The best and friendliest guesthouse in Patong.

Like Tree12Likes
  • 2 Post By Hatari
  • 2 Post By 1080
  • 1 Post By briofoz
  • 1 Post By Buksida
  • 3 Post By Nomad
  • 3 Post By Hatari

Thread: Suvarnabhumi - Car rental

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Hatari's Avatar

Suvarnabhumi - Car rental

Around October I'll be hiring a car at Suvarnabhumi, collecting 3 adults for a small road trip, to Rayong, Chanthaburi, north to Sa Kaeo and possibly on to Buriram for MotoGP 4 Nov if plans allow, then back to Chanthaburi, return car to airport, over total 10-12 days

Maybe 1500km+ all-up. GPS essential.

Looked at rental sites, while a little more expensive I'm going towards Avis, Budget, Hertz unless someone can recommend a good local company; I want full insurance cover, no potentially dodgy private vehicle hires.

While back we hired a Nissan pickup, second time from same owner; when he was bringing it out to the front of the building the auto trans locked up; didn't have anything else available so cancelled that hire. Had thoughts of the jetski scams - if auto had died while I'd been driving (apart from possible accident, and spoilt holiday) sure it would have been all my fault ... lesson learned there no more cheap hires.

There's no reputable hire company in Chanthaburi, just used car dealers who may hire out a vehicle from their for sale stock, too risky in terms of breakdown, insurance etc

Welcome your advice. Thinking Camry or similar size.

As I can't renew my Thai licence will be on NZ + IDP

We could borrow a vehicle from MsH's work ... this one would have some appeal in traffic apart from speed, lack of passenger comfort

PeteGill and obes like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    ^ Room for 4 people in the Bucket 555

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน 1080's Avatar
    I have rented from Hertz many times, never a problem. Pick up at airport but you have to drop off down near the Shell servo in the transport area of the airport prescient. Hertz will then ferry you to Swampy. Paragon is the trading name. not bad rates.
    If you have Google and a half smart phone forget the GPS. Moto Gp in Buriram is Oct 7.

Look for Hertz Thailand, Paragon car Rental in your search, get in early and you also get a discount for upfront payment. As I said, never a problem over the years I have dealt with them, touch wood. Insurance, unlimited KM and good service.

Just read the fine print....
    Minder and Hatari like this.

^ thanks. I'll book as soon as dates confirmed.
    Got my dates wrong, confused the two, early October we can do Buriram, if late I'll be off to Sepang with MsH (she goes shopping) that's the one on 4 Nov

Did get a response from a Chanthaburi place, wanted 1200b a day for a Vios ... No chance!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน briofoz's Avatar
    Not from Swampy, but did try and rent an old Camry from SIXT in Chiang Mai. Didnt have a Credit Card, so deal fell through. But it was a very good price. Next in Chiang Mai was a Vios from Thai Rental with one way drop off in Chiang Rai. I got the best deal by going through rentalcars.com.
    Hatari likes this.

Cadet silver
    There is free Thailand based app for phones called "Rent a Car Club" sponsored by Thai Viriyah Insurance. It is something like AirBnB but for cars. It will show rental cars available in your area. I am passing through Bangkok at the moment and the 2017 model Ferrari 488 Spyder at 149,000 baht per day makes the Bentley Flying Spur at 69,000 look like a snap.

Of course for the financially disadvantaged among us, there are Honda Citys and similar at 500 baht per day.
    Hatari likes this.

I've rented from Avis a few times and it was fine. That was a few years ago

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    Just arranged a rental with Hertz. Price via Australian website then call centre, just over 13,000 THB. Price via Hertz Thailand website ~7,300 baht!
    Distantpeak, 1080 and Hatari like this.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

^ thanks - I'll do the same, have dates confirmed now for May/June and signed up to the car rental site; Hertz looks the best deal for what we require.
    Did that include full insurance cover?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
    ^ thanks - I'll do the same, have dates confirmed now for May/June and signed up to the car rental site; Hertz looks the best deal for what we require.
    I'm telling you

Take a look at rental cars.com

They have all the major companies and they have full insurance options that come in cheaper than the companies website when adding full insurance

And I've had accidents twice and just handed the car in at the end with zero issue or money needed

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    I'm telling you

They have all the major companies and they have full insurance options that come in cheaper than the companies website when adding full insurance

And I've had accidents twice and just handed the car in at the end with zero issue or money needed
    They were far more expensive for NZ rentals. I noticed their vehicles did not match up with actual fleets either so I went direct to Thrifty and booked a car without needing to pay a deposit and got a new Nissan Qashqai. renta cars.com were also more expensive for insurance. So it pays to shop around.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    They were far more expensive for NZ rentals. I noticed their vehicles did not match up with actual fleets either so I went direct to Thrifty and booked a car without needing to pay a deposit and got a new Nissan Qashqai. renta cars.com were also more expensive for insurance. So it pays to shop around.
    Of course
    Sometimes it seems there is not one set way

Especially in different countries

Usually you'd want to stick to the major companies

Well in Cancun that we are flying into in June
    It's the opposite
    The major companies are all scam artisists and the expats recommend the local places

And the place I booked with was fantastic to deal with

• Insurances and Waivers
    a) Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) is included in all Hertz Thailand rates. A non – waiverable excess of THB 2,000 – 10,000 (excluded 7% VAT) will be applied for all car groups in the event of damage to the vehicle.
    b) Super Collision Damage Waiver (SCDW), covers on the rental vehicle with fixed excess amount of ZERO THB in the event of damage from accident. (If accepted)
    c) Fixed excess amount of THB 30,000 in the event of total loss from accident to rental vehicle.
    d) If you do not purchase TP, all rentals are subject to a non – waiverable excess for which you are responsible in the event of loss for THB 30,000
    My travel insurance covers the excess.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    I'm telling you

I think I have used them 3 times now, and each time they subbed the deal to Hertz. I started there, but didn't like the user interface on the site. I needed to open each BKK location to look for what I was after. Didn't seem to have a filter, and M26ADD set in so
    I moved on. Opened the Hertz site and knew it was a very good price.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    I think I have used them 3 times now, and each time they subbed the deal to Hertz. I started there, but didn't like the user interface on the site. I needed to open each BKK location to look for what I was after. Didn't seem to have a filter, and M26ADD set in so
    I moved on. Opened the Hertz site and knew it was a very good price.
    Really

I put in the search and it has each offer one by one with the Rental company on it
    It then tells you what is offered like full insurance and total price

I chose Budget; excellent service - out of arrivals gate and there's the lineup of car rental booths, forms were all prefilled just had to sign and show passport, IDP and NZ licence; car was ready just outside the nearest door, one more form to sign confirm fuel tank full, and away, used my phone maps, within 20 minutes of exiting immigration I was driving south, only one minor error I couldn't get across 4 lanes and missed one exit, added just a few km till next one.

Returning, had been given number to call as soon as i turned off highway towards Suvarnabhumi, they knew the flight I was leaving on and a Budget man waiting at the nearest entrance to where I was to check in. Quick visual check, fuel, and that was it.

I'll use them again, efficient, convenient, Qantas airports too.

I chose Budget; excellent service - out of arrivals gate and there's the lineup of car rental booths, forms were all prefilled just had to sign and show passport, IDP and NZ licence; car was ready just outside the nearest door, one more form to sign confirm fuel tank full, and away, used my phone maps, within 20 minutes of exiting immigration I was driving south, only one minor error I couldn't get across 4 lanes and missed one exit, added just a few km till next one.

Returning, had been given number to call as soon as i turned off highway towards Suvarnabhumi, they knew the flight I was leaving on and a Budget man waiting at the nearest entrance to where I was to check in. Quick visual check, fuel, and that was it.

I'll use them again, efficient, convenient, Qantas airports too.
    Yes picking up at BKK was extremely easy

Something weird when I rented in Mexico
    Everyone on TR said the big main Car Rental shops like Budget/Avis always try and rip you off and the small local places are the best ones

I rented from a small place. Shuttle took me to a building no bigger than an outhouse
    And they were tremendous from when I booked on email to changes I made, collecting and returning

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    You don't have a Thai Drivers License Hatari ?

Nice looking Honda.............can you tell us how many baht per day ?
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

^ car and motorbike licences expired and due to my transient no-visa nature at the time they ran out - contracting in NZ, I was not permitted to renew, never bothered since

Cost a little under 1000b a day. Car was a good drive, four people with luggage, comfortable ride

Could have saved a few baht using another company but took Budget on a friend's recommendation, service was superb, being met at my departure gate not theirs was a nice touch.
    About 15 minutes later the Budget guy found me in the check-in queue - I'd left an asthma inhaler in the car and he'd made the effort to find me to return it
    Distantpeak, Rivo and Ian Forbes like this.