Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My first trip to the Village.

Foundation Member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Gazmac's Avatar

My first trip to the Village.

Just got back from Thailand where i went to see my beautiful wife Tane and doing a few things to the Baan .

So ill do a small TR on what my trip was like and some new experiences i had along the way .
    Arrived at Suvanabumi at around 3.30 in the afternoon. Made my way to Immi , and a girl at the approach asked to see me arrival card. She looked at it and asked , why you stay in NaSanun? Replied that is where my wife lives! Oh really ? thats where i live ! 555
    Anyway,through immigration and out into the main terminal to look for Tane. 4 mins later there she is with a huge beaming smile on her face waiting to see me . Hugs and greetings over and introduction to her cousin Joy (yes a male ) and we are off to his dual cab ute for the long trip to southern Phetchabun.
    Our first stop was Big C in BKK as i needed to buy a mattress to sleep on. No I'm not going to sleep on a Thai mat lol.
    Mattress ,sheets and pillows loaded into the back of the ute and tied down off we go .
    Just under 4 hours in the dark and we are driving down her dusty dirt Soi. Dad ,Nong Sao(sister) and luk Chai(son) are awaiting as we pull into the driveway. More hugs and greetings and straight to cooking some food for us was the order of the night for the girls,while the son (he's 21 ) dad & i had a drink. I pulled the mattress off the ute,and placed it in the bedroom wanted us to sleep in ,and Tane got the sheets etc out and made it ready for us .
    I quick look around the Baan to see for the first time what Tane had been building for us over the last 8 months,boy i am impressed ! She really has done a fantastic job of it so far ! (Tane the builder thread for those that don't know )

Up early next morning,due to the Monks music and chanting at the local Wat ! Grrrrr, just what i didn't want !
    7.30 am and eating breakfast,the guy across the Soi comes over and makes jesters towards giving him a drink ! WTF ?
    Let him know that its a big no ! He tried it on for the next 3 days as well ! Never to be seen again after never getting a drink at that time of morning lol. I guess he got the message .
    Lot's of local neighbours etc came in a never ending stream to meet this Farang that's come to town . Not that i understood a thing they tried to ask me , and after a while even Tane gave up translating for me lol. Same questions every time , so she just answered for me !
    The Electrician has arrived to finish installing the electricity to the house, so Tane takes me for a ride around the village to see whats here . A shock yes, but not unexpected , as to the basic living standard of the locals. Rice Paddies surround the village, only 2 concrete roads in the whole place. A small village of 11 Soi's. Our new Baan , is deffinately one of the biggest homes in the village and also like a mansion compared to 90% of the wooden & corragated iron homes here. Bot the biggest but certainly up there !
    Back to the Baan and the electrician has finished working on the house ,but now looks at the power pole to where its all to be connected. ( up to now the power has been an extension from the old Baan ) Decides to redo the entire pole and tidy it all up. Then across the road to the pole over there to do the same thing as it wasn't looking all that safe ! Wouldn't see that happen back home ,that's for sure .
    The rest of the day is one of looking into what needs to be done or cleaned up around the Baan . A good relaxing day was had and an early night was had.
    Early next morning,we are off to the near by town of SiThep, to stock up on a few basic essentials and some food supplies that are faring friendly lol. Nothing special at this stage as no refrigeration as yet.
    Balance of the day and next couple of days were basically the same ,just relaxing around the house and meting people and family . I'm sure it felt like the whole village were related . Sure felt that way .

4th day there and awaiting the arrival of Kaptain Rob and his beautiful wife Jo. After a few phone calls re where they are as their GPS wants them to go dow some old beaten track , which didn't ring true ,they arrive just after lunch.
    Pleasantries over with, we go for a tour of the Baan ,and an inspection of the quality of work done. Jo and Tane sit down to some gin know of course and a chit chat whilst we do our inspection .
    After a couple of hours , we are all off to the nearby town of Wichian Buri to find appropriate accommodation for Rob & Jo.
    There's a Motel/vliia place that Tane had found that we stopped to check out on the way. Asked if any rooms available? Yes sure ,would you like see one ? Yes please. Follow me please said the nice young Thai lady, as she started her motorbike. Ok we all back in the car, and she pulled up all of 20 meters later ! WTF ? Why even bother starting the bike up ? It was 5 meters past where our car was parked 555555.
    Only room available was right beside the road and a to trucks run that road at night so not much sleep would be gotten . so we moved on .Next was a hotel in Wichian Buri. Didn't look much like a hotel ,but in we go for a look at the rooms ect. Yes this will do nicely. A good clean room with a nice atmosphere out by the pool . A shower and off downstairs for dinner we go.
    Food wash't anything to write home about , but friendly staff and a cold beer made up for it. Tuns out the hotel is an ex shopping mall converted to a hotel lol.
    TBC.
    !qq!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cippy's Avatar
    Nice, I have had some very similar experiences. Many people in the Baan have approached me for a drink, most of them I don't know and refused, but those who I did know I would give 40 to 100 baht if it was in the evening. 555 I learned quickly that they would never be satisfied and limited them to when I was having a drink, once and awhile. I have somewhat of a celebrity status as well, everyone likes to joke and talk to the Farang. 555 They are amazed how young I look for my age (I don't) and tell me I look like movie star. I'm not the first farlang in the village by far, there is even one man who lives there full time, but in the Baan, any distraction is welcome. 555

My Thai family will start the motorbike to go to the house three doors down for some eggs! Boggles the mind doesn't it?

You are braver than I, my strategy was driving 45 minutes into town and sleeping on a bed under the air conditioner. Real nice place for 4000 baht a month, why not?

Good to hear others experiences, looking forward to hearing more.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    Gaz how big is the Baan, housewise ? Last time at TG's home did a house count at 51 residence's in the Baan
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

Yes Cippy , i walked around to the local shop one day, which was probably about 300 meters. When i got back Tane asked me why i didn't take the bike ? Because its not far and i wanted to walk ! Farnag crazy ! All Thai people take motorbike !
    !qq!

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Nice TR Gaz, keep it coming. Didn't realize this was only your first trip until just now.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Lol @ C1 ! Yes most people wouldn't know that Changone . Yes i've met the family etc before but they all came to me in Patong ! Not me to them .

Ar. Theres an average of 10 to 12 Baan in each Soi . So 11 Soi's times that ! So i figure its probably twice your girls village housewise !
    !qq!

Lol...Sounds a lot bigger. I went to the village a few times now, but last trip we took the whole clan down to Patts for a day or two.
    Nice hotel, eating out at different places, and a day out at Jomtiem beach.
    The Kids (Big and small) loved it. Couldn't prise them out of the water when it was time to go home.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazmac View Post
    Lol @ C1 ! Yes most people wouldn't know that Changone . Yes i've met the family etc before but they all came to me in Patong ! Not me to them .

Ar. Theres an average of 10 to 12 Baan in each Soi . So 11 Soi's times that ! So i figure its probably twice your girls village housewise !
    Least you have a shop, front verandah at a house sells a few things and thats it. There is a house near the school that has those flags tied around advertising ice cream so said to TG one day I'm going to get an ice cream, she said where from, and I said, at the place with the flags. She said crazy farang that is peoples house, so i said what about the flags. She said they steal and put on house to decorate 555.

Everytime we drive past now I get "crazy farang" from all members of the family
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

[QUOTE]She said they steal and put on house to decorate 555./QUOTE]
    They can be a little like Bower Birds at times ! I know Tane's father is a hoarder !
    !qq!

Up and about at around 9am,and off to do shame home building shopping with Rob. After discussions with Tane, we are better off going back to SiThep as there is a big hardware type store there and much cheaper than WichianBuri.
    So off we go. Its about 50k's back to there, so doesn't take long to get there even with a kin know stop(of course) on the way at a roadside chicken stand. Tane gets us to the shop she referred to,and in we go .Well they deff have a lot of gear in here,but not much of a range of anything TBH! We couldn't find everything we needed ,and the sales girl told us they had a newer bigger store just up to the road. On the road again lol.
    Yes much bigger and more of a range but only one brand in anything . But we did get 90%of what we needed. Proceeded to the checkout to be told cash only ! WTF?
    Anyway, long story short, we left but did organise to pay for the floor tiles CODF next morning.
    We decieded to do the extra 100 k's down toy Lop Buri to Big C and Homepro.
    Everything we needed was purchased and saved a fair bit of baht at same time ! Refridgerator,water pump,fittings and the electric faring hot water shower on board and we are off home again . A long day on the road and a beer was called for !
    Rob , back to the hotel to do the same !
    Next morning Rob is back and we (well rob did most of it )are down to work installing the water pump and shower for me ! Those cold Thai bucket showers are killing me !
    Hot water/shower installed on the wall , now out the back to hook up the water pump to the Water tank.
    Water tank is filled by the local water supply at this stage , which is more like a trickle to be honest.
    We install at float level to shut the water off auto style. And half way through doing the plumbing , around the corner of the house walks a Monk ! Hmm ok , we both look at each other, and Sawadee Khup to the Monk. He replies with hello , what are doing here in perfect English ! (he's a full blown Thai ) Oh you speak English in a very surprised voice goes Rob ! Flawaed us both ! Yes i speak English with a smile, and continued to inspect our work and how we are doing the plumbing. Very interested as he says the have a problem with the towns water supply , and how we were overcoming it . Watched for about ten minutes with a little chit chat and said he'd be back later on to say hi again ,and left.
    All done and connected, tested via an extension cord from inside. Awesome this all works really well ! Now just have to wait for the electrician to come back tomorrow and wire it all up correctly with earth rods etc ,that Tane found at the local hardware when we went to get something .
    Electrician connecting to the grid

Water tank & Pump all plumbed up

Working Farang shower
    !qq!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    First trip to the baan...

You look like you have been living there for years! 555

Gee thanks RT ! But i sure felt comfortable there !
    !qq!

im enjoying reading this Gaz ^B^

heated shower in rural Thailand.... whatever next.... 5555

Can't believe it's your first time either Gaz... ;-)
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Water pump and heater, the Town electrical supply will take a dip when they are on together. Hitachi pump, nice kit, almost big enough for a sunken well?
    Sorry can't seem to shake my Tech interest.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Great insight, all the best mate.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Will read the Tane the builder thread now

Thanks Gaz

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    Wheres the pic of you & Rob having a drink on the balcony of your new place Gaz?

Baan Tane has certainly come along, looks good.

Has the missus returned to Australia with you?
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

No Rivo not as yet ! Unfortunately , i ran out of money and didnt have enough to get her on the plane back with me ! Her Visa did come through though.But thats ok , as i can get a few things in place for when she comes in a few weeks .
    !qq!

Must be a disappointment mate, still not too long I hope.
    Getting a few things in place?
    *Thai herbs
    *100 Plastic containers
    *20Kg rice
    *Mortar & Pestle
    *Bum gun
    Am I getting warm...?...5555

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast