Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By chelski
  • 1 Post By OZZYGUY
  • 2 Post By kaptainrob
  • 1 Post By YankeeDK
  • 1 Post By Tingtong

Thread: Air BnB Short Term Rentals Illegal in Thailand ....

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar

Air BnB Short Term Rentals Illegal in Thailand ....

https://pattayaone.news/en/thai-cour...weekly-rental/

A court in Hua Hin has effectively decided that people who rent out their rooms via AirBnB on a daily and weekly basis are acting illegally.

A letter was sent to the Wan Vayla condominium complex in Khao Tao from the local authority outlining the courtís decision in two of three cases where condominiums were rented out for less than a month.

In one case a fine of 5,000 baht must be paid and 500 baht per for each of twenty days totaling 15,000 baht.

In the second case a 5,000 baht fine must also be paid with further fines of 100 baht for an 81 day period.

A third case is pending.,

The local authority looked into the matter in December of last year and went to court.
    The ruling could effectively be the beginning of the end for companies like AirBnB in Thailand who have consistently said that what they are offering in the kingdom is legal.

Itís noted that the company have carried out training and award giving seminars on a regular basis in Thailand and there are thousands of people offering their rooms for rent throughout the country.

AirBnB actively promote their business in Thailand and the consequences from the ruling could be immense for the company, renters and consumers alike.

The court ruled that people renting out their rooms on a daily and weekly basis contravened regulations surrounding hotels.

Rentals of 30 days and more would be legal.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน chelski's Avatar
    Will be interesting to see what happens here in Australia, as there has been some negative reporting in AirBnB rentals here over the last few weeks
    Tingtong likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chelski View Post
    Will be interesting to see what happens here in Australia, as there has been some negative reporting in AirBnB rentals here over the last few weeks

I have a place I rent on AirBB in Aust, but that’s only one site of many. Majority of my bookings come from booking.com
    If they stop AirBB what about the other websites.

It’s a bit like how they try to stop Uber, its competition and that’s a good thing IMO.
    PeteGill likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    I have a place I rent on AirBB in Aust, but that’s only one site of many. Majority of my bookings come from booking.com
    If they stop AirBB what about the other websites.

It’s a bit like how they try to stop Uber, its competition and that’s a good thing IMO.
    Depends on ones POV, for Thai hotel owners it's unfair competition from a 100% unregulated source. And given the low price of hotel accomodation in Thailand it's grossly unfair when foreign owners capitalise on vacant private property. Plenty of Airbnb operators are evading tax [not that I'm against that in principle 55] but they also add burden to local communities as is happening in Queenstown NZ.

We have a German expat living about 1km from us, opposite a 14m baht property recently purchased by Chinese. Willi complains of the comings and goings of seemingly Airbnb customers who party late, splash around in the pool and otherwise create noise in a our quiet mooban. They throw rubbish out on vacant land next door. I'm sure Willi will dob them in.
    Ian Forbes and OZZYGUY like this.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Cadet Gold
    That's not really new. The last 2 apartments I rented on Airbnb in Thailand had posters in the elevator about short term rentals being illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Depends on ones POV, for Thai hotel owners it's unfair competition from a 100% unregulated source. And given the low price of hotel accomodation in Thailand it's grossly unfair when foreign owners capitalise on vacant private property. Plenty of Airbnb operators are evading tax [not that I'm against that in principle 55] but they also add burden to local communities as is happening in Queenstown NZ.

We have a German expat living about 1km from us, opposite a 14m baht property recently purchased by Chinese. Willi complains of the comings and goings of seemingly Airbnb customers who party late, splash around in the pool and otherwise create noise in a our quiet mooban. They throw rubbish out on vacant land next door. I'm sure Willi will dob them in.
    That's not really about Airbnb. It's about assholes. Also I hate when companies complain about "unfair competition" to get the competition regulated. Fight for yourself to be unregulated in stead! But of course there is more profit in trying to push the competition out.
    PeteGill likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    Not Thailand But ,
    My Mate has a couple of Acres on the Coast here In the best part of Woolongong . He has set up a few 'Glamping' Tents on the property and made $50 k Last year . The suckers cant get enough of it , they pay more to stay in these tents than they would in Motel here .
    The tents have a nice double bed a Esky with Ice and comfy bedding but not much else . Im amazed at what people will pay for this .
    He uses AirBB Exclusively.
    OZZYGUY likes this.