Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Sydney
  • 1 Post By kaptainrob
  • 1 Post By PGC
  • 1 Post By Sydney

Thread: This looks like a good idea.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar

This looks like a good idea.

Airline seats with adjustable heights: Plan could spark mile-high fury | Gold Coast Bulletin

Is this airline seat design genius or a recipe for mile-high fury?

• KATE SCHNEIDER
    • news.com.au
    • August 11, 2015 4:24PM

The seat design — genius or a recipe for mile-high fury?

A NEW airline seat design aims to take some of the pain out of flying by offering adjustable leg room.

Detailed in a patent application by B/A Aerospace, the seats would accommodate the different heights of passengers by rolling backwards and forwards on the tracks that already exist on the aircraft’s floor.
    This would mean, in theory, that taller passengers who need more leg room could be given greater space at the expense of those passengers shorter than them.
    YOUR SAY: Is this a great idea? Tell us below.
    After passengers have checked in, and provided their height information, the flight crew would use an app that controls the movement of the seats’ gears and adjust the seats accordingly.

“Even a relatively small incremental increase in seat spacing for the tall passengers can provide additional comfort with no loss of comfort to the much smaller passengers seated in front of the tall passengers,” the designers said in their patent application.

The seats could be moved using an app.

“While passengers come in many sizes, children, adolescents, adults, men, women and with large height differentials within these categories, seat spacing in the main cabin of a passenger aircraft is generally uniform except at exit rows.
    “The one-size-fits-all seating arrangement can cause discomfort for tall passengers, while a child or relatively small adult may be seated in an identical seat at the seat pitch, with more than ample leg room and in relative comfort.”
    There are concerns, however, that shorter passengers won’t like having to sacrifice their leg room.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Seats aren't individual though are they? In my row of three I get some extra leg room but no extra width and end up with a six foot six broad shouldered rugby star either side of me?
    Life is the unexpected ...

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    I gonna tell em i am 6.5 foot tall on check in .... then when i sit down i will have to take off me 70's platform shoes ..555
    Bacon and Cuzzy like this.
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

A few things wrong with the reporter and the reported...

Not about seat height! It's called 'pitch', and current seat design does not permit individual seat pitch change. So the design model would require fairly expensive mods to seat undercarriage design and likely be restricted use in 1st or business class.
    pinecone likes this.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

The system is having the seats on tracks so they are then moved forward or back by the motors.

BA think enough of it to patent it so who knows??

One thought it does bring is why don't the cheap carriers have their seats set in varying leg widths and when you book you give your height and then you are allocated a seat accordingly.

Obviously there would be some times it wouldn't work, say if I was traveling with a TG to be seated together we would need to take up two of the longer leg seats but even if 30% of the people were given benefit from it it would be worthwhile

PGC
    Would remove a major reason for flying business class. Not something an Airline would choose to do. Perhaps on Euro flights where bus class seats are the same size as economy. It might offer some incentive.
    pinecone likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PGC View Post
    Would remove a major reason for flying business class. Not something an Airline would choose to do. Perhaps on Euro flights where bus class seats are the same size as economy. It might offer some incentive.
    Our Airlines in North America have Premium Economy which is just extra legroom.......usually around 30-50usd more

The funny thing is a lot of people don't pay it and the airline is forced to move people around for balance and put people in those seats

PGC
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Our Airlines in North America have Premium Economy which is just extra legroom.......usually around 30-50usd more

The funny thing is a lot of people don't pay it and the airline is forced to move people around for balance and put people in those seats
    Euro travel is normally a few hours at most, so not seen as being attractive. But Prem Economy is a growing part of the Airlines long haul business plan.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PGC View Post
    Euro travel is normally a few hours at most, so not seen as being attractive. But Prem Economy is a growing part of the Airlines long haul business plan.
    Yeah, that is a much different Prem Economy than just the extra leg room
    And actually pretty expensive

I'm thinking the likes of Scoot, AA, Tiger, Jetstar and Virgin Blue.

Flights from Aust. for starters, 9hrs flight then every couple of CM's would make a difference.

If they set the seats when fitting or on a refit it isn't any extra expense, only thing would be a change to the booking service computer and once that is set it isn't anymore ongoing expense.
    Last edited by justcruzing1; 12th August 2015 at 00:28.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    I think it could create chaos , bad enough with reclining seats in economy ..... I would rather pay more and sit in Premium or Business

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    I think some one is taking the p!ss...Airlines don't care about the passengers in cattle class. If they did they wouldn't let Obese people or Kids in the plane

Quote Originally Posted by Tingtong View Post
    I think some one is taking the p!ss...Airlines don't care about the passengers in cattle class. If they did they wouldn't let Obese people or Kids in the plane
    Apart from extra cost of adjustable pitch seating, there's the motor weight factor to consider.
    Could see it working for some super-budget airlines accepting extra pax bookings .... push of a button and all seats squeeze up to throw in extra rows... 555

The zodiac hexagonal seating plan was patented also but most unlikely to ever see commercial realisation.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    Im still waiting for the Planes they promised with standing "seats" 55555
    KR your right, the only way they will move seats is closer together like Jetstar..they are shockers.

I'd like it if you could adjust the seat height on the verticle axis for variable leg lengths. After 8 hours (naturally) I find the seat height annoying, and I wish I could adjust it like I do for an office chair.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    The designers are dreaming. No airline is going to pay to upgrade their seats just to cater to tall people. Especially when they can charge them for extra leg room instead. So why would any airline do it. And manufacturers probably rather avoid the extra costs and complications as well. Except maybe in business and first class, but then you don't need seats like that there to begin with.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    The other reason why its never going to work is all 3 tall people would have to sit it the same row ... and then 3 short behind .... what happens when a 160 Kg dude is sitting at the window seat and needs to take a piss but happens to be sitting next to a Oscar Pistorius who checked in without his blades on ?? ... 5555555555
    Quarky likes this.
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydney View Post
    The other reason why its never going to work is all 3 tall people would have to sit it the same row ... and then 3 short behind .... what happens when a 160 Kg dude is sitting at the window seat and needs to take a piss but happens to be sitting next to a Oscar Pistorius who checked in without his blades on ?? ... 5555555555
    Empty beer can? 55
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cuzzy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    I think it could create chaos , bad enough with reclining seats in economy ..... I would rather pay more and sit in Premium or Business
    Premium or Business is about $1k out of my comfort zone. 555
    Experts : People who know more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.

I reckon it's a good idea.
    If when fitting the plane they made 40% of the seats for tall people, a little bit more legroom and a little higher, it would cost nothing.

I know I would pay extra, $50-100 on a long haul flight.