Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Moo Uaon
  • 2 Post By Seven_

Thread: Vehicle into Cambodia

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar

Vehicle into Cambodia

Up country next month close to Cambodian border and TG has family next door, are you allowed to take a vehicle over border into Cambodia, and is there any pre set requirements or tea money required to do that ?
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    The official answer is not without a heck of a lot of paperwork and permits from the DMT and IMM...but I am told Thais do it all the time without consequence

also remember YOU are crossing a border so any Visa you are holding will be null and void or will require a re-entry permit...and you will only get another 15 days unless you are setting in action another 60 day visa already granted...that is if the road has a border patrol or you are caught

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    When I drove over to Laos We had to show ownership papers of the vehicle.........at the time you were not allowed to take a vehicle with finance owing or a hire car across the border. I presume similar rules down there?
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    It's doable with the the correct paperwork and your green book translated at your local land tax office.
    Thai insurance is null and void over there.
    With one of those new multi entry tourist visa you be good to go back at the thai border.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    Thanks people, seems like I will put that into the too hard basket.

Re Visa, I( was unaware of that) so if you drop over another Border like we were planning to do that "Null and Voids" the current Visa for Thailand you have ? Last trip we popped over the Cambodian border to a Market, where went through a checkpoint paid a small some, they had my Passport until we returned.
    Last edited by Arliss Michaels; 27th April 2016 at 11:41.

Yeah. You can pop in and out by foot same day. For a longer stay it wouldn't be a problem with the new multi entry TV.....good for 6 months.

Seven_
    As others have said, its not that hard to take a Thai vehicle into Cambodia, all you need is to own the vehicle outright, the owner must be present and match the registration book.

But your Thai insurance doesn't cover you, and you can't get Cambodia insurance.

I have also been told that every cop or check point will be after a donation.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven_ View Post

I have also been told that every cop or check point will be after a donation.
    So just the same as Thailand

Quote Originally Posted by Seven_ View Post
    As others have said, its not that hard to take a Thai vehicle into Cambodia, all you need is to own the vehicle outright, the owner must be present and match the registration book.
    Probably the case if a Thai owner but I have taken a car into Cambodia and a letter of residence here from the Dept Imm was required and an ownership letter and permit from the DMT was also required...they required me to furnish them with all ownership paperwork + the letter of residence from IMM plus an itinerary of where we were headed

This was about 6-7 years ago though

Quote Originally Posted by Arliss Michaels View Post
    Up country next month close to Cambodian border and TG has family next door, are you allowed to take a vehicle over border into Cambodia, and is there any pre set requirements or tea money required to do that ?
    From the Bangkok Post today:

Here's what Thai drivers need to know when they drive their cars into neighbouring countries.

Thai vehicles leaving for neighbouring countries are required to have a vehicle inspection certificate, vehicle registration book, driving license in English, English-language plate and sticker with a "T" alphabet, representing Thailand.

Motorists may find difficulties entering Myanmar and Cambodia, which set regulations to control foreign vehicles entering, such as advance car registration through authorised tour operators. Consulting veteran tour operators is the best way for planning self-drive trips into such countries.

Please credit and share this article with others using this link:Home and away | Bangkok Post: lifestyle. View our policies at Bangkok Post: Terms and conditions of use and Bangkok Post: Republishing policy. Post Publishing PCL. All rights reserved.

Thanks again for all, but taking car shelved BUT TG now tells me still need to go take Mum to see Sister's family who lived there & passed away earlier this year, all just over a week before fly out to LOS.

So with no time to backtrack if anyone can answer these questions greatly appreciated

Who to fly with ?
    Where to stay mid range comfortable in Phnom Penh
    What main 5 attractions are a must do
    Best way to get around PP
    Any Tips, Dining places etc
    Are their Visa requiremnts for Aust ?
    Best Currency to use

All replies greatly appreciated, as been given such short notice, I have not the time or any knowledge on the subject.

Maybe I will send Ma & TG, and I will sneak down to Phuket to catch up with Chob, Baz & crew
    Last edited by Arliss Michaels; 29th April 2016 at 13:33.

Quote Originally Posted by Arliss Michaels View Post
    Thanks again for all, but taking car shelved BUT TG now tells me still need to go take Mum to see Sister's family who lived there & passed away earlier this year, all just over a week before fly out to LOS.

So with no time to backtrack if anyone can answer these questions greatly appreciated

Who to fly with ?
    Where to stay mid range comfortable in Phnom Penh
    What main 5 attractions are a must do
    Best way to get around PP
    Any Tips, Dining places etc

All replies greatly appreciated, as been given such short notice, I have not the time or any knowledge on the subject.

Maybe I will send Ma & TG, and I will sneak down to Phuket to catch up with Chob, Baz & crew
    fly with Air Asia and use taxis in PP. they can also take you around to the bars and tourist spots etc
    Arliss Michaels likes this.

agree with Lew...Air Asia is cheap and good

Everybody uses $US howver some riel will be given in change...good for tips

the tuk tuk guys in PP will take you anywhere in PP for $2-3...great way to see the city although I highly recommend walking particularly along the Riverside Boulevarde

Tons of great restaurants at a reasonable price..Taitanc on a boat overlooking the river is quite upmarket but good food and still at a reasonable price, Chiang Mai along the riverfront, Metro is a great western style place as is Friends...and Mali's is a great place for an upmarket Khmer meal

Pt2...

you can get a visa on arrival iirc it is US$35...make sure you have the money and a photo handy or else you will be waiting in a long queue

There are loads of nice hotels for similar sorts of prices to BKK...give me a price range and I can maybe help out...if you are up for spending about $100 a night this place is gorgeous and nearby Wat Phnom Penh...

The Plantation Hotel, Phnom Penh - urban resort & spa

attractions...The Royal Palace, The History Museum, Wat Phnom Penh, The Russian Market....and the Teuol Sleng and Killing Fields Genocide Museums if you are up for those, very sobering

Seven_
    Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    Probably the case if a Thai owner but I have taken a car into Cambodia and a letter of residence here from the Dept Imm was required and an ownership letter and permit from the DMT was also required...they required me to furnish them with all ownership paperwork + the letter of residence from IMM plus an itinerary of where we were headed

This was about 6-7 years ago though
    Like much of Thailand, the rules can vary from border crossing to border crossing, day to day, person to person.

That's what makes Thailand so fun, you never can predict what will happen. 555
    bacwaan and Ian Forbes like this.