Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Air Asia to Pattaya

Cadet

Air Asia to Pattaya

Air Asia will soon be flying KL to Patts (U-Taipo). I hadn't seen any press on the launch, just noticed "Pattaya" on the drop down menu on the AA website.

I will be trying it out myself in July. Can anyone advise on how best to get from U-Taipo to Pattaya? It seems like a quiet airport, are taxis readily available?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Taxi from U-tapao to Pattaya from the arrivals hall costs 1,000 Baht and takes 40-60 mins depending on traffic .. if you prearrange a taxi ie MrT will cost 650 Baht

There are also minibuses which cost 150 baht iirc , no sure how long these would take ... depends on if you were the first or last hotel dropped off

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    As SE said, the flights are met with taxi's and mini buses.

The min buses are a lucky dip. I made the mistake of getting one that was almost empty, others got in but it wasn't full so it waited for another plane to arrive, 35mins later!! then the driver didn't know where some of the motels were, I was going to LK Metro (my first visit so had no idea where it was) we went past it 3 times. The English guy beside me eventually called out to the driver to stop and said to me here is where your going, get out now.

I would try and get one or two others to share a cab with you, quicker and more comfort. If not then jump on a mini bus that is already near full. I thought I was being smart hoping for a van with less people to drop off thus less time doing the tour etc BIG mistake
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Best to book a cab beforehand as SE said...I have come out after a flight twice and there has been no cabs available....they are not allowed to go and sit in there as its an airforce base airstrip....you can be lucky and get one who is dropping off though...I got one for 400 baht once that way

as JC says..minibus can take hours if your flight doesn't fill it up...there are very few commercial flights arriving at Utapao

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    The taxi situation will likely get better though if AA is landing there now. But still wouldn't risk it.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Surprised, looks like only 1 flight and not everyday. U-Tapoa has alot of potential, but still a ways to go.

Foundation Member Uber Star quiksilva's Avatar
    I will certainly look to fly Utapao to HKT next time.
    I stupidly went to DMK instead of the closer Swampy

Looks like a whole heap of trouble though, just to save a couple of hundred baht on taxi and an hours time. The difference to Swampy isn't big enough to make it worth the trouble.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    Looks like a whole heap of trouble though, just to save a couple of hundred baht on taxi and an hours time. The difference to Swampy isn't big enough to make it worth the trouble.
    Why is it trouble , taxi is cheaper and quicker , check in and immigration take minutes ..... No brainier IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    Why is it trouble , taxi is cheaper and quicker , check in and immigration take minutes ..... No brainier IMHO
    Never been through myself. Just going by the vibe.

But I guess two Chinese planes in front of yah in BKK and no express would give you more trouble than sitting in a mini bus for an hour.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    Never been through myself. Just going by the vibe.

But I guess two Chinese planes in front of yah in BKK and no express would give you more trouble than sitting in a mini bus for an hour.
    01:00 Tuesday morning, just gone at Swampy, was a bl00dy nightmare... There were Chinese Tour groups everywhere you looked in the arrivals areas, and immigration... Thank (insert your preferred deity here.......................) for BFS... Is all I can say!!
    Life is short..... and love is always over in the morning.

^ Took me 15 min to exit the airport last week, most of that walking from the gate, guess it really depends on arrival time.

U-Tapoa has alot of untapped potential, I believe they are already building new facilities there. There was talk of introducing flights to Siem Reap which would be great, but they haven't materialised yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bawdy View Post
    ^ Took me 15 min to exit the airport last week, most of that walking from the gate, guess it really depends on arrival time.
    Airport was empty at 8am.
    Normally going through Thai immigration saves time.
    Not this time.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    SE came through Swampy the other day at 8amish like QS, 1 person ahead of me in Immi Line, Bag in first ten onto carousel through Customs into arrivals hall inside 10 minutes
    Last edited by Arliss Michaels; 16th May 2015 at 21:14.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

Jetstar it sounds like?
    I was quite impressed with them.
    Bought the extra leg room - may have something to do with it haha.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by quiksilva View Post
    Jetstar it sounds like?
    I was quite impressed with them.
    Bought the extra leg room - may have something to do with it haha.
    I am the opposite not a fan of Jetstar but will use them if the "Ian Turpie" is best. I flew Scoot from Perth for the first time, it was fantastic, the stopover at Changi to get to BKK was not

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    I can quite often get to Pattaya cheaper than I can to BKK from here on Samui....for some reason BKK Airlines often have it for around 800-1K baht cheaper...I suspect its the old bums on seats routine,,so for me heading to Patts its a no brainer

I would recommend anyone heading HKT to Patts to check prices as well...add in taxi prices and then value your time (30 mins vs 2hrs)

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arliss Michaels View Post
    I am the opposite not a fan of Jetstar but will use them if the "Ian Turpie" is best. I flew Scoot from Perth for the first time, it was fantastic, the stopover at Changi to get to BKK was not
    It is Jetstar Asia out of Perth all the way to BKK now .... so a much improved cabin service ..

Previously it was Jetstar "Never Again" to Singapore and then Jetstar Asia for the short hop to BKK ....

I worked till nearly 7pm on Monday the other week here in Perth and was thru BKK immigration at Swampy and at the downstairs food court by 8:30am the following morning ....

Midnight flight from Perth, 5:30 arrival in Singapore, wind the clock back an hour and on the ground at Swampy a bit after 8am local time ... and the Jetstar gate was right next to the Duty Free near the exit .... no 2km trek and the fastest ever trip thru Immigration ... (Sometimes the Stars align, sometimes they don't :-)

Price was less than flying to Melbourne with Qantas, even with $30 payment for the extra leg room on the Perth-Singapore section.

I have heard good things about Scoot but their stop-overs can shave two days off your ground time ....

Enjoy...
    Life is the unexpected ...

Quote Originally Posted by Minder View Post
    It is Jetstar Asia out of Perth all the way to BKK now .... so a much improved cabin service ..

Previously it was Jetstar "Never Again" to Singapore and then Jetstar Asia for the short hop to BKK ....

I worked till nearly 7pm on Monday the other week here in Perth and was thru BKK immigration at Swampy and at the downstairs food court by 8:30am the following morning ....

Midnight flight from Perth, 5:30 arrival in Singapore, wind the clock back an hour and on the ground at Swampy a bit after 8am local time ... and the Jetstar gate was right next to the Duty Free near the exit .... no 2km trek and the fastest ever trip thru Immigration ... (Sometimes the Stars align, sometimes they don't :-)

Price was less than flying to Melbourne with Qantas, even with $30 payment for the extra leg room on the Perth-Singapore section.

I have heard good things about Scoot but their stop-overs can shave two days off your ground time ....

Enjoy...
    Thanks Minder that I did not know, direct flight sounds great, but how is pricing.

For my return flight next week I got cheaper Malaysian, than Air Asia, Jetstar, and the Scoot stopover time was just unworkable (far too long)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast