids 7,8 and 16), I did select a flight so they could sleep..
    Did not drive to the airport, wait and board.. But took them for the day out near the airport, rented a hotel room for shower and change and boarded evening time..
    On the plane, after take off and dinner, I had some presents for them with which they could amuse themselves until they were tired enough to sleep..
    They were really well! Same as the boat/bus ride from Samui to Huahin...
    There are no bad kids (at a young age anyways), but there are plenty of parents who don't care about there children being a plague to other people..
    How do you legislate for the crying baby all flight though? I deliberately book seats as far away as possible from the front row baby seats purely so I can avoid the noise... but often you don't have that choice...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    How do you legislate for the crying baby all flight though? I deliberately book seats as far away as possible from the front row baby seats purely so I can avoid the noise... but often you don't have that choice...
    As said.. Many parents don't care..
    I am amazed every time I pick my kids up from school about what parents tolerate from their kids.. Or even do themselves...

The other side is tolerance.. I don't get hyped up, just put my headphones on my ears and a blanket over my head.. Problem solved..555

Platinum
    As said.. Many parents don't care..
    I am amazed every time I pick my kids up from school about what parents tolerate from their kids.. Or even do themselves...
    You are dead right.
    So many parents think they are entitled to inflict their children's appalling behaviour on all around them.
    You are to be congratulated Rak for making your trips and the other passengers trips pleasant.

A teaspoon of brandy or whisky in the milk used to work, sent them off to sleep nicely.
    Probably gaol time for doing that now in today's PC world

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Similar to a barking dog,the owners never seem to hear them.
    Quarky and TLandHim like this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

I have to admit, one of the things i hate about flying are noisy kids, who run up and down the aisles, kick your seat and so on... but from what I have seen and others on hear have said it is the parents at fault. They allow the children to run aroudn and do those things. Teach them early and keep re-inforcing it so that they learn, dont just sit back and think "it'll be right.."

FYI, I called Jetstar today and they were usless. Talked to someone from the other side of the world and she could not understand me... In the end I gave up and called again only to get the same person...
    Quarky likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar

FYI, I called Jetstar today and they were usless. Talked to someone from the other side of the world and she could not understand me... In the end I gave up and called again only to get the same person...

"of all the call centers and call center operator's in the world...I call and get you twice!!!"

Did you think to mention your now married?? She sounds like a stalker 55555
    Last edited by justcruzing1; 10th June 2014 at 21:28.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    I have to admit, one of the things i hate about flying are noisy kids, who run up and down the aisles, kick your seat and so on... but from what I have seen and others on hear have said it is the parents at fault. They allow the children to run aroudn and do those things. Teach them early and keep re-inforcing it so that they learn, dont just sit back and think "it'll be right.."

As JC said the big thing is when the pressure equalisation happens on takeoff and landing with really young ones. The big things. Up to two years old they can sit on mums lap no extra charge. Up to 11 they get a childs fair after that full adult. Just me but I would pay for a full service direct flight with young children.

After 2 years old you can drug them with an antihistamine such as Promethazine (Phenergan). Not different to me I will take 20 Mg of diazepam and a few beers. Then after the first meal is served I am out and sleep until i get there.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore"