Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Help with planing a trip to BKK with my parents in April

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar

Help with planing a trip to BKK with my parents in April

In early April I will be in BKK with my parents for a four day stop over. They are both in there 80's and it will be the first time to Asia for them.

I need recommendations on some accommodation plus any ideas of what places to take my parents too. April is hot, so I need to keep that in mind. It may seem funny but I don't really know BKK that much except the Suk area. 555 I have been to Kanchanaburi a few years back.

Dad loves trains so I am planing on a over night train trip to Kanchanaburi and hell fire pass. I plan getting the early morning train from Thonburi station to Kanchanaburi then get a taxi to hell fire pass. On the return taxi ride from hell fire pass get the driver to drop us to Nam Tok station for the afternoon scenic ride along the river. Day two explore Kanchanaburi a bit and train back to BKK.

What I need a bit of help on is

1) A hotel in the range of around 2000tb that has no steps or very little steps
    2) With the area we stay in should we stay near Nam Tok station? if not what area.
    3) Any suggestions of good places to take them that don't have to much walking or steps. I have two free days to fill after the train trip.

My parents are in good shape for the age but they are old.

And no I'm not taking dad to Cowboy, he would have a heart attach. 555 They are very Victorian.
    Last edited by OZZYGUY; 20th November 2015 at 19:12.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    5555 Take both Mum and Dad to Cowboy if you want to cash in your inheritance early 55555

I'm sure all the guys will have lots to contribute. I would look at the Royal Barge Museum it is on the river and so can access by a water taxi, no steps so to speak and has both history and craftsmanship they might appreciate, also from what I hear it isn;t over crowded....Over to all the guys that know their way around BKK

Have a great trip. Here's a Trip adviser link of reviews.

Royal Barges National Museum (Bangkok, Thailand): Hours, Address, Tickets & Tours, Attraction Reviews - TripAdvisor
    Last edited by justcruzing1; 20th November 2015 at 19:25.
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar

Well done for bringing the olds for a trip round thai Ozzy.
    Speaking of the old folks, don't rule out all the fun.
    Last time I was in Suzy Wongs there was a Chinese guy who had brought Mum and Dad in for a treat and a good time was had by all...555
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post

Well done for bringing the olds for a trip round thai Ozzy.
    Speaking of the old folks, don't rule out all the fun.
    Last time I was in Suzy Wongs there was a Chinese guy who had brought Mum and Dad in for a treat and a good time was had by all...555
    Last time I was in Suzy wongs my step son took me. Now I feel old 555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    I honestly don't think you could do better with your parents than Ibis Riverside
    It is absolutely perfect for that sort of trip

The area is real nice and laid back, you can take the boats across to all the attractions on the river and it is inexpensive with gorgeous grounds

Someone posted the Royal Barge Museum with is very near, also Asiatique, The Royal Palace, all kinds of Wats
    It is very quiet of a laid back main road that has good local restaurants and massage shops

Hotel Ibis Bangkok Riverside, Thailand - Booking.com

They also have very affordable good seafood buffet nights
    OZZYGUY and Stillearly like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน briofoz's Avatar
    Its a long walk to Hellfire Pass from the Carpark. I would reconsider that. There are several Museums in the area, all are interesting. The one that I remember best was down an old winding road, and had, amongst many other things, original colour pencil drawings of Tropical skin disorders done by prisoners. On the slope next to it was an original locomotive. It was rundown and the artifacts were deteriorating badly. That was 8 years ago so things could well have change.
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน briofoz's Avatar
    Found some info, its actually the Weary Dunlop Museum. Heres some great info on Cathy and Garys Travel Pages....

WEARY DUNLOP MUSEUM
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    I wasn't that impressed with the WD museum , but the steps down to HF pass aren't too bad , it's was a long and winding ramp iirc , the museum the is also good , would recommend

There are a few companies that do a bus to Summer Palace and then Ayuthaya and back on a barge , where you have lunch as you cruise back to Bangkok

Ayutthaya by Grand Pearl Cruise - Bangkok River Cruise Tours

Wat Arun is worth visiting and a boat trip around the Klongs of Bangkok is also good
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post

There are a few companies that do a bus to Summer Palace and then Ayuthaya and back on a barge , where you have lunch as you cruise back to Bangkok

Wat Arun is worth visiting and a boat trip around the Klongs of Bangkok is also good
    i agree with these,especially in april with the stifling heat. it's most pleasant out on the water,more so after dark.
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    I honestly don't think you could do better with your parents than Ibis Riverside
    It is absolutely perfect for that sort of trip

The area is real nice and laid back, you can take the boats across to all the attractions on the river and it is inexpensive with gorgeous grounds

Someone posted the Royal Barge Museum with is very near, also Asiatique, The Royal Palace, all kinds of Wats
    It is very quiet of a laid back main road that has good local restaurants and massage shops

Hotel Ibis Bangkok Riverside, Thailand - Booking.com

They also have very affordable good seafood buffet nights
    Agree 100% ... Ibis is our preferred venue for introducing friends and family to Bangkok. Room rates are very affordable and service excellent. Views and amenities superb and it's an easy run into the city by skytrain or down river by ferry to Asiatique. Take a longtail ride/tour up river ... fantastic!
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Thanks Marc and Rob, I just booked the Ibis.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Mrs M and I took my mother to SIN and BKK for an 80th birthday present a couple of years ago. I would recommend staying on the river also as we did. Sky train is great but there are not always escalators or lifts and it is a lot of stairs for an 80 yr old even without the BKK heat.
    I would recommend also limo type transport rather than taxis especially from airport. Waiting around in the heat is not on with the olds.
    Check out the TBRC in Kanchanaburi it is the best WW2 museum around.
    Post typed on my phone whilst bouncing down the Bangna road in a Bkk taxi
    justcruzing1 and OZZYGUY like this.
    Life is the unexpected ...

Quote Originally Posted by Minder View Post
    Mrs M and I took my mother to SIN and BKK for an 80th birthday present a couple of years ago. I would recommend staying on the river also as we did. Sky train is great but there are not always escalators or lifts and it is a lot of stairs for an 80 yr old even without the BKK heat.
    I would recommend also limo type transport rather than taxis especially from airport. Waiting around in the heat is not on with the olds.
    Check out the TBRC in Kanchanaburi it is the best WW2 museum around.
    Post typed on my phone whilst bouncing down the Bangna road in a Bkk taxi
    Thanks Minder, the BKK Part of the trip is my mums 80th birthday present. The whole family are going to Cebu the week after but Im surprising the olds and taking them the week before to BKK first.

Mum says I go to Thailand so much it must be a beautiful place. 555
    Last edited by OZZYGUY; 21st November 2015 at 17:18.
    Quarky, Minder and PeteGill like this.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    You'll enjoy the Ibis but as MrM says, use aircon taxis or limo's when necessary. Having said this, from BKK or DMK airports the train into city is well worthwhile as it's a long way in heavy traffic across town to Ibis. eg: From DMK, taxi to Mochit BTS which has a lift then all the way to Thon Buri station. By prearrangement you can phone the Ibis for pick up at Thon Buri or just grab a cab. From BKK take airtrain to Phaya Thai and taxi from there.

Ibis can book you on a longtail or DIY by walking out past the pool and massage shack to the river where you'll find the boats moored in an inlet. Negotiate a price depending on what you want to see but try and get boat with biggest motor ... they fly at WOT.

Walking out from IBIS to main road, 7-11 on corner as you turn right and a good local restaurant a bit further up near the intersection. Shopping centre across road has a WineConnection and various eateries. River ferry access is across thru the park under Taksin bridge... all handy and within 5 mins walk or take a taxi.
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

I have used Oriental Escape twice now for limo services and would recommend them. Thailand & Indochina Travel Service by Oriental Escape - Offer quality tour, vacation packages and transfer service in Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar and Vietnam.
    It is a nice touch after a long flight to have someone waiting there with a sign with the parents name on it who will help with your luggage and guide you to your limo ( the waiting bottles of water, the roomy vehicle etc)
    Sure a taxi is cheaper but the new taxi-by-ticket system at Swampy is a total POS ( piece of sh!t) as your taxi is parked in a numbered bay a hundred metres away with the driver dozing in it and so no more are those assistants that cross-check that the driver understands where you want to go.
    Enjoy.
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    Good choice!
    You will love it with having your parents with you
    Just the perfect spot for them
    OZZYGUY likes this.

We stayed at the Ramada Menam in the same area. It was an excellent (lucky) choice of hotel and location. Plenty to do in the area and easy access to the skytrain (Saphan Taksin). Anybody stayed at both hotels and can compare?
    Enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by Minder View Post
    We stayed at the Ramada Menam in the same area. It was an excellent (lucky) choice of hotel and location. Plenty to do in the area and easy access to the skytrain (Saphan Taksin). Anybody stayed at both hotels and can compare?
    Enjoy
    I haven't stayed at Ramada but I have stayed at Shangri LA on that side of the river.

My opinion of Ibis is that it actually has nicer grounds/pool area than Shangri-La
    Of course the rooms are basic.

And some other things that is great about Ibis is it is down a side street of the main road so real quiet.
    At the pool, they offer Thai food tapas style so you can order 3,4 or 5 small dishes of Thai food which I much prefer sitting by the pool than a big meal.

And just the area itself across the river. It is just so laid back.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    I haven't stayed at Ramada but I have stayed at Shangri LA on that side of the river.

My opinion of Ibis is that it actually has nicer grounds/pool area than Shangri-La
    Of course the rooms are basic.

And some other things that is great about Ibis is it is down a side street of the main road so real quiet.
    At the pool, they offer Thai food tapas style so you can order 3,4 or 5 small dishes of Thai food which I much prefer sitting by the pool than a big meal.

And just the area itself across the river. It is just so laid back.
    Approx 1/3 the price of Ramada. Ibis seafood buffet on Thursday night is a nice treat, inside with air-con or outside by the river. We haven't eaten other meals in the restaurant, despite an excellent menu, as so many venues all around. Ozzy may wish to take his folk on an evening dinner river cruise although I have no personal experience. I know the catering/providoring is done just 100m south of Ibis, not sure if that is departure point but Ibis tour desk will know.
    Cheers, Rob.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast