Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: Kanchanaburi trip

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน

Kanchanaburi trip

KANCHANABURI HOSPITAL VISIT

There I stood... stark naked... in the crowded hallway of the public hospital in Kanchanaburi. But wait, I’m getting ahead of my story.

I have supported a Thai family in Kanchanaburi for the past 10 years and have watched the children grow into teenagers. It’s been a rewarding but often frustrating experience. I have had a close attachment to the two youngest children ever since they were babies, and I’ve treated them as I have my own kids in Canada. Gung is a strong boy of 14 and his sister, Fong, is a slender, very pretty girl of 12. Their mother is the one who always frustrates me on each and every trip, but that hasn’t stopped me from visiting and supporting the entire family. The eldest girl, Fern is not quite 16 and now has a second child. She was 13 when she had her first one. But that is another story for another time. To soften the frustrations I get from every visit I often ask a Canadian friend to join me for a motorbike ride in the mountains just west of the small city of Kanchanaburi. The scenery is spectacular and every bike ride is unique.
    Last edited by Ian Forbes; 27th November 2013 at 04:30. Reason: Removal of pictures

And so it was again on a trip last year before Christmas. Brad came up from Pattaya to join me for a few days of riding before I contacted the Thai family who live 40 kilometres away in the small Thai village of Luk Kae. We rented two Honda scooters in town and took off the next morning on an extended trip into the mountains north of Mount Erawan waterfalls National Park. This region contains two of Thailand’s largest reservoirs, and the huge impoundments are a vast network of bays and inlets extending in all directions.
    Last edited by Ian Forbes; 27th November 2013 at 04:30. Reason: Removal of pictures

Road repairs are common in Thailand and they seldom give you any warning. Expect the unexpected and don't drive at night.
    Last edited by Ian Forbes; 27th November 2013 at 04:31. Reason: Removal of pictures

The ride back was just as nice as the ride there and we actually made better time. We knew what to expect and didn’t need to check for directions. We had plans to return the next day and stay at a resort along the lake. Then we could explore even further without any time restraints of getting back before night fall. It’s not wise to ride a motorbike along Thai mountain roads after dark. There are just too many hazards... as I shortly found out.

Our plans changed as I came around a tight corner where the road was covered in oil. The little Honda’s tires were no match for the slippery conditions, and down I went... hard on my left elbow and shoulder. A silver van had blown its motor and was parked at the side of the road just a short distance away. I didn’t even have time to be frightened. It was all over in a second leaving me with two scraped knees and a torn up elbow spraying blood in all directions.
    Last edited by Ian Forbes; 27th November 2013 at 04:31. Reason: Removal of pictures

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    Excellent story and photo's Ian, looks like ive got some more exploring on the scooter to do, ive only been to Katcnanaburi once and didnt even think of scooter exploring the area.

BTW the nurse is beautiful.
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    A great read Ian and some excellent photo's. I look forward to the follow up stories.

I had a spill off my bike in Townsville Aust. because a concrete pumping truck had spilt cooking oil on the road and as it was clear and around an intersection I came off with almost identical wounds to you. I did all my forearm not the elbow, and got the knees like you.

Fong and Gong look healthy happy kids and look as if they will be tall.

I guess the family members in the hospital come to look after the sick because the hospital doesn't have staff to do it???

Are the ferries cable pulled? they look like old ones we had here when I was a kid.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    Great read Ian.... what's with you Canadians and your travel writing skills? 555....

Look forward to more of the story about your family.
    Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    Great read Ian. Thanks.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

A good read Ian, and some top photos too ... Fong's a cutie! Where'd they both get the long legs from ...
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    A good read Ian, and some top photos too ... Fong's a cutie! Where'd they both get the long legs from ...

I suspect that Fong gets her long legs from whomever fathered her. Their mother, Boon is quite short. I've never got a straight, or honest answer from her no matter how many times I've asked. Now I just expect the lies. It doesn't matter to me who their father was; I still love the two youngest ones. It is typical of many Thai men to just leave their family behind.

This was always a favourite picture of them sitting primly at the end of the group. The naked little kid was doing the "monk thing" and was solemn and grumpy about it. The long haired little girl was very animated and cute as a bug.
    Last edited by Ian Forbes; 27th November 2013 at 04:32. Reason: Removal of pictures

Foundation Member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Gazmac's Avatar
    A great read and photos Ian ! Thanks for sharing ! One day ill be able to write like you guys !
    !qq!

wonderful trip report ian, looking forward to the rest

Did you really get a date with the nurse Ian? She has a very knowing-looking face... 555
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    Did you really get a date with the nurse Ian? She has a very knowing-looking face... 555
    Yes, I got a date with the nurse. In fact I've had dates with several nurses. But, the problem with dating nurses is they WORK, and often at strange hours. They don't have much time to just take off somewhere when they feel like it. Besides that, I don't want a permanent relationship, and it's not fair to the woman if she starts seeing marriage in the future. I'm an old fashioned kind of guy and I don't believe in love-em and leave-em. I don't want my heart broken and have no intention of hurting anyone else either. That kind of leaves me with just the rentals which suit me just fine.

^ a man after my own heart...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Foundation Member Platinum Annie's Avatar
    Thanks for sharing Ian. I love the family photos, and the pictures of your journey, except for the ones with blood. 555. Probably the main reason why I wouldn't travel on a bike. Annie

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน 1080's Avatar
    The accident photos sent a shiver up my spine Ian, been a long time between crashes, love the TR, thanks..

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Rockitt's Avatar
    Nice report Ian. I suppose all that pain was worth it to get a date with a pretty nurse like her.