Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: International Driving Permit

Uber Star Foundation member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน vanguy77's Avatar

International Driving Permit

When renting a car in LOS, do you need an IDP (International Driving Permit) or will your valid Driver's Licence from home work fine? I've read conflicting information elsewhere, and just want to be sure.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    It only costs about $30AUD to pick one up here in OZ... I get one just in case I have an accident and my insurance company ask's for one, also if the BIB pull you over your covered...
    I'm sure they're not that expensive in Vancouver..

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar
    From what I have seen the MIB do not really care if you have an international Licence or just your standard Drivers licence. But you may get a Policeman who is to the book and may hit you with a 300B fine.. Being in a smaller village area you will not have many police around as Noy has told me anyway, She said she never see's the MIB anywhere near her place. As said above if you do have an accident I believe you will need to have an International Drivers Licence to make a claim on travel Insurance but be careful with Travel Insurance. Read the fine print most will say your medical cost are covered if an accident occurs and others will say medical costs and cost of Excess of vehicle is covered. This also means you will have to take out Insurance on the vehicle (from the rental Company) if you were to make a claim as it state "vehicle excess will be covered" rather then costs to repair vehicle. Insurance companies will get out of paying any way they can so might not hurt to look further into your travel insurance

I have the form in front of me, just printed it from the CAA site. Seems easy enough to get and only costs $15 CAN. So any driving tips for driving in Thailand? Going to a small village, is a small compact going to be ok? Also, any recommendations for car rental agencies? Is sticking with the big names like Budget or Avis a good idea, or should I be checking out the small outfits?

I have never rented but was in a Toyota Vios driven from Bangkok to NE Isaan. About an 8 hour drive. And to be honest, after a while the traffic feels similar to London (In Bangkok) and rural England when in Isaan. I would have driven but wasn't insured so didn't risk it. But no qualms about doing so had I been insured. It's left hand side of the road too which makes it even easier. Maybe not for those used to the right hand side though... but I drove all around Europe which is right hand drive and you adjust pretty quickly.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    I agree with what DP said about the overall driving scene and have done the BKK/Buriram/Patts round trip twice now using Budget.
    Pick up in BKK drop off in Patts. Would recommend them as they bring the vehicle to you and can even guide you out of BKK traffic if you are wary of that.
    Roads are generally excellent and you only really need a small car. I got pulled up once by the MIB looking for an international license but Mrs C convinced them that we drive everywhere in the world without problem so they let it go

You can see some scary driving antics and you get good at staying out of the way.

And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Yes, I am thinking more and more this may be the way to go to get from Phisanulok to Ban Mung. It might even be worthwhile renting the car out of Chiang Mai and using it for my whole southern round trip through Phitsanulok to Ban Mung and back.

I've always drven the right side, but I rented a car for a week while in England and had no trouble driving on the wrong ... I mean the left ... side of the road.

They like to do the courtesy 'beep beep'....
    Most people just seem to cruise around up north, every now and then you will come across some young bloke being a tool on his motorbike...
    I think its safer than driving in Melbourne's city

This thread actully got me thinking about getting mine on the way. I do ahve a question myself abotu these. My driveres licence is currently Suspended (11 days to go ) so will they give me the International Licence now or shoudl i wait til the suspension is lifted? PPB How long roughly did it take to be processed? I just want to make sure it has come in the mail before I leave for LOS

It was instant... walked into Fountain Gate RACV paid my $30 and was out in 5min... you need 2 passport photos but I think they actually can take them there, and you will need a current licence so you will have to wait the 11 days

Quote Originally Posted by PatongBeachBoy View Post
    It was instant... walked into Fountain Gate RACV paid my $30 and was out in 5min... you need 2 passport photos but I think they actually can take them there, and you will need a current licence so you will have to wait the 11 days
    I have Passport Photos so that is no problem, i had no idea it was instant. I guess I can wait for it then. But i do still have my Licence card and it doesn't say It is suspended or anything, did they do any checks or just look at the card?

They just look at it, I think I took my passport in as well just for extra I.D.
    You might be ok with just you licence card... you still have 2 months b4 you go no real rush

I was able to pick it up today for $15 CAN and it took about 15 minutes to get. It is handled here by the Canadian Automobile Association. I just needed to have the 2 passport sized photos, my current driver's licence and one other piece of ID.

Just got mine done the other day and was shocked to see it was just a piece of card folded a few times... I thought it was in the form of plastic card like a Normal Drivers Licence. Doesn't make it easy to carry around on a MB... Oh well I can now legally drive in and out of Australia now

There's nothing flash about it...

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Next time we go we are hiringa car so i will get mine done before i go.
    Never bothered for hiring motorbikes....or owning one.
    Handing MIB my licence never stopped a fine they would just find an other reason to give my a fine...55555