Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By slampay

Thread: MA chasing the Aust & NZ market

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar

MA chasing the Aust & NZ market

From todays paper. I wonder how the public will react. Safety concerns??

MALAYSIA Airlines wants to carve out a bigger share of the Australian international passenger market as it rebuilds after a turbulent and tragic 2014.

THE disappearance of MH370 in March and the shooting down of MH17 in July hurt the national carrier, which was already struggling.
    The airline is about to undertake a major shakeup, with the state fund Khazanah Nasional buying out minority shareholders ahead of the company being delisted from the Malaysian stock exchange.

Under the 12-point plan to return the airline to profit, a third of the work force will be cut.

Malaysia Airline's Australian boss P K Lee believes the Australia-New Zealand region will play a key role in helping it turn around its fortunes.

"I would envisage that Malaysia Airlines should be the third largest international carrier out of Australia - now we are number four," Mr Lee told AAP.

Mr Lee said Malaysia Airlines could overtake Cathay Pacific and Singapore Airlines to move up the ladder behind Qantas and Emirates in the international market.

The airline has been working on winning over the local market by building its capacity, connectivity, One World alliance, and flight experience.

In the past year, Malaysia Airlines has added 9,000 seats weekly, flying into and out of all capitals except Hobart and Canberra. It also is keen to build its share of the Australia-Europe route.

Mr Lee said recent innovations for improved on-board catering should resonate with passengers.

These include enlisting celebrity cook and MasterChef runner-up Poh Ling Yeow as an ambassador. Poh has designed a signature dish for the airline which will be available on flights out of Australia from December 1 and out of New Zealand from January 1.

Other changes include MH Gourmet, which allows economy class passengers to advance order a premium meal for a small cost, and a Chef on Call service in business and first class.

"So it's more than just hardware, it's also about innovation, it's about how we can improve the guest experience on our flights."

Mr Lee said the success of the year-old Kuala Lumpur to Darwin route would continue to be a boon for the airline.

"We believe we are actually owning it. Indeed, for the last year we have been the top-selling international airline flying out of Darwin."

* The writer travelled to Kuala Lumpur as a guest of Malaysia Airlines.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน slampay's Avatar
    They need to replace their divots first..IMO.
    jontymate likes this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Good airline.. Been bl00dy unlucky tho... Used them quite a few times.... The only thing I would be critical of, is the terrible (religious) censorship of movies in their library... If you are into movies, take your own tablet and movies.... But other than that, they are very very good....
    Life is short..... and love is always over in the morning.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    We are about to lose Thai Air as a carrier from SA to the East. So aside from Singapore Airlines who are expensive we just have Emirates, Qatar and a few others we are short on options.
    I have flown MAS before and like dave01 quite liked them. if they returned to their old SA route I would consider them in the future as they are a more direct route.

Qantas is a diminishing competitor and Emirates the one to emulate ... currently just a few $'s separate MAS from the aforementioned on most downunder routes.

Thai airways may [hopefully] improve the competition following a very successful one-way deal. My recent BKK > SYD flight was the same price as a special $600 AirAsia return from OOL to CNX, all up. Not bad for a 10 day lead on bookings!

Nok/Scoot and Singapore Airlines are replacing some Jetstar services [to NZ] as a price war heats up, again ... AirAsia with other connections [eg Virgin] are hard to beat.

In summary, MAS need a paradigm shift to set them back on the recovery road and Au/Nz wouldn't be my target audience for a while yet.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    I have been with them many times to china and the Philippines and if not for the two planes destroyed would happily go again.

Two weeks ago i was looking at flights to get home from LOS. Malaysian air was about 7000tb very cheap, i paid 13,000tb with another air line.

Sorry I got a better chance of going with a ladyboy than going with Malaysian air.

Flown with them many times, and would continue to do so; one advantage they have for us is flying out of Suvarnabhumi v Air Asia at Don Mueang, getting to/from DM/Chanthaburi have to allow an extra couple of hours which limits flight options for same-day travel

I flew out of KL to Bkk the morning the MA flight went missing, had a nervy guy next to me, esp after a 1hr 15 delay after we'd boarded then when we were diverted north of Bkk for 20 minutes, just coincidence. The bus trip to the airport has higher risks
    Last edited by Hatari; 11th November 2014 at 03:55.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    When I was looking at my flights they were the cheapest on a few legs ... but couldn't get out of my head how unlucky they have been ...I know the odds of a third incident are remote , but that's what everyone would have said after the first one ...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Many flights out of Mel far from full, Singapore will go 5 x daily soon and Thai AirAsia X will soon start with direct flights from LOS, can't see them competing.

Platinum
    Malaysia Airlines will have a hard time to claw back passenger numbers

Travelled twice a year for the last 6 or so years with them and had our November to January trip booked when MH17 was shot down.

We cancelled (got our money back) and rebooked with Singapore Airines. The obvious lying by senior and government officials about MH370 and the stupidity of any airline flying passengers over the disputed Ukraine territory was a major reason for cancelling.

The main reason though was the risk that the airline would go bust and not be flying this coming January.

They were fine to fly with but I think they are dreaming if they are going to attract customers with deluxe meals. This is not the 1950's with flying boats. Flying now is just a bus trip that takes a few hours, making check in easy and charging reasonable for excess baggage are of far more interest to me than "fine dining" sitting in an aircraft. Pretentious crap for people who don't travel often or for people flying with someone else paying the fare.

Cadet Gold
    Read they are going private very soon. 1st round of meeting with shareholders last week went well.

I have flown with them a couple of times to Thailand, but they were expensive then. Also on business class, they are not worth the money, rather Singapore Airlines or Cathay Pacific.

Not sure i will fly them in the future.

Problem with MAS is the boardroom & management [people overload] and culture which will be difficult to change. Pilot training and maintenance is ok but the cream staff members are being recruited out due to internal turmoil and uncertain future.

Kiwi's and Aussies have a long memory for loss of relatives or friends when due to negligence or poor communicated handling of events. Will take more than a name change to win us over.

One should be wary of airlines which fly at a loss or those with internal strife and aging fleets. [Broad hint]. Eg: Jetstar is getting all the new aircraft whilst its parent is run into the ground ... metaphorically speaking.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!