Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Three Month LOS Road Trip

The Three Month LOS Road Trip

The TG and I decided we were getting a little stale in Kamalala and have embarked on an extended road trip. We have no itenarary except to stay on the road for a month in South Thailand. We headed out last week for a few days in Khao Lak. We have full car complete with a portable kitchen, cooler, snorkling equipment and a long list of miscellaneous crap.

The TG had been rummaging in the glove compartment at about the Phuket bridge when she informed me the car registration was expired. Gees, I refused to go back to Phuket. She called the Land Office and we can get that anywhere so we'll be dodging the checkpoints for awhile.

Khoa Lak has had a nice face lift. The main drag is all new and looks great. We hit the outdoor market, had a few beers at the permanent bar thats located in the three day a week market and headed North to an island called Ko Kho Khao. The ferry took 10 minutes to get us over there. We settled into our bungalow on the deserted. The owner was disappointed when she learned we had brought our own food and wouldn't be hitting her restaurant. She gave the TG some attitude when she went over and asked for a candle after the power went out. The Thai Girl is too nice to make up something like that. I went over and told her we'd be leaving in the morning. She found me a candle.

Day 1.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Every good girl loves a candle.....
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

IMG_0081.jpgIMG_0034.jpg

The beaches were empty. In fact the hotels were pretty empty

These next photos were at the The Keb Resort. Private pools here for the Deluxe rooms.

Oh yea, the curried crab served at a little restaurant down the beach was incredible.

IMG_0024.JPG (2).jpgIMG_0091.jpg

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Have a great trip

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    I`ve been paying tax on Phuket plated vehicles up in the north for a couple of years now...pay it anywhere no problemo.

3 months?...you`ll have had enough after a few weeks? road trips are a true test of a relationship

Khanom,Trang and Krabi the picks of the south.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

It can test a relationship. You're in each others face every day. I wouldn't test a relationship, like this. I wouldn't test a relationship.

I think I'm pretty easy going and she's a detail freak. Perfect travel companions.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinot View Post

I think I'm pretty easy going and she's a detail freak.....

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nubbins's Avatar
    It can test a relationship. You're in each others face every day. I wouldn't test a relationship, like this. I wouldn't test a relationship.

I think I'm pretty easy going and she's a detail freak. Perfect travel companions.
    My new Garmin GPS (bought on your advice btw.) can be programmed to speak in North East Thai. J loves it when the GPS speaks Isaan/Lao dialect to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Nubbins View Post
    My new Garmin GPS (bought on your advice btw.) can be programmed to speak in North East Thai. J loves it when the GPS speaks Isaan/Lao dialect to us.
    My GPS is an invaluable tool but I now supplement it with the Google and Apple map apps. Some of these places we've stayed at are off the beaten path and the map apps always find what we're looking for, the GPS not so much. My GPS only does English. It can do Thai with a software change. Your GPS cost 12k mine can now be had for 3k and probably uses the same map software. You have lots of bells and whistles.

IMG_0087.jpgIMG_0105.jpgIMG_0104.jpg

We left our 4 star resort in Kao Lak and headed East across LOS on what has to be the most beautiful highway in Thailand 401. The road is beautifully maintained and scenery is breathtaking, limestone mountains and jungle. About halfway across is Khao Sok National Park and that is where we stayed, in a little cold water bugalow. What a come down for the Madam TG. The shower was cold.

The next day we did an all day tour of the National Park. This is an enormous reservoir created by a dam 30 years ago. It's surrounded by limestone mountains. We started out in long tail boats. A great lunch was provided. We hiked in the jungle to a cave with dramatic stalagtites and stalagmites. All day, everything included with the guide for 1500 baht. Highly recommended. It's about 3 hours I would guess from Phuket. Fun.
    Attached Images Attached Images

IMG_0103.jpg

Now that I figured out how to rotate pics, Our Jungle Home.

Our Jungle House Tree House Bungalows Resort Khao Sok National Park Thailand

It was an amazing couple of days.

My GPS only does English.
    If it`s Garmin you can download new pirate/unlocked versions of TSM every year onto the mini SD card,behind the battery,in Thai and English free from the net...they are very handy out in the boonies and beyond

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nubbins's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    If it`s Garmin you can download new pirate/unlocked versions of TSM every year onto the mini SD card,behind the battery,in Thai and English free from the net...they are very handy out in the boonies and beyond
    My Garmin came with lifetime maps. I guess that was part of the price premium I paid.

The updates come out about once a year. I maybe behind a rev. Google maps put us on the doorstep today on a place Garmin didn't know about. I saved it as a favorite once I got here. The GPS is perfect for that. You can touch the screen in an area and it will get you there. It's great. You have to be careful, occasionally it will take you to the middle of nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Nubbins View Post
    My Garmin came with lifetime maps. I guess that was part of the price premium I paid.
    They come pre loaded with a base map when you buy them,which is Australia 2009 on mine. The mini SD is for putting in your own maps which in my case i change from TSM v13 to North Thailand offroad maps depending on what i`m doing.
    You could get the latest TSM unlocked off the net and put it on the mini SD card.

Even in Oz with the TSM in it recognizes that i`m in Oz and goes straight to the base map.

This is a spot worth stopping at. It's about 30 km south of Hua Hin. Lots of hiking but the cave was unbelievable.

After we left Khoa Sok National Park we headed for Surathani. You're really starting to get away from tourists here. We stopped at a market and I was the only farang there. I walked by one little kid and sees me and says to his Dad (in Thai) "Papa, look it's a farang." I said to his father, "Look it is a Thai boy." The father was laughing.

Not much to recommend Surathani. It's just a busy Thai city.

We did hit the Land Office there to take care of the car tax issue. The TG handled the transaction. I was standing off to the side when she walked up to the counter where two women sat. They soon started peering around the TG, checking me out. This went on for the next 10 minutes. She finally got it worked out (1500 baht later). I asked her what that was all about.

Her description:
    They asked me how old my husband is. I say guess. They say 50. Oh no, he's older. He's not pom puy, he look younger. He's getting pom puy, she says. How long have you been married? About one year. Oh, when you have baby...

So it goes. Off to Chumphon.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน slampay's Avatar
    This is good stuff Pinot. Thanks for taking the time!

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    ^^^^ Yeah agree with Slam, good to read about some other places in LOS along with pics, its a interesting read !! ... hope you can keep it going
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    After we left Khoa Sok National Park we headed for Surathani. You're really starting to get away from tourists here. We stopped at a market and I was the only farang there. I walked by one little kid and sees me and says to his Dad (in Thai) "Papa, look it's a farang." I said to his father, "Look it is a Thai boy." The father was laughing.

Not much to recommend Surathani. It's just a busy Thai city.

We did hit the Land Office there to take care of the car tax issue. The TG handled the transaction. I was standing off to the side when she walked up to the counter where two women sat. They soon started peering around the TG, checking me out. This went on for the next 10 minutes. She finally got it worked out (1500 baht later). I asked her what that was all about.

Her description:
    They asked me how old my husband is. I say guess. They say 50. Oh no, he's older. He's not pom puy, he look younger. He's getting pom puy, she says. How long have you been married? About one year. Oh, when you have baby...

So it goes. Off to Chumphon.
    these are all the exact areas we are driving to in March
    so thanks for the updates

Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast