Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: Train travel expert.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Me and the ex went on the Orient Express once for the Mrs birthday...but before anyone gets too excited it was only for breakfast (which was bloody fabulous..champagne and the whole works)..we started out at Victoria Station in London and ended up in Folkstone about 2 and a half hours later...where we took a chauffered vintage Roller back to our hotel in London...

we didn't actually have a room/sleeping berth but we had a good look around and then got a fair bit of our cash back in bubbles...it was free flowing for most of the trip...

I don't think I'd like tom spend the whole journey to Venice on it..cramped, hot and icky sticky with no showers (just a wash basin) iirc..
    Bacon likes this.

I would imagine these more famous rail tours can be a bit on the expensive side. My trainspotter friend does more low keyed private tours around Europe. Once a years he does one through Germany and there is even a disco coach included in the set. I have visions of all these spotters drinking and dancing together with their bobble hats and anoraks on.555
    Quarky and Bacon like this.

^ 55..can just imagine..

not sure of how much this breakfast trip cost..it was a birthday gift to her/us from a good and wealthy friend of ours...

I like the idea of these mutatu party buses in Kenya....maybe not the actuality so much...555

Rockitt likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    Any one else been watching the SBS Specials on the Ghan , The Indian Pacific and the Train / Ferry / Train trip In New Zealand North to South . Great Series .

I nearly watched the Whole 16 (?) Hours of the Ghan in one sitting , I find It very soothing 5555

The Indian Pacific was good as well but I like the NZ trip the best, as it gives a good look at NZ from another perspective .

I dont think ill be going on the Ghan any time soon as its about $4,000 Aud ....bloody hell . The NZ is better value @ $200 per trip .

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    ^ started watching the Ghan one but it was getting a bit monotonous 55 have seen that country for days on end while driving it anyway.

however......

the one with the Kimberley coast cruise...the whole fkn thing,was awesome...loved it.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    ^ Oh yeah , i forgot about the Kimberly Coast Cruise ...That was great also .

Thailand to Cambodia rail link starting soon. A connection to Phnom Penh via the Western rail line opening in March.
    https://www.khmertimeskh.com/5056849...lace-in-march/

I’m hoping to do the journey from Bangkok to Pattaya by train next month. It’s a slow service stopping at many places along the way but I’ve got plenty of time and I am a glutton for punishment 555.
    Anybody done this trip before? Is there a baht bus service from the station into central Pattaya?
    Quarky likes this.

Is it an overnighter? ..55
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

^ sounds like a way to turn a ST into an LT....which is quite ironic considering the destination...where the reverse is more the norm..
    Rockitt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarky View Post
    Is it an overnighter? ..55
    It’s daytime. 7am from Bangkok arriving about 10.30am. That’s if there are no problems 555
    There is a quicker one that leaves at 6.45 but it doesn’t stop at all 27 stations.
    Last edited by Rockitt; 27th February 2019 at 03:24.
    Quarky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    ^ sounds like a way to turn a ST into an LT....which is quite ironic considering the destination...where the reverse is more the norm..
    Yeh, just think of it this way. The extra time is free 555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Buy a chicken and carry it with you on the way for authenticity.
    Quarky, Rockitt and Tingtong like this.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

I got up early this morning and caught the SRT train from Asoke to Pattaya. It arrived 10 minutes late at Asoke but made up the time to arrive in Pattaya at 10.35am. It was quite busy until we cleared Bangkok and by the time we got to Chachoengsao Junction I practically had the coach to myself. It took just over 3 hours and cost me 31 baht. The Baht bus from the station dropped me outside my hotel in Soi Diane for 50bht and I was checked in by 11.15.
    A good journey passing close to the airport and also seeing the so called Grand Canyon. Will definitely do it again.
    Quarky, Rivo and bacwaan like this.

Sounds pleasant. No hairy taxi ride either. How far is the station in Pattaya away from soi Diana?

It’s not far from the main highway that joins Sukhumvit on the approach to Pattaya. Very easy but too far to walk. I would have taken a motorcycle taxi but I had a large case with me.
    Quarky likes this.

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    31 Baht 555.....................Did you take any pics of the train trip Rockitt ?
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

A couple of short vids but I haven’t worked out how to post from my mobile.
    Having worked on the railways I do enjoy the old fashioned practices the Thais use. Plus the old rolling stock. The locomotive today was from the mid 60s but it did the job .

My train approaches Asoke.
    Well that didn’t work
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rockitt; 12th March 2019 at 19:50.

I wonder... maybe you could live on that train... a whole carriage to yourself... back and forth between Bangkok and Pattaya... get off now and then to get food... and drink... could you use the same ticket I wonder... 55

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast