The best and friendliest guesthouse in Patong.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Moo Uaon

Thread: Going backpacking in Thailand

Going backpacking in Thailand

Iím going to Thailand this summer for a backpacking trip. I want to explore new things and new places. I just had my early retirement and I want to spend spend some of it on travelling. I need tips about backpacking in the city. Can anyone suggest an estimated budget guide? I would appreciate recommendations for the itinerary too.

A friend of mine who joined an Asian matchmaking tour gave me some ideas where to go. I would appreciate it if you could give me more. Do you know which restaurants I should visit too? Iím still finalizing my plans so all ideas are welcome. Thanks again you guys. Your comments will really help me

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    it all depends on what you're into? beaches,mountains,concrete jungle,rice farms or the lot?
    it'd be good if you had some sort of idea what you want to see and do....snorkeling,mountain trekking etc
    plenty of cheap accommodation and restaurants even in the "expensive" places like phuket. lonely planet type stuff might be a good help for you.
    something for everyone in LOS

wwtb
    Distantpeak likes this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Looking forward to both the beaches and the rice farms! Can't see that much here where I'm from. Thanks for replying!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    phuket and koh samui for beaches if you like crowds.
    somewhere like koh phayam if you can do without them.
    CM and the north for white water,mountain trekking,temples,elephants. a train ride BKK>Ching Mai is good fun and a great way to meet young female euro,aussie, and US/canadian backpackers.
    BKK for the concrete jungle experience and shopping although the markets anywhere can be fairly cheap.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Cadet Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by imyoung View Post
    Iím going to Thailand this summer for a backpacking trip. I want to explore new things and new places. I just had my early retirement and I want to spend spend some of it on travelling. I need tips about backpacking in the city.
    Nobody informed me that Thailand has been redesignated as a "city", from its former "country" status.

Do you mean Bangkok? Is it only Bangkok you plan to visit on your travels, rather than Thailand as a whole?

If so, it's a huge sprawling place which (possibly because it's located on marshland, I'm given to understand), tends to build more outward than upward.

As with any city, much is residential and of little interest or compatibility towards the foreign traveller.

Hotels and transient accommodation abound but most are located in proximity to each other with the main areas being Khao San Road & Silom or lower Sukhumvit. The former seemingly catering to younger "backpacker" travellers and the latter patronised by am older traveller (such as myself) but neither is exclusive at all and you will be welcome and comfortable in either and/or both.

Intended duration of stay will ultimately help you decide upon accommodation type and if you plan to journey outside of Bangkok, an idea of what you intend to get from your stay, as Moo Uaon said, will help others here help you further.

Whatever you intend, don't make TOO many advanced plans as such have a habit of being torn up - once you arrive. LOL

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Welcome Imyoung. How young are you, you said early retirement?

If you stay at back packers, out of tourist places, away from sexy girls, you could do it really cheap.

One of the members Sydney his sons recently did a back packers trip he may be able to help more.

Personally I find the north end of Thailand cheaper like Chiang mai and up to Mae Sai. Plenty to do up in the north.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by imyoung View Post
    A friend of mine who joined an Asian matchmaking tour
    Is this one of those tours you go on to see lost trades/forgotten arts type of thing?

I guess the Lighter would have killed off most of the industry.....