Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By MarcTwoSix
  • 1 Post By chelski
  • 2 Post By Minder

Thread: BKK Airport to Silom

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน chelski's Avatar

BKK Airport to Silom

I do not normally stop over in BKK, but going at the weekend and we have 2 nights in Silom before heading off to Hua Hin for 12 days.

What would you normally expect to pay for a cab from Swampy to BKK City. My GF suggested the train to the city from the airport and then taxi. But from what I can see you have to change twice to get anywhere near to where we are staying in Silom.

If we take the taxi which is the best floor to go to to get a cab without having a long wait.
    I do not know Bangkok well at all, so cannot see the sense in messing with public transport when you do not know the areas at all

Any info would be much appreciated.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chelski View Post
    I do not normally stop over in BKK, but going at the weekend and we have 2 nights in Silom before heading off to Hua Hin for 12 days.

What would you normally expect to pay for a cab from Swampy to BKK City. My GF suggested the train to the city from the airport and then taxi. But from what I can see you have to change twice to get anywhere near to where we are staying in Silom.

If we take the taxi which is the best floor to go to to get a cab without having a long wait.
    I do not know Bangkok well at all, so cannot see the sense in messing with public transport when you do not know the areas at all

500baht at most.....I think less

And just go to the normal Taxi stand.....they have it automated and I haven't waited more than a couple of minutes the last few times I have done it
    Stillearly likes this.

Cheers marc26, taxi it will be, we arrive about 4.30 in the afternoon so should be a quick trip to the hotel and then out in town for the evening.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chelski View Post

Depending what time you get there cabs are usually plentiful.

When you get out of arrivals turn right there is a lift you go down 3 floors, and the cabs are outside, with a supervisor. They are metered.

I don't know current prices but several years ago I paid 400bt into Nanna. Other BM's can update.

Be ready for a hair raising ride, down the freeway, if at night can be 150,160kph and then sitting in the worst traffic jams you can ever imagine 555555

NB just a warning, sometimes when you come out of arrivals there are tout's there asking if you want a cab. They are not licensed, and using a car that is in the parking lot, I mistakenly took one once we were taken to the car then to another parking station where we were transferred to yet another car and a drive that didn't understand English.
    Last edited by justcruzing1; 26th August 2015 at 14:24.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Cheers JC, but you can be sure I will not pass on to my GF the tales of F1 taxi drivers or we will be on the bus 555555
    justcruzing1 likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    ^^^ I think that's a good call. 55555

In Bkk I have had the two extreme's, the 150kph dodgem racing driver and another time the oldest driver on the fleet and he didn't get over 70kph at anytime, and he spread across two lanes of the freeway in afternoon peak hour, buses, trucks etc screaming up behind horns blasting My TG had her fingernails inbeded in my wrist more than she did the first time on a plane taking off 5555555
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    Just make sure you have small money...including around 100 baht for tolls. I think total should be closer to 400 baht, assuming no major traffic jams. I have never waited more than 5 minutes for a cab at Swampy.

The train is straight forward, but not fun in the heat as only a small walk will have you dripping.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    500baht at most.....I think less

And just go to the normal Taxi stand.....they have it automated and I haven't waited more than a couple of minutes the last few times I have done it
    Two of the last three times no worries ... third time the automated service was down to a single machine and the taxi queue set to rival a football finals ...

So upstairs to departures to grab a taxi that has just dropped someone off it was.

Only obstacle was the one-way turnstiles separating the departures drop off lane from the airport - these will prevent you taking a bag trolley contra-flow but there is plenty of play to slip through yourself provided you can lift your luggage above waist height.

Would not expect to pay above 500 baht for the trip to Silom even with the airport charge add-on.

Enjoy...
    Quarky and jontymate like this.
    Life is the unexpected ...

No problems with the cabs, they have a great system there. You go to the floor where the taxis are, take a number from the machine and then walk up to the taxi that has your machine number on it. All were meter cabs and ours was at least using it. Did not have to pay any tolls, all was included in the price. From memory was about 350-400baht all up.

The Tuk Tuk drivers on the other hand make the Phuket ones look good. So many touts drive them and get the right hump if you do not want go visit their sponser shops.

My GF got severly stooged trying to get to the main river ferry wharf. We had been told how to get to the closet station in Silom, what station to get off at and the wharf was there. Was walking down Silom Rd and waiting to cross the street and this older guy starts talking to me, I was trying to ignore him, because I felt he was going to try and organise something for us as I has said we were going to the river.

My GF then catches up with us and I say goodbye to him and went to walk off. He then tells my GF that the TukTuk is only 10baht to the river and mysteriously one appears.

I told her not to get in, but she says only 10baht to get there, so who am I to argue, but could see where this was going to end. We get dumped off at one of what I made out to be the private wharfs. So when we got out of the TukTuk I just told her to get out of here.
    But she who knows best was having none of it. She then comes back and says we can get a day trip with lunch in a long boat for 2400baht each 55555. I just walked away and then got hassled again by the TukTuk why we not take boat ride. So in the end after walking around a bit we eventually found the public boat wharf and got a local boat to stop No10 for 40baht.
    Had a great lunch at a new complex called the Maharaj on the wharf and got a 40baht ride back on the local boat. If you want to spend the day on the river, you can get a 150baht day ticket that lets you on and off as much as you want. If we had longer there, I would have done the day ticket on the river as I have not see much at all of BKK.

Mind you I paid 400baht for a TukTuk from my hotel to Sukumvit4 on the 1st night to go and watch the football. It tok ages to get there so not sure if I was shafted or not, as only cost me 200 back in a normal taxi.
    Last edited by chelski; 24th September 2015 at 18:15.