The best and friendliest guesthouse in Patong.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Train travel expert.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockitt View Post
    I’ve decided to take the number 8 day train leaving CM at 08.50 tomorrow morning. The sleeper service tonight and tomorrow night was fully booked, with only normal seating available. I’ve arranged for my lady friend to pick me up from Bangkok station at 19.25pm but I’ve told her it may be a few minutes late. 555. Should be an experience.
    I think the day train is the best for your first trip. I found it hard to sleep in the sleeper as the train stops and starts and jerks it's way along and tends to shake you awake anyway.
    Waking up and not having decent bathroom facilities isn't the best way to wake if you do get some sleep. if i recall correctly a dumper i saw dumped straight onto the track 55

chok dee
    Last edited by Moo Uaon; 9th October 2017 at 12:56.
    Rockitt likes this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Well although the trip was long, about the same time as a direct flight from the UK, it was quite a pleasant experience. The daytime sprinter service was just a 3 car unit but the seats were very comfortable with plenty of legroom. Snacks and a drink were provided in the morning and afternoon and and flight style meal at midday.
    The timings were bang on until we approached Bkk where we were held up for 45 mins. There were quite a few spare seats when we left CM but by the time we got too Bkk it was full. I was amazed at the number of staff on the train. Guards, engineers, cleaners and food servers etc.
    So all in all I enjoyed the trip, the beautiful scenery especially in the north, and the value for money.
    Distantpeak and Hatari like this.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    if you were only about an hour or so late I'd call that pretty good...I took an overnighter once and we had to get off the train and onto buses (track maintenace) for a couple of hours and then back on another train...we were about 8 hours late iirc...

TBH I'd never do it again...I've had the experience now...planes are much quicker and easier these days...if you get a discounted ticket they can be around the same price or even less

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post

TBH I'd never do it again...I've had the experience now...planes are much quicker and easier these days...if you get a discounted ticket they can be around the same price or even less
    Flights have become so cheap here if you book ahead that is costs you about the same as renting a car and driving
    I like going to Portland and to rent a car/pay for gas and then drive 5 1/2 hours is about the same price as flying 50mins

Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    if you were only about an hour or so late I'd call that pretty good...I took an overnighter once and we had to get off the train and onto buses (track maintenace) for a couple of hours and then back on another train...we were about 8 hours late iirc...

Well I guess I’ve also had the experience too. Would I do it again? Well, not this week anyway 555. But I did enjoy the experience of Thai railways, their old fashioned work practices and the crazy way they do things. And because I work for the railways in the UK I suppose I have an added interest. I hope I am not beginning to sound like a train spotter. 555
    Distantpeak, bacwaan and Hatari like this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    I caught a 3 car DMU from BKK- Hua Hin... well nearly Hua Hin. The trains themselves aren't bad at all. I think they are circa 1996 and Daewoo products. The things I drive are 36 years old and just a modified version of the HST 125's from England

We left at about 08:00 from BKK and all was going great. Before we left I spoke with the driver while he was having a smoke. Mrs Dave did the translation. Being drivers, there is a kinda brotherhood connection when you meet another driver from somewhere around the world. This bloke was a very nice fella. Invited me into his cab to have a bo peep. ASked if I wanted a drive (I didn't, and wasn't sure if he was serious) And to be honest, they run a single line system to to the South West, very similar to what we run here.
    Single line with crossing loops.

Anyway after a bit I head back to my seat and not long after we go into a back platform at Phetchaburi.. I thought it was strange when the driver walked across the running line to another platform and was talking with the station master. I wandered over to have a smoke myself, and busy body. I asked what was doing, because we were about 15 minutes down at that stage. A train had derailed in the section ahead. Only one bogie, but the line would be blocked for about 4 hours. We grabbed our bags, took a tuk tuk up to big c caught the oldest bus in the world to the north part of Hua Hin ( about soi 6 from memory) and the moto taxi to our room in soi 78. The driver of the train told me that he would just wait it out and then be on their way... He more or less said the pax were free to do as they wished but there would be no bus.

If we have stuff like that go down, busses are organised pretty quickly for the pax... not so much it seems, in Thailand. I enjoy train travel in Thailand even though it is a bit of a lottery at times. I kinda understand why delays are happening, and that makes it easier for me. Not so sure about others who have no understanding of railway working, I imagine it would be very frustrating if you have no Thai (or translator), even if they do make announcements, which aren't a given. Rail travel in Thailand, IME, has always been entertaining to say the least.
    Distantpeak, Rockitt and bacwaan like this.
    Life is short..... and love is always over in the morning.

Great story Dave01. I can relate to that fully. At least the delays in Thailand are operational, mechanical etc and not red tape, staff shortages and very petty safety rules.
    The 3 car unit was in good shape considering its age. They had only just finished re-blocking one of the units on the station when I arrived. On the station there was a notice which basically said that the timetable was only there as a rough guide and anything can happen to make things late and in no way can the state railways be blamed 555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    I love taking the train in US vs flying when I can

There is not the crazy security like the airport.
    You show up 5-10mins before it leaves
    All the seats are as nice as business class on a plane and you can walk around and not so cramped.
    I sit in the quiet car and it really is a nice ride.

Three is a train from LA to San Diego that I heard is very scenic I want to take

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Good way to save some wear and tear on the scoot...

Rivo, Rockitt and Hatari like this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12