Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kaptainrob

Thread: KLIA2 airport shops and food outlets

KLIA2 airport shops and food outlets

For many travelers, AirAsia's new hub is a transfer point between flights and need not pass thru immigration at all.

The airside facilities are quite adequate for most requirements.

There's even a short time hotel, or Sama Sama Express as its called, where you can lay your head down for an hour or more .... They charge by the hour.

We have eaten twice at Popeye's, a KFC-style outlet between Maccas and Sama Sama, credit card accepted so no need for FX. Sama Sama have a nice lounge and do meals from around $7. Might try them next time.

The actual boarding gates can be a fair walk and you must pass thru 2 more security inspections on the way thru to your plane. You practically have to undress at these checkpoints .... Well, belts off could mean your pants fall down.

For those lengthly connections .... Go thru IMMIGRATION ... Its fast and easy both ways, and there's a whole world of shopping and eating in the main terminal. It's massive. I even walked down to the ground floor to check out NZ Curries .... Yes they sell curries, but nothing to do with New Zealand. I think its pronounced US style "enzee". Back upstairs and there's a plethora of restaurant's and a food court.

WiFi is fast and free for 3 hours.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Big improvement on the old *shed* by the sounds of it.. Thanks for the info
    Life is short..... and love is always over in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by dave01 View Post
    Big improvement on the old *shed* by the sounds of it.. Thanks for the info
    A massive improvement although some parts were never finished off well and carpets already look old. The main terminal is well worth inspection if one has time.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    A massive improvement although some parts were never finished off well and carpets already look old. The main terminal is well worth inspection if one has time.
    You mention decent walks to gates..... Jeez, I remember one not long ago that seemed like 10 k's at DMK... but I did have a rare gout attack at the time 555
    Life is short..... and love is always over in the morning.

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    That's handy flying back through there in a month or so.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    I wonder if that is the US Popeye's
    It blows KFC away if so

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    I wonder if that is the US Popeye's
    It blows KFC away if so
    Could be .. Pretty slick, clean and tasty. I think the full name is Louisiana Popeye's
    Cheers, Rob.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Could be .. Pretty slick, clean and tasty. I think the full name is Louisiana Popeye's
    Yes that is the one

It used to be just Popeye's then they renamed it.
    Funny that although popular in the US they dont have tons of stores so to have one in Singapore is surprising

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Yes that is the one

It used to be just Popeye's then they renamed it.
    Funny that although popular in the US they dont have tons of stores so to have one in Singapore is surprising
    Kuala Lumpur actually, but hey, you were close for someone from Texas. :'(
    wabbits likes this.
    Cheers, Rob.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Massive improvement???

Trekked thru it once already (did not go out thru customs into the main terminal), in July last year and was not impressed .... for amenities, layout and general vibe give me Changi any day ... I thought KLIA2 was badly laid out, dirty and chaotic.

Frankly I liked the old shed better, at least it felt friendly and had some cheap places to eat etc ... I will be interested to hear what others have to say once they have had the KLIA2 "experience".

I certainly agree about the carpet ... how could it look so bad so fast??

Enjoy...

HKT_2014 0261.jpgHKT_2014 0271.jpgHKT_2014 0251.jpgHKT_2014 0221.jpg
    Life is the unexpected ...

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน chelski's Avatar
    Just out of interest, if I fly into KLIA2 from Perth, how far is it and/or how long does it take to get to the normal international airport to connect with a flight.

Perth flights with AA arrive KLIA2 at 12.45pm and there is a MAS flight to Phuket that I imagine will start from the International Airport at 15.30pm.

Most times I have had to make connections the Malaysian Customs have been really quick.

If anyone has done this before, I would be interested to know how long it took

Cadet
    One of the best things about the new KLIA2 is the KLIA Express rail connection to KL Central. More expensive but certainly preferable to the sh1tty old buses that went to and from the old budget terminal.

Chelski, If you have cleared customs and immigration the connection between KLIA2 and the main terminal takes about 2 minutes and is done using the KLIA Express (one stop), I think they run about every 15 minutes

The train connection is a big plus.

Just done two more transits at KLI2 and agree with Minder, in part, as most ppl never used the old tin shed transit facility. However, the new terminal does have good facilities upstairs in the airside/transit hub. I imagine some may miss this altogether whilst finding way from gate to gate as its a large complex. The Gloria Jeans cafe downstairs doesn't rate!
    Cheers, Rob.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Quote Originally Posted by chelski View Post
    Just out of interest, if I fly into KLIA2 from Perth, how far is it and/or how long does it take to get to the normal international airport to connect with a flight.

Perth flights with AA arrive KLIA2 at 12.45pm and there is a MAS flight to Phuket that I imagine will start from the International Airport at 15.30pm.

Most times I have had to make connections the Malaysian Customs have been really quick.

If anyone has done this before, I would be interested to know how long it took
    I will be doing this in 2 weeks, apparently there is a rail link between terminals, but need to clear customs, immigration etc. beforehand.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    I visited KLIA2 just after it opened last year, the transit lounge (forget name) has had a huge upgrade and showers are also available.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน chelski's Avatar
    Cheers everyone, I think just under 3hrs should be Ok,and good news about the train. It was a pain to have about 30min bus ride to the station and then the train trip into KL City from the old airport.
    Seems they have a good set up now and will be a lot easier.

I have used the train from the City to the International last time I went to the UK and was much better than taxis.