My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    Similar to this one?

Aviation Stuff
    Same story , didn't see it

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    Same story , didn't see it
    That's the problem.. they do it when no one is looking...
    Stillearly likes this.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    It explains why it takes so long for the luggage to reach the belt...

Maybe the customs are in the scheme to delay passenger to get to the belt?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    It explains why it takes so long for the luggage to reach the belt...

Maybe the customs are in the scheme to delay passenger to get to the belt?
    Customs seldom, if ever, delay you in Phuket.
    Immigration often do, but of course that is a completely different department.
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    Customs seldom, if ever, delay you in Phuket.
    Immigration often do, but of course that is a completely different department.
    baz they have been excellent on my last 2 trips....plenty of immigration on duty at phuket..and 2 even smiled at me 555555555....but then i dont need a visa

PGC
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PGC's Avatar
    Why anyone travels without a lock on their case is beyond me. Mind you having seen the luggage transit the automated system at Manchester Airport, and seen the thumping luggage gets as the system moves your bags round. Why anyone travels with Soft luggage is also beyond me.
    Quarky and PeteGill like this.

Quote Originally Posted by PGC View Post
    Why anyone travels without a lock on their case is beyond me. Mind you having seen the luggage transit the automated system at Manchester Airport, and seen the thumping luggage gets as the system moves your bags round. Why anyone travels with Soft luggage is also beyond me.
    Stats show soft suitcases last longer and offer more protection than hard cases. A hard case looks great and if used correctly can be ok until a rabid baggage handler throws it around ... they slide easily and will fall hard, usually ramming wheels up inside the outer shell. Hard case carry on is ok.

My one and only large YELLOW hard case was an INDEX freebie and initially suffered badly, though I now use it more wisely .... covered in FRAGILE stickers from a half dozen airlines it gets special treatment. I can usually spot it being loaded/unloaded, it's bright yellow after-all, and all those stickers must surely intimidate ... 555

My secret is to enclose a styrene box inside, all goodies incl wines, cheeses and meats go inside that with clothes packed around the outside... 29.7kg last return via BNE, SIN, BKK and CNX ... all arrived in perfect order and still well chilled after ~20hrs.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Stats show soft suitcases last longer and offer more protection than hard cases. A hard case looks great and if used correctly can be ok until a rabid baggage handler throws it around ... they slide easily and will fall hard, usually ramming wheels up inside the outer shell. Hard case carry on is ok.

My one and only large YELLOW hard case was an INDEX freebie and initially suffered badly, though I now use it more wisely .... covered in FRAGILE stickers from a half dozen airlines it gets special treatment. I can usually spot it being loaded/unloaded, it's bright yellow after-all, and all those stickers must surely intimidate ... 555

My secret is to enclose a styrene box inside, all goodies incl wines, cheeses and meats go inside that with clothes packed around the outside... 29.7kg last return via BNE, SIN, BKK and CNX ... all arrived in perfect order and still well chilled after ~20hrs.
    My secret is don't take shit with you and don't bring anything back 555
    Quarky and Ian Forbes like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    My secret is don't take shit with you and don't bring anything back 555
    Mine - carry-on only, no check-in luggage since NZ to Thailand 2009 when I brought a bike over
    Travel light; most recent trip was heaviest of recent times, included 3kg of chocolate
    briofoz likes this.

PGC
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PGC's Avatar

Not that I should doubt your obvious expertise in all things flying..........But how does a soft bag offer more protection than a hard bag..... Love to see those stats....

Quote Originally Posted by PGC View Post
    Not that I should doubt your obvious expertise in all things flying..........But how does a soft bag offer more protection than a hard bag..... Love to see those stats....
    IIRC it was a travel magazine review of baggage longevity and handling ... soft cases, correctly packed, are more resilient and last many years more on a value for money basis. The fact that their surface offers more friction means they will not slide off baggage trolleys whereas hard cases often do. I've often witnessed handlers throwing cases atop the trolley only to see a hard case slide straight over and hit the ground hard. It's the corners and wheels which get damaged in that way + zippers on cheap hard cases often fail.

This wasn't the statistical piece but it's close to the mark. Hardside vs. Softside Luggage – A Hard Case of Preference

I usually select from a hard or soft case and type of cabin bag depending on the trip. I will often travel with carry on only, first out the door upon arrival, and I need no more that 7kg for a 2 week visit holiday. Jo and I can both live out of one carry-on for a long weekend. But given a 30kg allowance and a NZ/Aus visit .... why not return with loads of goodies.

I never lock my cases as TSA locks are easily opened or zips cut with a knife so why make your luggage look valuable with additional padlocks or cling wrapping.
    PGC and Ian Forbes like this.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    I got plenty of clothes and sh1t at my house there now and besides the hassle of lugging check in around i save $150 on the AirAsia ticket without it.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Rockitt's Avatar
    I have a mid-size soft suitcase which I have had for many years. It always goes into the hold due to its size. I’ve never had any back experiences with it but I hate having to wait to collect it.
    I don’t really understand the rules about cabin baggage ie, one bag of a certain size. Especially when I see people regularly carrying on large rucksacks or more than one item of baggage. Does anybody enforce these cabin baggage rules these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Rockitt View Post
    I have a mid-size soft suitcase which I have had for many years. It always goes into the hold due to its size. I’ve never had any back experiences with it but I hate having to wait to collect it.
    I don’t really understand the rules about cabin baggage ie, one bag of a certain size. Especially when I see people regularly carrying on large rucksacks or more than one item of baggage. Does anybody enforce these cabin baggage rules these days?
    Some Airlines rigorously enforce while others ignore carry-on restrictions. It's very hit and miss but I too see almost every airline permitting massive rucksacks to enter the cabin. Usually well over the (airlines own) regulation limits I often wonder why cabin crew persevere with the practice whilst also assisting to lift and push, squeeze and maneuver them into overhead lockers.
    Soupdragon and Tingtong like this.
    Cheers, Rob.

Some Airlines rigorously enforce while others ignore carry-on restrictions. It's very hit and miss but I too see almost every airline permitting massive rucksacks to enter the cabin. Usually well over the (airlines own) regulation limits I often wonder why cabin crew persevere with the practice whilst also assisting to lift and push, squeeze and maneuver them into overhead lockers.
    These cunning backpackers know to board at the last minute - too late to be sent to check the bag in.
    I like when they're told to put it under the seat in front (which they obviously can't) and they have to sit with their feet on it and knees under their chin 555!
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!

Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    These cunning backpackers know to board at the last minute - too late to be sent to check the bag in.
    I like when they're told to put it under the seat in front (which they obviously can't) and they have to sit with their feet on it and knees under their chin 555!
    Funny how it's always rednecks in chang pants/wifebeater and flip flops. Perhaps they avoid showing the ruck at check-in? Cabin crew have the option to send them to the hold same as with push-chairs, via the air-bridge stairs, last minute.
    Cheers, Rob.

Funny how it's always rednecks in chang pants/wifebeater and flip flops. Perhaps they avoid showing the ruck at check-in? Cabin crew have the option to send them to the hold same as with push-chairs, via the air-bridge stairs, last minute.
    Sometimes - but then the free loaders would have to pay and the ensuing argument would delay take-off.
    kaptainrob likes this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Rockitt's Avatar
    [QUOTE=kaptainrob;343547]
    I will often travel with carry on only, first out the door upon arrival, and I need no more that 7kg for a 2 week visit holiday. Jo and I can both live out of one carry-on for a long weekend. But given a 30kg allowance and a NZ/Aus visit .... why not return with loads of goodies.

.[QUOTE]

I really need to train myself to reduce the weight of my baggage. I always find I am in the 13 or 14kg zone. If I can reduce the weight then I can reduce to size of the bag to a carry on size.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast