The best and friendliest guesthouse in Patong.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Train travel expert.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    yes..what would you like to know?

The BKK-CM trip I took a first class sleeper...it was comfy enough for the 2 of us but nothing luxurious...we slept in fits and starts as did the train...555..took about 20 hours for a 13 hour (scheduled) trip

I have done parts of the Re-unification Express..never the whole trip at once..that would kill me... it is around 30+ hours (never on time) and about 1800Ks long iirc...there are a couple of nice sections, around Hue (Hai Van Pass in particular) and near Nah Trang (beaches) which are quite picturesque from memory...once again I wouldn't call it luxury (nothing like a first class sleeper on the Ghan say) so my recommendation is do as i did and take part journeys...like Nah Trang to Hue etc
    Good advice. Even with the best of Thai accommodation it's still going to be a drag. I've done a bit of rail travel in Thailand and at the end of the trip decided flying was better. I doubt if it would be much different in Vietnam.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    yes..what would you like to know?

The BKK-CM trip I took a first class sleeper...it was comfy enough for the 2 of us but nothing luxurious...we slept in fits and starts as did the train...555..took about 20 hours for a 13 hour (scheduled) trip

I have done parts of the Re-unification Express..never the whole trip at once..that would kill me... it is around 30+ hours (never on time) and about 1800Ks long iirc...there are a couple of nice sections, around Hue (Hai Van Pass in particular) and near Nah Trang (beaches) which are quite picturesque from memory...once again I wouldn't call it luxury (nothing like a first class sleeper on the Ghan say) so my recommendation is do as i did and take part journeys...like Nah Trang to Hue etc
    I'd imagine there would be plenty of scenery along the way.

You can have a whole cabin to yourself yeah?
    Worry is a misuse of the imagination.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    ^ I took the overnight train BKK-CM...I didn't really find the scenery heading out of BKK into the country side very enthralling (flat and red dirt-ish) and then slept/lay down most of the night in darkness....it is obviously much nicer/greener/mountainous terrain the further north you get...but I must say that I was getting a bit fed up with the slowness/lateness of the train in those morning and early afternoon hours that we were still creeping aloong on it rather than exploring CM...

here's a vid that describes the cabins better than I could do in words....no different to when I took it..555

I did watch a couple of vids and I was disappointed by the condition of the room in that one. Then I came across another video and the cabin in that one looks much much better. Maybe they're getting slowly upgraded.

The tour starts at 2:45

bacwaan likes this.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    There are a couple of vids on YT for the Vietnam Trains but I chose this chick as she's pretty cool with a nice easy going attitude, despite the obvious frustrations....this train/cabin also hasn't changed much since I was last on it about 20 years ago....555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    Can you Get a Beer on The Thai Trains ? Sounds like a Necessity .

Cadet silver
    Quote Originally Posted by Tingtong View Post
    Can you Get a Beer on The Thai Trains ? Sounds like a Necessity .
    Until a couple of years ago, beer was sold in the dining car and some good times could be had.

Then an employee of the State Railways raped and murdered a girl and threw her out the window.

After the inevitable inquiry, it was decided that alcohol would no longer be sold to passengers.

Figure that out.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    ^Typical , Someone always has to ruin a good thing . I think a long trip on the Thai Train would be fun with some friends getting on the drink ...Never know could meet some fun Lady's too .

Yep, no smoking and no booze on any of the trains I traveled on last month. Plenty of vendors selling food and tea/ coffee and soft drinks but nothing special. The long distance journeys are tedious. I much prefer the 90 minute short trips from Chiangmai or Bangkok.
    Ian Forbes likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockitt View Post
    Yep, no smoking and no booze on any of the trains I traveled on last month. Plenty of vendors selling food and tea/ coffee and soft drinks but nothing special. The long distance journeys are tedious. I much prefer the 90 minute short trips from Chiangmai or Bangkok.
    If I want to see the country I will ride my bike or rent a car.

Bottle of Sangsom in your bag. Sorted.
    Rockitt, Ian Forbes and Tingtong like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    If I want to see the country I will ride my bike or rent a car.
    Besides the obvious scenic routes you know so well in the North

I find Thailand one of the least scenic countries I have ever driven in, if not the least scenic

Again, taking out the rides in the North
    I can't remember one right that you would call scenic in my driving from Bangkok and south and Bangkok to 2hrs Northwest to Suphan Buri

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน slampay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Buksida View Post
    Until a couple of years ago, beer was sold in the dining car and some good times could be had.

Then an employee of the State Railways raped and murdered a girl and threw her out the window.

After the inevitable inquiry, it was decided that alcohol would no longer be sold to passengers.

Figure that out.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    They should have outlawed girls on the train.

Or Windows...

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Besides the obvious scenic routes you know so well in the North

I find Thailand one of the least scenic countries I have ever driven in, if not the least scenic

Again, taking out the rides in the North
    I can't remember one right that you would call scenic in my driving from Bangkok and south and Bangkok to 2hrs Northwest to Suphan Buri
    Agreed for any travel north-south through the heart of Thailand. East-west it is a different story and usually goes through mountains and hills. That is why I like to ride and get off the beaten path. But it just takes longer. Kind of like driving through eastern Alberta, and through Saskatchewan and Manitoba. Or, like driving through central USA. You have to explore a bit to see the interesting sections.

Cadet silver
    Quote Originally Posted by Tingtong View Post
    ^Typical , Someone always has to ruin a good thing . I think a long trip on the Thai Train would be fun with some friends getting on the drink ...Never know could meet some fun Lady's too .
    Meeting ladies was definitely on the cards, but that's another story.
    I have never much liked train travel in Thailand and can only remember one interesting trip. I traveled with a mate of mine from Bangkok to Nakhon Sri Thammarat. It was so long ago I am pretty sure it had a steam locomotive. My mate was a veteran on that particular route while I was a novice.
    He was a good guy but with an unfortunate weekness for the demon rum. He was fairly well pissed by the time we got to Thonburi. In those days a train change was required there to get on the Southern line and I was already nervous as we were carrying a golf bag full of pump action shotguns and an M16 he had brought up to Bangkok to get some parts for from some pals he had at JUSMAG, The handguns we had were correctly licensed, the shotguns were kind of a grey area legally but the M16 and ammo could have have gotten us into shit.
    Anyway, we navigated the train change without incident and settled into some steady drinking. As First Class passengers it seemed that it was the train Guard's job to keep us supplied with drinks from the dining car, which he did admirably.
    This went on for many miles until my mate decided it was a pretty lousy party without girls. To my astonishment, he summoned the guard and explained our predicament (with some cash). I could not see how this could work on a train and after the guard said he would "try" I decided to discreetly follow him in the hope of educating myself.
    The tactic involved heading off to the 3rd class carriages and tapping every girl traveling on her own on the shoulder and offering this tremendous business opportunity. From a distance, it looked like some of the reactions he got were somewhat violent, but he appeared to be a thick skinned chap and interested in the commission he was bound to receive so he persevered.
    Just another part of Amazing Thailand.

Sent from my Hi9Air using Tapatalk
    Rockitt, Ian Forbes and Tingtong like this.

That is a priceless story, Buksida. 5555

I can just imagine the comments he must have received from the traveling ladies. 555

But, like a friend told me once, you get slapped lots of times, but you get enough "action" to make it worth while.

Sounds like a couple scumbag expats that give all of us a bad name

Absolutely disgusting behavior and wish you guys propositioned the wrong girl and got the snot beat out of you

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    That is a priceless story, Buksida. 5555

I can just imagine the comments he must have received from the traveling ladies. 555

But, like a friend told me once, you get slapped lots of times, but you get enough "action" to make it worth while.
    People give me shit for giving you shit

But this right here encapsulates everything I say

The fact you think this is a "priceless story" says exactly how you look at the country
    As a place that can be used for your selfish reasons

The fact you think its ok for two scumbag expats to go propositioning every day females on a train shows your exact level of respect you have for Thais

The section of track between Nakhon Lampang and Chiang Mai is perhaps the best I've seen in Thailand. Some high viaducts through the forest and some pretty, well kept stations. And also the Khun Tan tunnel. But on a world scale, it nothing special.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    People give me shit for giving you shit

But this right here encapsulates everything I say

The fact you think this is a "priceless story" says exactly how you look at the country
    As a place that can be used for your selfish reasons

The fact you think its ok for two scumbag expats to go propositioning every day females on a train shows your exact level of respect you have for Thais
    I didn't say I agreed with it. I said it was funny... which it was. No way I would ever do anything like that, or aprove of it. The guys were intoxicated, and intoxicated men do stupid things. Young intoxicated men even more so. It was the train Guard that did all the propositioning, not the two drunks.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast