Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: Thailand's Khmer Temples

Banned

Thailand's Khmer Temples

Last edited by Fionn; 17th July 2013 at 08:36.

Banned

Smile

Banned

Banned

Banned

Impressive photos there Fionn. Interesting how similar they look to the Khmer temples VanGuy took of in Cambodia. I guess a similar history?

I particularly like the ones which include your wife in a cowboy hat walking away... looks cool.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Banned
    Last edited by Fionn; 17th July 2013 at 08:35.

Banned

Banned

The scale of these places is quite amazing.... and I like how it all looks so un-disturbed. Like it's just been discovered....
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Foundation member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน vanguy77's Avatar
    Great photos, Fionn, I really enjoyed your photo journal. Altho I am "templed out" at present, I really do want to see the Khmer ruins in Isan one day. While I am in Kanchanburi, I might just go to see Prasat Muang Sing, which is the furthest west Khmer ruin that has been discovered. It is not all that large, but it would be interesting to see, nonetheless. I love the dramatic looking path leading up to Phanom Rung. The Khmer really had a great eye for proportion, and worked hard to make their structures look more striking from a distance.

At the time of the building of most of these temples, there was no "Thailand" or "Siam" really ... it was all controlled by the Khmer. Sukhothai did not begin to emerge until around 1238, and by then the Khmer Empire was already going into decline. The last great Khmer k*ng, Jayavarman VII, died in 1219, and the entire empire went into a downward spiral from that point. As the old empire fell apart, the new Siam kingdoms, first in Sukhothai and then in Ayutthaya, began to emerge. But only then did history see an emergence of the "Thai" people.

Today, particularly after the purges of the Khmer Rouge, there are estimated to be 14.2 million ethnic Khmer in Cambodia, while there are 4.3 million ethnic Khmer living in Thailand, most of them in Isan. If your wife grew up in Surin, Fionn, there is a very good chance she is at least partly of Khmer decent!! 555 Thanks again for posting these.
    [SIZE="3"]"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."
    Mark Twain
    [/SIZE]

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    The first one very similar to Preah Vihear...nice pics.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Great photos... no shortage of laterite building where they did!

The logistics of transporting heavy raw materials always interests me. Angkor stone, some blocks weighing up to 1.5 tonne, was quarried from ~ 90 km's away and transported by elephant and barges via river and/or canals. Large holes were drilled into the sandstone blocks so pegs could be inserted for tying rope bridles.

Something like 5 million tonnes of stone was used in building temples at Angkor.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    I visited Prasat Phenom Rung & Sikhorophum in November last year when I was in Surin, truly amazing sites and wheted my appetite for Angkor Wat and Preah Vihear this November (I posted some pics on PI which are pretty similar to yours).

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Thank you very much for the photo journey. You've just added ANOTHER place for me to visit when I get back to Thailand. The photos were especially enhanced by the lovely creature (your wife) in the orange tank top and tight jeans.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Phimai was not far from my ex's farm and so we visited it a couple of times and I was impressed by its serene architecture.
    I really enjoyed your pics above and will certainly visit more Khmer sites in the future if Im in Surin.
    Supposedly the largest tree in Thailand ( a spreading fig) is near it as well ( last pic).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chob; 1st April 2013 at 05:46.

Banned
    Last edited by Fionn; 17th July 2013 at 08:37.

Banned
    Last edited by Fionn; 17th July 2013 at 08:37.