Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: Travel Scams In Thailand/Asia Still Alive And Well

Travel Scams In Thailand/Asia Still Alive And Well

Travel is such a marvellous thing and to open my eyes and learn the cultures and traditions of another people is of great interest to me. However whether a traveller or a tourist the one thing that must be paramount when travelling is keeping yourself and your valuables safe from travel scams. Today I relay a travel story of my own from way back and 5 top tips.

Travel Scam Asia Story And 5 Top Tips engagingthailandtips Blog

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    Another good read Giggsy.... got my wallet picked while walking through Suvarnaboom before I had even entered through Immigration... It was a couple of days of pain while I waited for an emergency credit card and some cash to come through... now I keep cards and cash separate from each other with a spare ATM card just in case.

MojitoZ
    I got taken in by a jewelery shop type scam the first time I went to thailand, with the result only that i bought something i otherwise wouldn't have. It was still worth what i paid for it by oz standards. so probably more accurate to say i was subject to a ploy rather than an actual scam. After that i have never been scammed or had anything stolen in thailand, so i think i've been lucky. Its good to read about this stuff though - cos my luck won't last forever!

That must have been a right inconvenience PBB, it's bleeding amazing how they manage to do it sometimes I must admit. Wise on the separation PBB.
    Yeah the Jewelery one as as old as the black jack one I think, but sounds like nothing too bad happened Mojitoz. I have pretty much learned in all my trips to
    give most of them a wide berth. I did hear on my last trip of a lot being fleeced in bars by being told they had given staff a lower valued note than they actually had and receiving the wromg change. This is usually carried out when the clients have had a good few beers and don't realise or are not sure.