Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mini Tour to Koh Phangan

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar

Mini Tour to Koh Phangan

Our trip to KP was just a 2 day 1 night tour.
    I had been to Koh Samui , an hour away , many times before and cast longing looks at KP laying lazily off in the haze ...now we were on our way.
    We chose to go with Lomphraya Ferrys at their wharf at Laem Nalan on the north coast of KS , and the boat was quick , not too old and clean and took us to Thong Sala Pier on the South West corner of the island ...
    Theres a good size villiage ( baan) here called Baan Nai Wok and I had planned to rent a scooter and ignore the 'average' beach here and base myself somewhere more lovely on the northern end of the island. This was not to be , the scooter renters all demanded 300 baht a day rental ( Id just paid 150 a day at Lamai on KS) , but worst they wanted my passport , so I figured that if it was "same same all this island" , I'd leave my passport with my Hotel , "Kup poong maak kup". ( "Thank you very much")
    So its not just Phuket that has overpriced transport , the song thaews ( 2 bench seated covered pick ups) were 300 baht PER PERSON for a jarring 20 minute run up the coast.
    But man , was it pretty!
    Brother and friends were already there , a pretty place on a pretty bay, Haad Salad Bay Hotel , I think it was called.
    They were in lovely Thai Beach Bungalows ( brick and tile and upmarket ) with lovely Thai girlfriends at 2k a night ... I took a guesthouse room at 1100.
    That afternoon , myself and my Irish friend took off exploring... they went diving.

First stop was to be the next beach north , Haad Mae Haad , but we missed that accidently and quickly arrived at Haad Chalok Lam with a small pier out into the bay in the middle and an island off the Nor-East off Haad Kom .
    Last edited by Chob; 30th November 2013 at 01:18.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Like....

its a nice easy excursion from here and well worth a couple of days...but do be careful about clashing with the FMP (I know Dean an his bro were as we discussed it) as the joint gets rammed for a couple of days before and after...especially in peak seasons (July/August and Dec/Jan)

Good advice ....
    The boat pics were actually at an intersection near the pretty bay of Haad Chalok Lam , where the road turns south , but we continued on to its dead end at Haad Kom View Point...
    After that was only jungle through to Baccys favourite beach further along the coast , but ut would have to be left till the next day as it is only reachable by track from the east side of the island.
    So we returned to Baan Chaloklum and a pleasant little villiage and pushed South.
    Half way down this road I spotted a spirit house , called a Jao Tee Jao Tong , with a difference.
    It was filled with carved and vividly painted wooden phalluses.
    The Irish ( Catholic) friend was intrigued and we jumped everytime a passing car or truck blasted its horns in deference to the gods of fertility ( well thats who Im guessing the gods were)...

At Baan Madeua Whan we chose to turn west for the coast and have a sundowner back at our little beach.
    There was time for a quick pic or 2 of the only "accident" I saw on this quiet lazy island but...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Good stuff , enjoyed the report and pics , I've never been , the association with the FMP put me off

Cadet
    great pics...and a beautiful island...a great place to chill when the FMP is not going on...but can be too boring if you are solo...plus, Haad Rin (where the FMP is at) is probably the worst place to be on the island anway.

Haad Yao east is great, with bunch of small hotels and a few cool bars.

Love the fact that Buddha loves Fanta - and not the organg Fanta, but the other kind

Cheers guys , I have the evening and day 2 to complete yet ... plenty more pics...

Somehow or other we missed our turn , and ended up inspecting a Wat under renovation.
    The aging abbot spoke perfect English and had served there 37 years ...I think it worked out at nearly $1 mill US for the renovations. I dunno where his pic went...
    Since we were virtually back in Baan Nai Wok , we had a quick tour around it , as the next day required a lot more distance to be covered.

I had a mate waiting in Samui named Bec. The place actually looked like somewhere where one could whoop it up...

^The ship was a surprise ..I dont know its name but its retired.
    The beach here was Aow Nai Wok and not much.
    The next north was also skinny and tidal , called Haad Plai Leam , but after that was a little colourful harbour of boats called Aow Wok Tum.

Then came a 'Jao Tee' graveyard near Aow Hin Kong. Thais will never destroy them , even if they have had terribly bad luck , preferring the jungle to reclaim them...

There is a lagoon near the coast at Laem Son.
    It has some big floatie stuff and bars that Im sure attracts a crowd at FM time.
    The beaches are cuter here at Aow Srithanu up to Haad Yao (west).
    It was getting late , the other beaches would wait till the morning so we headed directly to our hotel.

Love this pic... where else would you have something like this...

My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    ^The ship was a surprise ..I dont know its name but its retired.
    Very retired!

It's HTMS Pangan (LST 713)- an LST-542 Class Tank Landing Ship, started life as [I][B]
    7 April 1945 as USS LST-1134,
    Renamed USS Stark County (LST-1134) 1 July 1955,
    Decommissioned, 16 May 1966, and transferred to Thailand and commissioned into the Royal Thai Navy as HTMS Pangan (LST-13)
    More info here

Must be a 'Thai thing' there is a similarly beached ship at Prasae in south-west Rayong province (HTMS Prasae)
    See also Thai Historical Tidbits post
    Last edited by Hatari; 30th November 2013 at 17:01.

Odd but in good condition DP.

Back at the hotel it was a lovely balmy evening and I had a long swim out to a boat designed like a kids junk castle boat . But much of the bottom had lumps of broken coral , so one had to be careful where he stepped, though the water was clear to see.
    Paddy and I relaxed and watched thunderstorms crackle over Samui till Sundown , the joined brother and his friends for a chatty humourous dinner.
    Thai language ability is virtually unneccessary on KP , almost every staff member I met was Burmese and couldnt understand my or anyones Thai. Unlike the transport , food was not unreasonably priced.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    love those storm pics mate.....we have had a few crackers here late afternon in the past week or so since I returned from PI/Cambo

They certainly looked dramatic !

The next morning Paddy and I ate early with the divers , put our bags with Reception , and hit the road before it got too hot. We went first to the very next beach north that we had missed the day before , Haad Mae Haad . It turned out to be one of KP s best , and a very different beach to Salad , quiet open , big sand , and divided by a tombola attached spit.

The first pic is one more of Haad Mae Haad.
    Next is one of the lovely more upmarket Haad Tian (West)
    Then , Haad Yao (Long) which isnt that long really , but is a golden stretch with a few good beach bars.
    I think the last pic was at Niramon Sunview Resort...

Having seen the coast below , we then gave it some speed , but stopped to photograph this strange coconut at Baan Wok Tum.
    Then it was on to the coast facing Samui , a straight coast with a narrow beach that is fairly long and non-descript .... our only diversion along here was some lovely young Euro girls topless bathing , and a working monkey doing his trade. He was hard to photograph....
    Next was the home of the Full Moon Party , Haad Rin , and its beach wasnt too bad at all , considering its heavy usage...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast