Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: New carry-on size limits coming

New carry-on size limits coming

Low cost carriers may be the first to enforce the new requirements >

Airlines want smaller carry-on bags to free up overhead bins - Business - NZ Herald News
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Good
    It has gotten absolutely ludicrous these days
    If you aren't the 1st 1/3rd of people on the plane you can barely find any room
    Soupdragon and chelski like this.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    If they actually stuck to the limits in place atm there wouldn't be a problem...its so hit and miss...some people are being fined excess for one or two extra kilos whilst others are bringing on the whole contents of their house

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    Yep bring it on. One of my pet hates as ive said before.

Had a recent flight with Fiji Air and they seem to be enforcing carry on bag limits. They had Verbal reminders playing over the intercom at Air Port and when you checked in bags your carry on bags had a sticker stuck on the handles saying "approved carry on".

Also recommend Fiji Air, not that they go to LOS but they were really good. Food Good, Leg Room in seats was excellent, I had at least 3 inches between my knees and seat in front, compared to Jetstar which had Minus 3 inches.

I'm not sure shaving an inch or so off will help. In most issues I've seen on low-cost carriers, it's because people have either a bag that is clearly longer than allowed and shouldn't even be there in the first place, or they have more than one bag due to things like duty free which they bought inside the departure terminal.

If they enforced bag dimensions I'm sure there'd be a lot more room for starters. Not sure you can realistically enforce duty free bags since it's after check-in, but I assume they must already make some allowances for this anyway.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedHoliday View Post
    I'm not sure shaving an inch or so off will help. In most issues I've seen on low-cost carriers, it's because people have either a bag that is clearly longer than allowed and shouldn't even be there in the first place, or they have more than one bag due to things like duty free which they bought inside the departure terminal.

If they enforced bag dimensions I'm sure there'd be a lot more room for starters. Not sure you can realistically enforce duty free bags since it's after check-in, but I assume they must already make some allowances for this anyway.
    Yeah pretty much like Baccy said, no need for new rules, just enforce the current ones. Not sure why this is so hard. Probably has a bit to do with the staff's personality as well. You need to be slightly confrontational to hold someone up and force them to check their bag in. I've watched shy staff at checkout counters who've glanced at someone's bag and just let them through when they obviously seemed uncomfortable with it. Other times it might have to do with long queues and busy counters. Not sure.. just my theories.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน obes's Avatar
    If people are easily able to get away with sh1t - like stooging a dweeble counter jockey, they will...............and do.

Quote Originally Posted by obes View Post
    If people are easily able to get away with sh1t - like stooging a dweeble counter jockey, they will...............and do.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Oldest problem on Earth. Still a massive issue in business/social systems engineering today. There are solutions around them though, and it almost always involves getting the whip out on your staff, turning them against each other, or messing with their rice ball if they do wrong. Those counter jockeys do look like a bunch of stooges though. I'd personally take pleasure in screwing people over with over-sized baggage. You can even turn in into a game with the person next to you and see who gets more of them at the end of the night(as a manager I'd give bonuses on that basis). But alas, most people's work is just a job for them. They're probably not taken care of properly by the company or given no reason to care. It all stems from up the creek.

We've discussed this before and as Baccy said, enforcement is already a problem if randomly applied. I think there may be some rationalisation or standardising of size/weight in the fine print which will make carry-on-stowable luggage easier to approve at check-in.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Surly the answer would be to take the enforcement away from check in counters and create queues for those who have heeded the criteria?
    I certainly would not want to be standing behind someone who is busy unpacking and re-packing their luggage in an effort to make it fit.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    I hate it as well and i think the solution would be for the airlines to have a person in the check in area that looks at the people with carry on and then goes and advises them it is not going to be allowed. So they can transfer some of it into check in or check in the whole lot and pay the extra.

I think the problem is when they get to the gate and get refused then they crack up as well as it delays the flight.

Best to nip it in the bud early and most people know they are going to be over, just hoping not to get caught, so they have no excuse's.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    i mean...it never has been to the point where i've never been able to find space for my bag or the place is crowded with other peoples stuff....in my experience.

stick to the rules and everyone's happy instead of making crazy new rules that affect those who do stick by the rules!!
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Foundation Member Uber Star quiksilva's Avatar
    Where am I going to put my fish and my backpacking bag?

Quote Originally Posted by quiksilva View Post
    Where am I going to put my fish
    Is it in a bowl or plastic bag filled with water? They complain about aquariums, so don't even go there!

Foundation Member Uber Star quiksilva's Avatar
    Dead in a bag

Quote Originally Posted by quiksilva View Post
    Dead in a bag
    That fits under your seat. No problem.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    In front of you ...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    I have told here before of a trip from Townsville to Sydney where we were all seated, waited for 10 mins, the staff were getting restless and talking to each other behind hands.

Eventually a blond female backpacker in a boob tube top and cut off jeans shorts entered, she was carting 2 of those big grey and white polyester, hession type bags. you get at the $2 shop.

One the zip had burst and as she bounced them off people's heads as she walked down the isle, her undi's, bra's were falling out, then came the ....big purple dildo...5555 Everyone broke up into laughter...she just picked it up, and went looking for room in the lockers that were full.

Then she turns to the attendant and screams....where the F.. is my space??
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    I think they are just "rounding down" the US non-metric sizes.

AirAsia is 56cm x 36cm x 23cm currently - I can't see thousands of luggage frames being discarded - just enforced - Hallelujah!

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน chelski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Good
    It has gotten absolutely ludicrous these days
    If you aren't the 1st 1/3rd of people on the plane you can barely find any room
    I am with your Marc, not worried about the size limit of the bag, but if the allowable weight is 10kgs then if it over, go back out the que and organise your luggage to the correct weight. Bring it back and it is still overweight, start again at the back of the que.
    Everyone would be fully aware of what the limits are before travel, so those who overstep, should be made to pay for it.

Bangkok Airways on my trip to Samui from HKT had I think a 5kg limit and smaller bags than normal. No messing about, over the limit sort it out before you get on the plane and saw no exceptions. Was like sort it if you want to travel, get it fixed or no getting on the plane.

If everyone followed their example, then perhaps things might be easier for everyone
    Tingtong likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast