Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Anyone Flown Qatar from Australia to London

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน chelski's Avatar

Anyone Flown Qatar from Australia to London

I have had to have a hastily arranged trip back to the UK as my Mum died on Saturday, so after a lot off searching decided on Qatar, mainly on price, as this time of year (coming up to Xmas), flights back to Europe can get very expensive. So due to that and time constraints, I am leaving on Sunday night and get into LHR on Monday lunchtime, and arrive back in just under 14 days.

Just wondering if anyone who had flown with Qatar had any comments (good or bad) on what their experiences were. Only have 2hrs stop over, so will just find a bar to have a drink and then back on the plane. Have 777/300ER plane from Perth to Dhoa & A380 Dhoa to LHR. At present the planes do not look to full, so hopefully stays that way.

I tried to complete the trip in 2 weeks, as other than the funeral, we have to clean out mum Mums place to give it back to the Council, so not much holiday time on this trip. I tried to fly Thai, but because of the late date in the 14 days we got for the funeral, I could not get a 2 day stopover that did not take me into the 3rd week. So have to settle for a round trip there and back.

Anyone have any ideas of any good places in the airport for food and drink. I was thinking of just checking into a lounge for the 2 hrs of my stopover if it came to it.
    So if anyone has any ideas or comments, I would appreciate to hear them.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Sorry about your mum mate.

I havent been with them but my old house mate did many times. She raved about them was always saying how good they are. Jo would fly with them a few times a month.

Cheers Ozzy, that is a good start anyway.
    With my Mum, I knew she was pissed off when I went over in May. Her knees were shot and she could not really get around anymore. Was as much as she could do to walk across the floor to the bathroom. She went in hospital about 3 weeks ago, and with what they told us, I had a feeling she would not come out.
    She passed away peacefully on Saturday morning (UK time). Personally, I think it was for the best as she did not suffer. I would have hated to see that.
    Sydney, OZZYGUY and Tingtong like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar
    Sorry to hear about your mum Chelski.

I've flown with Qatar Airways before and highly recommend them. I'd put them on par with if not better then Emirates. I flew on the A380.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    My condolences also on your Mum. Mine is mostly okay at the moment but have had some touch and go moments in the last year. Didn't suffer? We should all be so lucky. RIP

My only comment on your trip is that a 2 hour stopover is hardly any time at all. Get off, look around a bit and time to board again. I doubt you will have time to find a decent lounge to check into - let alone have time to get your monies worth.

IMHO one or two beers at an airport bar will be all you will have time for...

Safe travels....
    Life is the unexpected ...

Sorry to hear about your Mum. Hope all goes well for you and the family. No grog onboard? Usually after 12 hrs on a plane a good walk around and stretch is enough.

Thanks guys for the info and kind words.

Minder
    I have been back with Emirates before and their flight times are about the same, with a 2 hour stop over. I think once we got through security, I had time for a pint and then back on the plane, so that will be about it. Is OK if you have been to an airport before and know where everything is, but takes time if you do not.

Retdent
    Royal Brunie is the only one that I know of that does not sell drink on the plane, so hopefully Qatar have not decided to jump on board with that idea
    Minder likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cuzzy's Avatar
    Went on Royal Brunei once.. The prayers before takeoff and landing a bit different.

A mate has flown Qatar a few times and has good things to say about them. He's a non drinker though. Didn't mention if they are alcohol free or not.
    Experts : People who know more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.

I am not really worried about lots of drink on the plane, but is always nice to have a glass of red with the cheese and biscuits you normally get on the tray

I nearly had to say prayers when I got on the plane from Phuket to Samui when I saw it had propellers. I had always vowed never to get on a plane with propellers, but did not have much choice in the matter 5555

From what I have read, no bars in the airport, other than in a couple of the Lounges, but the most recent posts on Trip Advisor (about 1 year ago), said they did serve alcohol in Economy on long haul flights. Anyway we will see what happens.
    Last edited by chelski; 24th November 2016 at 23:17.

PGC
    Drinks are free on Qatar, you don't have to worry. Can get a bit stingy during Ramadan, but ok the rest of the time. The 380 in Qatar layout is one of the best Economy seats you can travel in. I rarely use Qatar because they have horrendous layover times, 20+ hours, from the UK. Looks like you have struck lucky on that.

Sorry to hear about your Mum.
    Minder likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PGC View Post
    Drinks are free on Qatar, you don't have to worry. Can get a bit stingy during Ramadan, but ok the rest of the time. The 380 in Qatar layout is one of the best Economy seats you can travel in. I rarely use Qatar because they have horrendous layover times, 20+ hours, from the UK. Looks like you have struck lucky on that.

Sorry to hear about your Mum.
    Cheers for that, Am not sure what is like in the other states in Australia, but layover times flying out of Perth to the Uk are pretty good. Emirates are pretty much the same layovers as Qatar. Had a look at Ethiad and much the same as well. there are longer ones if you want, but as this is not really a holiday trip, I just want to get there and back in the quickest time. So this serves its purpose well. Layover on the way back is also just over 2 hours.

Just found out something I did not know re Travel Insurance when you have having a short transit stop over.

I always use Covermore as they are just about the only ones that will cover me with my existing conditions re my heart operation etc. So I booked it stating Qatar & UK as places of visit (even though I am on transiting 2hrs). I thought that if I was to take a bad turn, have slip and fall etc while I was in Qatar Airport, that I would need the cover for while I was in the airport. So booked last night and then was told by a friend, there was no need to do that.

Because of the problems I have, I tend to over insure than under insure, if I have any doubts of coverage. So 1st went on their chat line and the person I spoke with said that with them, you get up to 72hrs on a continuing flight before you have to state the country for insurance.
    So checked again and found it was over $90 cheaper just for insuring going to the UK and not include Qatar.

Rang them up, they cancelled the policy on the spot with no penalty and I re-booked a new policy on their website and all is good.
    Takes 3-5 business days for the refund to hit my card

If anyone else was to do as I have just done. I would first ring your insurer and see what the policy is for transit as we know what cnuts Insurance Companies can be with the fine print, and not honoring the policy. Not all of them might have the 72hrs policy

Cuzzy
    When you said that you went on Royal Brunei once and they had prayers before takeoff and landing. Perhaps they were praying for a safe take off and landing and getting there in one piece. I would hate to think of the prayers they would have to say on Aeroflot out of Russia if that was the case. 5555
    Last edited by chelski; 25th November 2016 at 13:30.
    Minder, Tingtong and Cuzzy like this.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chelski View Post
    Thanks guys for the info and kind words.

Minder
    I have been back with Emirates before and their flight times are about the same, with a 2 hour stop over. I think once we got through security, I had time for a pint and then back on the plane, so that will be about it. Is OK if you have been to an airport before and know where everything is, but takes time if you do not.

Retdent
    Royal Brunei is the only one that I know of that does not sell drink on the plane, so hopefully Qatar have not decided to jump on board with that idea
    Yep, no drinks sold though I was told (but never tried it) that you could consume your own alcohol on board

I flew Royal Brunei quite a few times in the earlier days of the courtship of Mrs M ... 2004/05/06 their just under $800 PER-BWN-BKK return PP airfare was the best value in those almost pre-budget-airline days .... best airline food I have ever had ... a real meal even in Economy, it seemed what they saved on alcohol went into the quality of the meal.....can't believe I am salivating writing about it ... airplane food?? 555

Biggest down side was the stop-over in the tiny Bandar Seri Begawan international (cough!) airport - did I say a couple of hours is not long? It can be. Plus the butch religious Police prowling around hassling other females didn't add much to the ambiance of the place ....

Prayers before take-off ... Sure ... but I saw that as a plus in those just-after-9/11-and Bali-bombing-days ....
    Life is the unexpected ...

You are right Minder, I think at the time Perth was the main hub for them, and they were cheap at the time. Never see them advertised in the West now, so must have shifted airports they operate out of
    Minder likes this.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    Sorry to hear about you Mum also Chelski

2 hour stopover sounds good, 4-6 hours for both of the flights i have made to the UK .... hard to say this without sounding bad, but3 more weeks and your flight cost would have being through the roof, if you could have got a seat at all ...

I have to wonder in a emergency like a death or sickness, can you plead this if there are no seats a week out from Xmas ? .. to any country when leaving Aus
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydney View Post
    Sorry to hear about you Mum also Chelski

2 hour stopover sounds good, 4-6 hours for both of the flights i have made to the UK .... hard to say this without sounding bad, but3 more weeks and your flight cost would have being through the roof, if you could have got a seat at all ...

I have to wonder in a emergency like a death or sickness, can you plead this if there are no seats a week out from Xmas ? .. to any country when leaving Aus
    Tell me about it. If i left it another week the prices were on the up and another week outrageous because of Christmas. I did feel bad but had to give my brother the hurry up to get things sorted. But in the end. I got things in the time span i wanted
    Last edited by chelski; 27th November 2016 at 07:25.
    Sydney likes this.

Sydney, in reference to your questions re airlines helping out in an emergency. From what my GF (who is a travel agent) had commented in the past, the airlines will do all they can to help get you on a flight, possibly bump others from the flight so you can get on, but the cost will be no cheaper because of the emergency. That is my understanding of how it works
    Sydney likes this.

Quick report on Qatar flight and airport. Customs tranist check was Ok and no real hassle. You can get a beer at one place in the airport and that is the Caviar & Seafood Bar, I did not bother as it was only 630am in the morning. But there was some diehards enjoying a morning beer.

Fair bit of walking to be done to gt to the gates, so I would say that like Dubai, 2 hours would be the minimum yu would want as a connection, even if only transiting. Plenty of places to eat and get coffee. if you happen to get any gates from 5 to 11. There is a small coffee/food place right at the end by gate 11.

Flight was packed on the way out with no spare seats. I can see this becoming a common thing as the flights are cheap and with a heap of connections to all over Europe, this will become a popular route with young backpackers wanting cheap trips to Europe. This was very evident looking at the flight out on Sunday. Flight to London had over 200 spare seats, so had a row to myself

Staff on the flight were good and also some good looking hosties as well. All seemed very friendly and helpful and looked as though they liked their jobs (unlike some airlines). Food that I had was good and tasty. Free drinks trolly when they were serving food, but you could get drinks by calling the hostie or asking when they were passing.

I would certainly give them another try if I come back to the UK again, especially at the prices they are charging, and the good connection times they have into London.
    Sydney likes this.

Their On Time record is among the best in the business too! [Not fudged by trickery like some carriers ie: extended arrival time/transponder abuse]

I was looking at CNX (via BKK and DOH) to Athens for mid 2017 and their connection times and prices beat Emirates. The BKK/Dubai layovers of 3 and 5 hours took a toll!
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Kaptin Rob
    If you are going to Athens in Mid 2017, I have seen Scoot are starting a service from Singapore to Athens at pretty cheap prices. Best thing to do is do a test boking to see what add ons there are on top of the advertised flight prices. They are a budget carrier, so best to check.
    I have used them a couple of times from Perth to Singapore and found them very good. Modern planes, good service, all round was good value.

Is freezing in the UK at presentand very dreary weather, so have spent the last 3 days packing up my Mum' place, ready for my brother to move it all out. So just about finished now and all we have to do is move the stuff out and hand back the keys when we are finished.

Funeral is Tuesday afternoon and I am on my way back of Friday, and hopefully back to some warm weather.

Looking forward to going too the pub tomorrow to see Chelsea v Man City, hopefully another win for the Blues
    kaptainrob likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast