The best and friendliest guesthouse in Patong.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: Trouble at 32000ft.

Cadet silver
    I was in Riyadh in '80 or '81 and the burnt out wreck was still sitting there. No idea why they didn't move it or bury it.

Platinum
    Quote Originally Posted by Buksida View Post
    I was in Riyadh in '80 or '81 and the burnt out wreck was still sitting there. No idea why they didn't move it or bury it.
    Yes - it was stuck there for years. They just didn’t care!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Quote Originally Posted by Cashpoint View Post
    Yes - it was stuck there for years. They just didn’t care!
    Kind of gives you a real confidence in there airlines going there, doesn't it. 555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    The wreck of the "One to Go " flight that crashed here in HKT was laying by the runway for quite a while as well.

Theres a little story I know that involves that flight.

An old English fellow ( well he was about 60 , and I was 48 - so he seemed 'old' to me ..) who I used to drink with at the Yorkshire when I was still holidaying here , and a friend of the 'guvner' there , Paul Gibson , was a cockney , and bit of a ducker and diver and he decided to go halves on a plan that he and the partner ( an Irish bloke iirc ) put to him.
    In those days , so around 2006 , the Tiger Complex had a very wide opening , and the Irish guy , understanding the Thai propensity to maximise profitability over and above all sense of decorum , approached Mr Tiger about plonking a bamboo bar like anyone can buy anywhere here , smack dab in the middle of the apron .
    Mr Tiger ( who is still around apparently ) 'a-greed-ibly agreed !

So a truck came by one lunch time and dropped off the new bar smack in the middle of the apron , and since that bamboo small bar was next to a support pole with a double power point , they were almost immediately in business. ( They had all their signage and staff ready )
    On the road , in one of the best spots on Bangla !

Now there were only 2 bars at the entrance to Tiger .
    One called 'Crazy Horse' that was akin to a Go Go, very 'wild', owned and frequented by Frenchies , and quite happy to hide a bit ( God knows I have still to deal with the hang over of what became of some of its staff ).
    The Frech owner arrived , looked at the new bar , shrugged , and went to his
    But the other one was a very long bar , 'womaned' ( as oppposed to 'manned 555 ) by lots of lovely girls dressed in small white and red tartaned 'school uniforms' . I think it was called 'Sharkeys Bar' and there was maybe 20 + girls there , and owned by a Canadian ( who I only saw once ).

When he arrived he was outraged !
    He stomped over to the Cockney , who had been a frequent customer of Sharkeys uptil then , asked if it was his bar and when he nodded , started laying into him.
    The cockney ( Im still trying to recall his name ) , ended up with a broken nose and 2 or 3 broken ribs .
    He said to the Canuk , "Now you are done. Everybody seen this and Im going for 3 million."
    Which turned out to be the minimum his lawyer was 'sure' he would get , so went for 5 mill.

All the above is true for me , I didnt see him beaten but was certainly friendly with the bgs at both bars that confirmed the above.
    I certainly saw him well beaten and bruised after the incident.
    Then flew back to Aus.
    But what i post now is what I heard as the upshot.

The Canuk had been round a while.
    He engages an expensive lawyer who is 'connected' , and manages to delay and delay so as get a known corruptible Lady Judge down from Bangkok.

All the 'fees' total near 2 million.
    She boards a plane , and that Flight , "269" crashes as it lands in Phuket. 89 of 120 dies.
    She dies - and with it all the Canuks money and promises.

The Cockney later moved to Kamala , so we caught up again at Black Cats Bar ( whatever its old name was ) and he asserted he got 3.1 million baht.
    The Canuk paid it ( as it is said the cops 'couldnt' take a bribe and let him trade on because of the notoriety of the case ) and traded on for another year then sold his bar..
    Of course that bar had to shut after the big fire at Tiger a few years later ...even though those front and lower bars were untouched..

Still cant remember that little cockneys name .. hes surely dead now from how much he drank. ( Paul Gibson from the Yorkshire , his best mate, had a heart attack and died whilst visiting his kids in the UK about a year later after this incident).
    Quarky, Rockitt and TLandHim like this.

Sounds like a bit of karma, Dean.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    Sounds like a bit of karma, Dean.
    If you knew the crew the Cockney moved around in, he was likely on the other side of a lot of beatings

So he probably wasn't an angel

Dunno if the same guy I knew when I stayed at the Yorkshire in early 2007? Slim guy, quite quiet... in his 50s at the time... I assumed was a business partner of Paul Gibson as was there every day... at the time they were discussing the expansion and renovation of the Yorkshire Inn... couldn't imagine him getting in a fight though... he seemed too refrained... certainly nothing like his mate Paul. But who knows... might be a different guy entirely... 55

Odd coincidence... I just now emailed a guy called Paul Gibson... 55
    Last edited by Quarky; 20th December 2018 at 02:37.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

But Ive been on some nasty flights.

The worst was on Royal Tonga Air from Apia ( Western Samoa ) to Vav'au , the most northern and tiny group of the archipeligo called Tonga.

When we got there the plane was this really old prop thing that sat 20 people.
    The flight was 2 hours late because nobody could seal the entry door.
    Pretty much everyone in that tin shed that worked there in what was called "The Departure Room" went out there and opened and slammed that door.
    It wouldnt seal.
    Since the flight wasnt full , they went and got a yellow boats survival life raft capsule and put it across the 3 back seats near the back door that WOULD seal.

The staff then sticky taped an A4 piece of paper on the raft that said , "DO NOT PULL the RED CORD until this raft is OUTSIDE the aircraft !!"

We all got aboard - thinking the worst...

Then the Tongan guy next to me , sitting in a lap lap ( sarong ) and nothing else and holding his cash and passport said , " You papalangi ( foreigner ) can read what them are writing?"

The flight flew low.
    The plane jolted and shuddered , but we got used to that ..
    It was still very cold.
    My Tongan mate had his lap lap over his shoulders by the end.
    He had tatooes right up his legs that almost looked like stockings.

He also had a big cock.
    My wife and daughter only looked over toward me once - with pale resigned , 'we are gonna die ' sad smiles.
    Then they focused , and looked left out of their window for the rest of the time...
    My 3 little kids on the few seats in front were like me , staring out the portholes in awe at this vast and empty saphire sea ... tiny lovely island groups that didnt even appear to have the line of a road on any one of them , suddenly appearing and disappearing again within minutes .
    (They had been toughened up after I had rented a 6 seater and screaming plane with a Kiwi girl pilot who looked about 16 between Upolo and Savaii before ).

And all the while , this deep blue and for ever vast blue off in the distance that had no end to it.

There are virtually no tourists at "The Port of Refuge" at Neifu in Vav'ua.
    Only yachties waiting for favourable winds between the USA and NZ/Aus.
    A vast distance to sail a small boat.

We were invited to a 'fia fia' ( a 'feast' on the beach that included eating sea urchins and all kinds of molluscs ) on the first day , with all these yachties that were just couples , looking in awe upon us 2 adults and 4 kids that arrived and assuming we were sailing across the Pacific!
    After a while they found out from the kids that we had flown in and declared the kids way braver than any one of the sailors amongst them.
    Some of the wives had enquired into the Air Tonga flights and concluded it was safer to sail there from NZ or the Galapagus Islands. 555
    Anyway , the next few days we were invited boat to boat for a look around .
    Nice people so missing the company of kids ...

Then the dreaded flight back ( which was non eventful as they had fixed the door ) , organised by a grey faced old Tongan gentleman with a Real grass skirt that dragged along the ground as he walked and I did note that the grass is way stiffer than I had imagined it would be , who reminded us that we would arrive a day EARLIER than when we departed. ( We crossed the International Date Line )

It is very disconcerting btw , arriving before you left.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    If you knew the crew the Cockney moved around in, he was likely on the other side of a lot of beatings

So he probably wasn't an angel
    Yes ... the Cockney was no angel.
    He didnt purport to be.
    He told us how he was a 'renovator' and all the shortcuts that went on in London by them through the boom in London through the 90's.
    His 'coup de grace' was his renovation of one of Londons leading hotels by 'thinning' the gold on their gold plated bathroom fittings .
    Like 'scooping ' kilos of gold' by him and the plater short changing the 5 star hotel...

Anyway , that crew of English blokes included Darren , who went on to own Thaipan. ( Maybe still does I think. He had a stunning and switched on businesswoman Thai wife , so maybe she 'owns' it now ...probably she always did ...555) I stayed at the Yorkshire when Paul Gibson was getting it going .. I had intended to stay at The Summer Breeze but it was full. Paul loved a glass of red , and so did I . Im convinced life is about timing , and his timing for a relaxing glass of good red was round 5pm ... so it happened I would come downstairs and order a red and he would be in his slow down mode and join me. He was trained as a Chef , and I recall the first coupla times he'd obviously seen my bill previous , and said that I could just pay the 100 baht for the crap wine and he would open a great bottle he had heard about and bought. He opened and poured me quite a few ...
    Next trip ( Im sure this is late 2006 ), like 2 months later while Im going thru this horrendous divorce and dont want to even live just down the street in one of our places. The grief is awful.
    I arrived back at the Yorkshire with 3 very good bottles of Hunter Valley Cabernets , and on check in say , "Just give to Mr Paul.''
    I felt I owed him at least that .
    2 hours later he called my room and thanked me for the wines , and invited me downstairs to ' try a few reds like we like to do and meet my very good mate Richard ..' Darren , the cockney and another coupla Londoners were there...
    Richard was a top bloke who worked in France and had somehow brought in a box of Bordeaux ...
    So we had a few wines ...555
    This is the night Ive already related on PI about Chaiyapum girls and how I went to the atm and came back with one who turned out to like "sadis!" ( rambling , sorry )

But I was there as "The Love Shack Bar" was put in , and he didnt scam anyone , him and the Irish bloke paid up Mr Tiger and did what the deal ( with paper ) said.
    TLandHim likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    Yes ... the Cockney was no angel.
    He didnt purport to be.
    He told us how he was a 'renovator' and all the shortcuts that went on in London by them through the boom in London through the 90's.
    His 'coup de grace' was his renovation of one of Londons leading hotels by 'thinning' the gold on their gold plated bathroom fittings .
    Like 'scooping ' kilos of gold' by him and the plater short changing the 5 star hotel...

Anyway , that crew of English blokes included Darren , who went on to own Thaipan. ( Maybe still does I think. He had a stunning and switched on businesswoman Thai wife , so maybe she 'owns' it now ...probably she always did ...555) I stayed at the Yorkshire when Paul Gibson was getting it going .. I had intended to stay at The Summer Breeze but it was full. Paul loved a glass of red , and so did I . Im convinced life is about timing , and his timing for a relaxing glass of good red was round 5pm ... so it happened I would come downstairs and order a red and he would be in his slow down mode and join me. He was trained as a Chef , and I recall the first coupla times he'd obviously seen my bill previous , and said that I could just pay the 100 baht for the crap wine and he would open a great bottle he had heard about and bought. He opened and poured me quite a few ...
    Next trip ( Im sure this is late 2006 ), like 2 months later while Im going thru this horrendous divorce and dont want to even live just down the street in one of our places. The grief is awful.
    I arrived back at the Yorkshire with 3 very good bottles of Hunter Valley Cabernets , and on check in say , "Just give to Mr Paul.''
    I felt I owed him at least that .
    2 hours later he called my room and thanked me for the wines , and invited me downstairs to ' try a few reds like we like to do and meet my very good mate Richard ..' Darren , the cockney and another coupla Londoners were there...
    Richard was a top bloke who worked in France and had somehow brought in a box of Bordeaux ...
    So we had a few wines ...555
    This is the night Ive already related on PI about Chaiyapum girls and how I went to the atm and came back with one who turned out to like "sadis!" ( rambling , sorry )

But I was there as "The Love Shack Bar" was put in , and he didnt scam anyone , him and the Irish bloke paid up Mr Tiger and did what the deal ( with paper ) said.
    Great story

I remember the tiki hut going up in a matter of hours
    And I remember thinking how pissed I would be if I was one of the other bars

Like I said, I am sure Cockney has been in more than a few of those tumbles and not always the one defeated

Just the crowd they ran in.
    Not saying bad guys but none were exactly Angel's

It be like me finally getting a boot in the head after one of my many confrontations and saying
    "Geez, I never thought that would happen to Paulie" 5555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    I used to drink at the Love Shack when it was owned by a Scottish guy and his Thai wife , although she ended up with it after a messy split

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    Dunno if the same guy I knew when I stayed at the Yorkshire in early 2007? Slim guy, quite quiet... in his 50s at the time... I assumed was a business partner of Paul Gibson as was there every day... at the time they were discussing the expansion and renovation of the Yorkshire Inn... couldn't imagine him getting in a fight though... he seemed too refrained... certainly nothing like his mate Paul. But who knows... might be a different guy entirely... 55

Odd coincidence... I just now emailed a guy called Paul Gibson... 55
    The slim guy was named Tony.
    I think employed simply to run daily stuff and to leave Paul to do the big reno.
    But there was another slim guy named Danny in 2007 , which was Pauls son... I think he was supposed to do that but his heart wasnt in Thailand.
    He was much younger and had his fingers a tad burnt by wild and gorgeous tgs while I was around.
    Hes happily married back in the UK now with a baby and I happy for him.

The reno included absorbing 'Thai Life' with the nice pool and fitness centre behind plus 20 rooms.
    They are nice rooms btw , and very close to 'the action'.
    Some ex Pi BMs I know stay there and are happy.

Some d/heads on PI wanted to paint Paul Gibson as a violent man and I dont believe that for one minute.
    I cant recall any of the details but the message he gave me was that some lady working for/with him was badly wronged and he sorted the bloke with his helmet as a backhander...
    Talk bad all you want , but if this action was 'unjust' ... go and sort the fcuken problem out on his doorstep pussy !
    None of them did ...of course ...snivel/whine....555

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    I used to drink at the Love Shack when it was owned by a Scottish guy and his Thai wife , although she ended up with it after a messy split
    Yes. coulda been a Scotsman.
    Like I said , I never met the other bloke .

But the bar did great ... for a while ...555

Some d/heads on PI wanted to paint Paul Gibson as a violent man and I dont believe that for one minute.
    I cant recall any of the details but the message he gave me was that some lady working for/with him was badly wronged and he sorted the bloke with his helmet as a backhander...
    Talk bad all you want , but if this action was 'unjust' ... go and sort the fcuken problem out on his doorstep pussy !
    That's why I could not even consider running/owning any place in Thailand that girls worked for me on a tourist area
    Wether it was a beer bar, non p4p bar or small hotel

Many farang owners have a sort of detachment
    That just isn't my personality
    If the girls worked for me (which I assume would be mostly through some connection with my wife) then I'd consider them like family

And with my hothead I would constantly be getting into it with some ass who treated them like shit
    Ian Forbes likes this.

Yes. coulda been a Scotsman.
    Like I said , I never met the other bloke .

But the bar did great ... for a while ...555
    I want to say they were the 1st bar that rolled out uniforms like that and then many followed suit???

By the way Ao's bar was one that followed with uniforms like that and their business sky rocketed on days they wore uniforms vs thier 2 casual days w/o unis

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    I want to say they were the 1st bar that rolled out uniforms like that and then many followed suit???

By the way Ao's bar was one that followed with uniforms like that and their business sky rocketed on days they wore uniforms vs thier 2 casual days w/o unis
    on my first trip in 1990 , there was a bar in Soi Dongtan , where all the girls were dressed as nurses ... The Clinic Bar , I became a regular

The slim guy was named Tony.
    I think employed simply to run daily stuff and to leave Paul to do the big reno.
    But there was another slim guy named Danny in 2007 , which was Pauls son... I think he was supposed to do that but his heart wasnt in Thailand.
    He was much younger and had his fingers a tad burnt by wild and gorgeous tgs while I was around.
    Hes happily married back in the UK now with a baby and I happy for him.

The reno included absorbing 'Thai Life' with the nice pool and fitness centre behind plus 20 rooms.
    They are nice rooms btw , and very close to 'the action'.
    Some ex Pi BMs I know stay there and are happy.

For some reason I thought the guy I met (he used to have a beer with me most days before I went out) was also called Paul. Is that possible? Another Paul? Pretty sure he was English. Was quite pleasant. Then again he may have been called Tony.. was a long time ago...

Paul Gibson told me he used to run a golf shop near where I lived in Leeds at the time... he was also always reasonable towards me.

Paul Gibson's wife was always pleasant to me as well. Even when I wasn't staying there she said I could use all their facilities. Good PR.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    on my first trip in 1990 , there was a bar in Soi Dongtan , where all the girls were dressed as nurses ... The Clinic Bar , I became a regular
    Did you keep feeling "ill" Ian? 5555

That's why I could not even consider running/owning any place in Thailand that girls worked for me on a tourist area
    Wether it was a beer bar, non p4p bar or small hotel

Many farang owners have a sort of detachment
    That just isn't my personality
    If the girls worked for me (which I assume would be mostly through some connection with my wife) then I'd consider them like family

And with my hothead I would constantly be getting into it with some ass who treated them like shit
    I would be the same. There are valid reasons why so many of the gals in bars and restaurants get hardened. There are too many men who act like assholes when they've had too much to drink. A couple of times just as a bystander I've stepped in between assholes and the ladies in a bar.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    I was so Naive (and drunk) first trip lt los , That Me and a mate Bar Fined 2 Girls from a Bar in Bangla where they dressed in School Girl Gear .When it was time to go back to the loom and the girls went away for a bit and when they came Back they had changed into their normal clothes . We looked at them and said who the fuck are you 2 ...We are waiting for some Lady's . It took a while for them to explain that they were same Lady's and had gone and got changed 5555.
    justcruzing1 likes this.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast