Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: Four days in Bangkok

Foundation Member Platinum Annie's Avatar

Four days in Bangkok

Well I have decided on a brief TR about our time in BKK and Pattaya. We were initally booked for 8 nights in BKK but due to the heat and the fact we do like the nightlife we headed to the coast for half of our stay. The fact we enjoy the nightlife ment our energy levels for daytime trips left us exhausted. Still we had a lot of fun and enjoyed the contrast of both places we stayed. The city heat was very oppressive and it made getting around a very tiring experience.

We had researched a little about BKK (don’t forget I was expecting lots of rain!!) and had planned to do a few trips and some shopping. Well we did manage a few good trips and I think we got the feel of BKK, and had a great few adventures in just four days there.

We were staying in the Presidents Palace on Soi 11, and had a club suite booked. This gave us some extra benefits like free ****tails and drinks and snacks in the club level lounge and by the pool. Also two pieces of laundry daily as well as a dedicated check in/out desk. The room was very nice as you will see. (I will try to post a pic.)

We arrived mid afternoon after a direct flight from London and headed out to get a taxi. We avoided all the people offering taxi’s on the arrivals level and made our way down to the lower level of the airport. Here we got a taxi with no waiting around. We arrived at our hotel by about 16.15 and shown to our room. The taxi only cost 340 baht and we gave the driver 500 baht. He was very happy.

We quickly unpacked and headed out for a drink. Hillarys 3 is just across from this hotel and the staff were very nice here. We did have a drink or two several times there, either on our way out or back from somewhere.

Our first evening we wanted to see the nightlife so we headed to the Nana area. This was a ten minute easy walk from Soi 11. It was early so we had a wander and a drink in Hillary’s 1. This was also a bar we enjoyed the atmosphere on several occasions. Eventually the Nana go-go’s opened and we went to look in one or two. I enjoyed Spanky’s the most. It is not the most plush, but I like to feel comfortable and I thought the staff were friendly here. We also went into Angelwitch. The shows seemed very popular in this go-go, hence it was busier.

We found a nice restaurant on the main Nana Soi. I think it was called Charlies Kitchen. It was very clean and the thai food here was excellent.
    Well the night was still young and we were on UK time (6 hours behind) so we jumped in a taxi and headed to Soi Cowboy. Boy these taxi’s are cheap. We couldn’t believe how small Cowboy was. It all looks quite run down. We had a drink in Cowboy 2 and then headed home. Didn’t see much to keep us out till 5 oclock tonight. 555

So we got up early the next morning and we were heading out by 09.30. We decided to walk to MBK.
    When we were nearly there a Thai lady told us ‘ellything closed, Buddha day’. It appeared nothing would be open till 11.30. So we decided to get a taxi to the river. I expected to be able to walk along side the river, like you can The Thames. No you cannot.

The taxi takes us to a Pier (his friends I expect) and we look at the boat trip. We thought it was quite expensive but another couple from Indonesia were also looking so we all decided to go on a trip together. We paid 1000 baht per couple and a lady took us up the river on her long boat.
    The trip was excellent and well worth the money.

We saw lots of fun and interesting stuff. River crocs, massive fish, kids playing in the river as well as all the buildings that look like they could fall down at any given moment. We stopped off at Wat Arun Temple, this was beautiful, very soft and subtle colours, total contrast to the Grand Palace.

We asked the captain to drop us off at China town. Well this was a waste of time. The crowds of people (not tourists!) were unreal. We were just swept along in a sea of bodies. You cannot begin to describe the heat and sheer volume of people. China town was nothing like I expected at all. I think we arrived at the wrong time of day. You just can’t beat getting somewhere early. Oh well I am sure we missed most of the best stuff China Town has to offer!

We headed back to MBK in a taxi where we would grab some lunch. The food hall is great and you can eat very good Thai food here, just make sure you head to level 6 not 5!
    We headed back to our hotel using the skytrain. It was only 25 baht each and a great way to travel and very easy to navigate even for a girl!!!

We had a swim at our hotel and enjoyed a free ****tail before showering and heading out.

We thought Soi Cowboy was worth another look so we jumped in a taxi. Now taxi’s are cheap but sometimes you could walk the distance faster!! The traffic moves so slowly it’s quite amusing. At least it was cool in the taxi, we were paying for the aircon I guess!!! 555
    Anyway we arrive at Cowboy and everything is closed, and I mean everything.
    Oh yes of course it’s Buddha Day. Silly me I forgot!

So we wander to find a massage place we may have read about. We find Mango and EZ Massage. We didn’t head into either, not sure why, but the girl outside Mango didn’t look very friendly and EZ was not so inviting.

So we get the skytrain back to Nana. It’s still Buddha day so everything still closed. 555
    Only one thing for it, we spotted a massage place called Annies. We head in thinking, nothing else to do. The lady gave us a friendly greeting and we had drink followed by a very nice (soapy) massage.

Well this passed a bit of time for us, very nice it was too, and we so head back out to find Hillarys bar open. The staff were very friendly here and we enjoyed a few drinks before heading back towards our hotel.
    We stop on our way home at a roadside stall and sit and enjoy some good food, can’t remember what it was but I have photos of the veg and it looks good.

I will continue the rest later, tomorrow we visit Grand Palace. Beware tuk tuk drivers on the loose...

Picture 1: Our room on the 16th floor
    Picture 2: Erawan Shrine
    Picture 3: River trip
    Picture 4: Wat Arun Temple
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Annie; 28th May 2011 at 05:53.

Great feedback Annie. Glad you found Annies Massage... 555. I spent many a time there in years gone by. Interesting to read your thoughts about Soi Cowboy. I much prefer it to Nana. I find Nana very seedy and dirty feeling in comparison. Soi Cowboy almost feels family-friendly in comparison... 555. But yes, it's only about a 100m long. Did you go into Soi 23 at the end of Soi Cowboy? Turn left... and there are loads of great massage places down there.

Did you manage to see Soi 33 at all? I think of it as the up-market part of Sukhumvit. I like the feel of that Soi. Shame you didn't pop in to Mango. It;s like the Tardis! There are usually about 10 girls sitting in the main lounge... and a few hundred out the back... 555. Best to book someone there... as there can be a big discrepancy between girls.

Looking forward to your thoughts on Pattaya. It took me a few trips to feel at home in Pattaya. I used to prefer Patong... but i think I probably prefer Pattaya now.. just because it's bigger and has more variety - apart from poor beaches!

Is their an uncut version of this TR?
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Foundation member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน vanguy77's Avatar
    Thanks for the TR Annie! The boat trip sounded great, and I'm hoping to do that during my stay in BKK in July/August. Also planning to hit Wat Aurn as well, as the photos always look spectacular.

The heat is something I'm a bit concerned about as well. You come from a similar climate to mine, so I'll likely be smitten by the heat the same way you and your hubby were. I was there in November, which is the supposed cool season, and even then I found the heat in the city very oppressive. I'll be there in July this time, so trying even now to psychologically prepare myself for spending a few days in a populated oven! 555

Don't you love the Skytrain! I felt so at home riding it, as its almost exactly the same as the system they use here in Vancouver, only the voice of the Thai girl calling out the stations is sexier! 555

Keep up the great report!
    [SIZE="3"]"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."
    Mark Twain
    [/SIZE]

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Wow!!! that is one hell off a bed!!!!!

Thanks for putting fingers to keyboard, looking foward to the TR.

If an uncut version is your preference let me know (level 2 of course).

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar
    Great Read Annie, a shame about missing a lot because of Buddha Day. I think An Uncut version is needed. I am sure we could read it on PI but some people here are not longer members at PI.

Quote Originally Posted by G4orce View Post
    Great Read Annie, a shame about missing a lot because of Buddha Day. I think An Uncut version is needed. I am sure we could read it on PI but some people here are not longer members at PI.
    Hey G4 in the end it was a good job it was Buddah Day as it did 'force' us into Annie's. This was something I had wanted to do (first soapy massage) so it filled that gap very nice. All the go-go's were closed but by the end of the holiday we had seen plenty of those. We had also found a bar that was open after our massage, we had a great time there as it was so busy.
    In the end I did thank Buddah. 55555

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    Hey G4 in the end it was a good job it was Buddah Day as it did 'force' us into Annie's. This was something I had wanted to do (first soapy massage) so it filled that gap very nice. All the go-go's were closed but by the end of the holiday we had seen plenty of those. We had also found a bar that was open after our massage, we had a great time there as it was so busy.
    In the end I did thank Buddah. 55555
    As long as it did not ruin you day thats a good thing. By the sound of things, it only made it better for you. I am jealous of your Soapy experience, as i have not experienced it myself and not too sure if I will get the chance unless i can get Noy to do it 5555. i have just been told I am taking Noy's sister, husband out for a night on the town, but no go-gos allowed without the girls with us... Shoudl be gootd fun. Are there any bars down Nana or Cowboi that are just bars for a drink?

We didn't explore Cowboy that much but we enjoyed Hillary's bar in Nana. Also Bar 4 seems popular and we walked past Big Dogs too. Never went in there. Also had a drink in one or two other bars along that Soi. I did miss the bars in Patong a little, when you go, I think you will understand what I mean. Not long for you now
    Last edited by Annie; 29th May 2011 at 22:46.

Bangkok continued:

The next day we woke and got a taxi to Grand Palace. The driver dropped us outside the Palace where a tuk tuk driver asked us if we were ok.
    ‘Oh no’ he said, ‘Palace closed till 2 oclock, Buddha day, Thai people only’.
    Well he was very convincing. We believed him.
    He then offered to take us on a tour to see other temples nearby. This would only cost 40 baht and it he would bring us back when Grand Palace reopened to public (2pm).

We were almost about to go with him on his tour when he also suggested a visit to a silk factory for him to get his voucher. ‘No sorry’ I say, (I will never visit the shops/shows/farms they want you to see.)
    We will pay them extra to save us this inconvenience.
    Well this definitely saved us the inconvenience.
    As walked away from this tuk tuk driver only to have another tell us the very same story. Buddha day. Thai people only untill 2pm. Etc etc.

So we decide to ignore these men and explore a bit more ourselves. We come across the main entrance to the Grand Temple.

It WAS OPEN and always had been, they try to pull a scam with unsuspecting tourists and we nearly fell for it. We laughed about this every day after and is one of the great memories we have on BKK.
    These tuk tuk drivers are very clever so beware.I have never seen any mention of these scams before, they even offered to sell us the tickets for The Grand Palace. 350Baht each, how helpful of them!!!

Anyway we head into Grand Palace and it is simply stunning. The photo opportunities are great and we had an hour or so enjoying the Palace.

We leave Grand Palace and get a taxi to Central World shopping. We have lunch and stumble across a silk fashion show. The models are beautiful and hubby took some photos thinking the Thai King was in the audience. It was not him, but well we thought it was. (He was a good lookalike we thought!)

We leave this Mall and walk to Lumphini Park. It was very tranquil with lots of people jogging and enjoying the peace.
    The temperatures were soaring and my feet were on fire. The thought of walking back to our hotel was painful so we jumped in a taxi.
    This taxi ride was amusing as it took us 40 minutes to drive what we could have walked in 20. In fairness I think some roads were closed though.

We arrive back at our hotel and chill for an hour or so before we get ready to hit Nana again. No rest for the wicked.
    We have a fun evening out in Nana Plaza. We enjoy Spankys again and also Rainbow 4.
    The biggest surprise for me was the fact that all the bars and go-go’s close at 2am. We headed back towards our hotel and stop at a bar that has been set up along side the road. We called it ‘Bar no name’. The rows and rows of bars and food stalls line the street under the skytrain. Here you can carry on drinking untill all hours. We got chatting to a nice girl who was great fun. Good choice, glad we stopped here for a last drink, very friendly bar.
    Got back to our hotel at about 4am, very full day I think.

Bit more BKKto follow
    Last edited by Annie; 30th May 2011 at 03:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    If an uncut version is your preference let me know (level 2 of course).
    Definitely required. Just read it over there... and we need it here. ;-)
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    Definitely required. Just read it over there... and we need it here. ;-)
    OK copied it over here, level 2. Perhaps now you can see why I was exhausted. We tried to be up and out each day and still enjoy the night time fun... We have come home for a rest that for sure. But I am rested now and wish we could go back for another round...

I refuse to use a Tuk Tuk driver in Phuket of Bangkok now unless Noy knows him. I stick to Taxi-meter, that way there is less chance of being stuffed around