Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: Tragic accident caught on dash cam - WARNING, graphic content!

Tragic accident caught on dash cam - WARNING, graphic content!

I felt quite unprotected on our recent 3,000 km road trip as my dash cam had failed. If ever there was a good reason to have [or replace] one, this is it - the cam-car [only survivor] was initially suspected of causing the accident until he showed Police this video >

Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Foundation Member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Gazmac's Avatar
    Ouch ! That is deff a good reason to have one ! Have been thinking of getting one for here at home! Perth drivers ! Need i say more ? 555
    !qq!

Cadet silver
    Perth born drivers are atrocious. I'm a blow in from Sydney,been here 25 years. Give me Sydney drivers anytime.
    Last edited by Oldmanemu; 5th July 2014 at 18:19. Reason: Typo

I can't believe that is a dual carriageway with no medium barrier? Never seen that in the UK. Asking for accidents with that set up...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

There's too many undivided multiple carriageways in Thailand, especially Isaan where land is flat and easy to separate lanes.

I saw one new section near Chumpae getting what appeared to be an armco barrier erected which may be to stop inebriated locals driving into the massive concrete ditches between main highway and frontage roads.

Traffic engineers and/or lane marking crew really stuffed up on the #23 just north of Neung Kai heading north from Ubon. With an undivided 6 lanes (2 on one side and 4 on the other) you'll still get some idiot(s) hogging the fast lanes. Despite 1 or 3 empty slow lanes, overtakers cross the double yellow line!

Another section has 3 lanes marked wrongly with 'straight ahead' arrows and suddenly becomes divided by a median strip with the outside lane becoming a hard right turn ... skid and tyre marks indicate many a poor driver has wiped out his undercarriage there!

Despite these design faults, Isaan roads are otherwise very good. One must drive with complete awareness and anticipation at all times though.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    On EVERY long distance ride I've taken by motorbike in Thailand I have been run off the road by people passing on blind corners and coming at me in my lane. I've just come to expect it and stay as close to the shoulder as I can. I also won't drive the speed I am capable of if I can't see around the corner.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    I fail to see how the camera owner could have been blamed for anything...

Did you take the broken camera back to the shop Rob?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Cheap sh1t cameras wouldn't be covered for one week let alone a couple of years.

They are good insurance though and couple of thousand baht for a new one every few years is still worth it IMO.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    Cheap sh1t cameras wouldn't be covered for one week let alone a couple of years.

They are good insurance though and couple of thousand baht for a new one every few years is still worth it IMO.
    Old one now @ 500 bt from Computer Plaza is a cheap 'disposable' but will look at newer model if not too exxy. Heat when parked must cause deterioration not to mention falling off screen suction ... crash bang! 55
    Cheers, Rob.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Yeah,the extreme heat makes the air in the suction cup expand and then lose contact and fall down...annoying.

Might look at ebay for one with something different for mounting.
    Bracket for my GPS doesn't seem to fall although it's not always in use like the camera.

IN CAR Video Camera Vehicle DVR Road Crash CAM HD Recorder Night Vision | eBay
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Can you get a rear vision mirror mounted one?
    Those suction cup ones are Shiite.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    Yeah,the extreme heat makes the air in the suction cup expand and then lose contact and fall down...annoying.

Might look at ebay for one with something different for mounting.
    Bracket for my GPS doesn't seem to fall although it's not always in use like the camera.

IN CAR Video Camera Vehicle DVR Road Crash CAM HD Recorder Night Vision | eBay
    My GPS bracket has never fallen off but I put this down to being mounted on glass, direct, no tinting film as with camera which is way lighter anyway. I'll support next camera off RV mirror or mount lower.
    Cheers, Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    Can you get a rear vision mirror mounted one?
    Those suction cup ones are Shiite.
    Can be adapted Nick. Some actually replace OEM RV mirror completely and have built-in GPS.
    Cheers, Rob.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    My mate has one of those.
    Probably the one I will get too. My GPS just died off for absolutely no reason too.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?