Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Results 1 to 17 of 17
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Scottie
  • 1 Post By kaptainrob
  • 1 Post By sidvicious

Thread: Flying Thai Lion Out of Perth

  1. #1
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน chelski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Perth
    Age
    64
    Posts
    1,998

    Flying Thai Lion Out of Perth

    Was just checking on some flights this morning and found that Thai Lion now fly out of Perth to various Asia places.
    Anyone had any experience on flying with them.
    The particular flights I checked were a good price, but could not work out how to pay for the baggage on the booking form so far.
    But will look again later, just interested on anyone's comments.

  2. #2
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    21,127
    Ao has flown them domestically and liked them

    But that may have no relevance to their Intl flights

  3. #3
    Cadet silver Scottie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    West Oz
    Age
    46
    Posts
    138
    Technically they already fly out of Perth to KL as Malindo is Part of the Indonesian Lion Air group.

    So you may book a Lion Air flight and get onto a Malindo plane.

    Regardless, I love cheap flights to Asia, regardless of who it is with.
    Cheers

    Scottie

  4. #4
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน chelski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Perth
    Age
    64
    Posts
    1,998
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
    Technically they already fly out of Perth to KL as Malindo is Part of the Indonesian Lion Air group.

    So you may book a Lion Air flight and get onto a Malindo plane.

    Regardless, I love cheap flights to Asia, regardless of who it is with.
    Ok thanks for that Scottie
    I am also with you on the cheap flights to Asia from Perth as well from Perth

  5. #5
    Platinum retdent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    530
    I have flown Thai Lion Air on many occassions internally in Thailand. The service is good, mostly are on time and have relatively new planes from what I can tell. Pricing is quite competitive.

    IIRC, they had one ditch into the sea near Singapore a year or two back???

  6. #6
    Frequent Flyer kaptainrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Lannaland
    Posts
    8,662
    Quote Originally Posted by retdent View Post
    I have flown Thai Lion Air on many occassions internally in Thailand. The service is good, mostly are on time and have relatively new planes from what I can tell. Pricing is quite competitive.

    IIRC, they had one ditch into the sea near Singapore a year or two back???
    We flew on one of their new 737 MAX's ... and survived! Their service is pretty good and I believe the flight crews are mainly Thai or Thai/Indo (often paired). I avoid all Indo flight crewed airlines.
    Last edited by kaptainrob; 18th April 2019 at 09:52.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

  7. #7
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน chelski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Perth
    Age
    64
    Posts
    1,998
    Quote Originally Posted by retdent View Post
    I have flown Thai Lion Air on many occassions internally in Thailand. The service is good, mostly are on time and have relatively new planes from what I can tell. Pricing is quite competitive.

    IIRC, they had one ditch into the sea near Singapore a year or two back???
    It was one of the Lion's new 737 MAX's that went down in the Java Sea after taking off from Jakarta

  8. #8
    Frequent Flyer kaptainrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Lannaland
    Posts
    8,662
    Quote Originally Posted by chelski View Post
    It was one of the Lion's new 737 MAX's that went down in the Java Sea after taking off from Jakarta
    Lion (Indonesia) have a terrible maintenance regime and poor management. Flight 610 was not their first aircraft to fly, and subsequently crash, in the face of shoddy maintenance. Years ago one had been grounded by government inspectors but put into service by management prior to repairs.

    Malindo is the malaysian arm of Lion whilst Thai Lion is .... Well it's obvious, innit. AFAIK both Malindo and Thai Lion are serviced at their respective hubs, KLIA2 and DMK, by better qualified personnel.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

  9. #9
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth, West Oz
    Age
    37
    Posts
    10,958
    Incidentally I found this on my feed this morning. Boeing basically tried to solve an engineering problem with software. One of the most irresponsible things I've seen done.

    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.


  10. #10
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    988
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    Incidentally I found this on my feed this morning. Boeing basically tried to solve an engineering problem with software. One of the most irresponsible things I've seen done.

    Interesting. Wonder what a pilot like Pablo would say about this?

  11. #11
    Frequent Flyer kaptainrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Lannaland
    Posts
    8,662
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    Incidentally I found this on my feed this morning. Boeing basically tried to solve an engineering problem with software. One of the most irresponsible things I've seen done.
    Irresponsible, unforgivable ... yes. Corporate greed similar to the VW emissions scandal partially influenced by US laws.

    > Boeing certifies it's own new models ... not the FAA .... Boeing!!! 787, 737-8/9, and the brand new 777X. Mmmh...

    >The 737 is based on a 50 year old design [certification] with a multitude of upgrades. Being such a popular aeroplane it makes sense to NOT re-engineer the design which would require a re-write of all rule books, retraining, new simulators etc. The 737's been a win win for airlines and pilots, until the MAX. The problem arose with the new engine which changed aerodynamics and software was the quick fix in lieu of a re-designed tail empennage which would have been very costly.

    > A large part of the 737's long term appeal to airlines has been it's low ground clearance, as noted in the video, but they didn't elaborate ... The low ground clearance allowed for roll-up stairs to be employed in any airport, anywhere, instead of an airbridge. Boeing couldn't just raise the main undercarriage to accommodate the MAX engines but they did lengthen the front wheel strut which helped a wee bit.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

  12. #12
    Cadet silver Scottie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    West Oz
    Age
    46
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    We flew on one of their new 737 MAX's ... and survived! Their service is pretty good and I believe the flight crews are mainly Thai or Thai/Indo (often paired). I avoid all Indo flight crewed airlines.
    I do not worry so much about who crews it, I am more concerned about who services it.
    Cuzzy and seven- like this.
    Cheers

    Scottie

  13. #13
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    เชียงใหม่
    Posts
    18,935
    ^ some pilot buddies have been flying with SE Asian companies for a decade plus and refuse to fly in planes piloted by Indo or PI pilots.
    They say their training and common sense is not up to sctatch...the'll do me.

    From 4.08 on this is real...

    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

  14. #14
    Frequent Flyer kaptainrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Lannaland
    Posts
    8,662
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    ^ some pilot buddies have been flying with SE Asian companies for a decade plus and refuse to fly in planes piloted by Indo or PI pilots.
    They say their training and common sense is not up to sctatch...the'll do me.

    From 4.08 on this is real...

    It may be a real crash video but ET302 it is not. B737's have 2 engines, not 4.
    Moo Uaon likes this.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

  15. #15
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    988
    ^ https://www.boomlive.in/video-claimi...m-afghanistan/

    Boeing 747 cargo plane apparently.
    kaptainrob likes this.

  16. #16
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cuzzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Ban Pao
    Posts
    2,299
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    It may be a real crash video but ET302 it is not. B737's have 2 engines, not 4.
    That vid has been around for a while
    Experts : People who know more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.

  17. #17
    Cadet silver Scottie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    West Oz
    Age
    46
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    It may be a real crash video but ET302 it is not. B737's have 2 engines, not 4.
    Well spotted, I never picked up on that
    Cheers

    Scottie

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •