Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Transiting at Airports?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar

Transiting at Airports?

Can any one explain to me how transiting works.
    Here's why i ask. Ive been researching flights to koh Samui from Sydney and the best and most efficient trip that has come up is Malaysia Air (yes I know Malaysia, probably crash).
    Its cheap to at $900 ish Aud ( I know thats because it will not make it 55) anyway it goes Syd to Kl stop over 3 hrs then change to Bangkok Air for next sector 1.5 hrs.
    This by far the most straight forward cheapest and quickest way to get there but ive never transited and not sure how that works.
    Do you have to go thru Customs and then re check in for second flight ?
    Thanks

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    i would think not Tingtong as you are not flying domestic to Samui......would only do customs in samui.....btw good luck with malaysia..not sure how you going to enjoy that flight 55555555

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tingtong View Post
    Can any one explain to me how transiting works.
    Here's why i ask. Ive been researching flights to koh Samui from Sydney and the best and most efficient trip that has come up is Malaysia Air (yes I know Malaysia, probably crash).
    Its cheap to at $900 ish Aud ( I know thats because it will not make it 55) anyway it goes Syd to Kl stop over 3 hrs then change to Bangkok Air for next sector 1.5 hrs.
    This by far the most straight forward cheapest and quickest way to get there but ive never transited and not sure how that works.
    Do you have to go thru Customs and then re check in for second flight ?
    Thanks
    Not been confident on this answer, but would think if you can book all through the Airline website it is highly likely they will re book you on without exiting Transit (eg, Scoot/Tiger Perth-Singapore-BKK do this for a fee, and transfer luggage). If booking on an external website such as eg Wego, not so sure they would work the same
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

Quote Originally Posted by meese View Post
    i would think not Tingtong as you are not flying domestic to Samui......would only do customs in samui.....btw good luck with malaysia..not sure how you going to enjoy that flight 55555555
    Ah, so transiting only happens if you land from an international flight and then your next flight is Domestic?

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    Flew home Malaysia , BKK-KL- Perth , not a problem in the world with a short hour stopover, and nearly as smooth a ride as Zabs 4 wheeler, and very cheap for full service airline
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Ah, so transiting only happens if you land from an international flight and then your next flight is Domestic?
    if your bags are booked through (which they will be),you take a different door and end up in the departure lounge. kinda like not entering malaysia at all.
    Last edited by Moo Uaon; 8th July 2015 at 17:17.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    No, you just get to ride on the sky train between terminals to pass time.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    ^ ???

how do they do it at the main terminal?
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    ^ ???

how do they do it at the main terminal?
    In the past when MA flew from Cape Town there was usually a short trip on the sky train involved between terminals. A bit like Changi

Quote Originally Posted by Arliss Michaels View Post
    Not been confident on this answer, but would think if you can book all through the Airline website it is highly likely they will re book you on without exiting Transit (eg, Scoot/Tiger Perth-Singapore-BKK do this for a fee, and transfer luggage). If booking on an external website such as eg Wego, not so sure they would work the same
    Yeah the Flights I am looking at were going to be booked as one booking thru Malaysia so maybe more straight forward

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    if your bags are booked through (which they will be),you take a different door and end up in the departure lounge. kinda like not entering malaysia at all.
    Ok thanks what I was thinking might happen. so then you only go thru customs at koh samui?
    Last edited by Tingtong; 8th July 2015 at 17:37.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    We do Malaysia Airlines out of Melbourne, your bags will be checked in straight to Samui, they will be expecting your bags at KL and will place them straight on the Samui flight.
    Tingtong likes this.

Foundation Member Uber Star Norabunga's Avatar
    Pete has the answer.
    The Malaysia Airlines flight will arrive at the satellite terminal. A short skytrain ride to the main terminal where you will board the flight to Samui.
    Pick up your luggage and go through immigration/ customs in Samui.
    Easy as.
    Tingtong likes this.

Moo and Bawdy are correct as I assume Bangkok Air use KLI1 terminal, so no transfer to LCCT.

For a lengthy stopover you can enter Malaysia and browse the entire terminal, if desired, then exit again.
    Tingtong likes this.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Thanks Guys, sounds not to hard .

Ok thanks what I was thinking might happen. so then you only go thru customs at koh samui?
    yes thats right...but you will be unlucky if you see them in samui..have never seen them when i have arrived via singapore

yes thats right...but you will be unlucky if you see them in samui..have never seen them when i have arrived via singapore
    What, the customs people Meese ?

yes immigration are there..but have never seen customs when i have arrived...domestic and international are all at the same spot

I flew via Singapore... collected my luggage at 3.00am.. went outside and walked to the smaller terminal to catch Tiger to Phuket... took my luggage with me... ducking and diving amongst the trees, snakes and lizards... about a 20 minute walk I think... may have been longer... train connecting the terminals isn't open at that time... and I didn't want to wait till morning.. 55
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    ^ I remember doing similar in my early trips, late night flight to Singapore, early Tiger flight to Phuket, but I waited for the bus at 5 am! 555

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast