Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Back to LOS after 3 years

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar

Back to LOS after 3 years

This won't be the most enthralling TR on here, just some thoughts and reviews:

It has been a little over 3 years since I had visited LOS. I didn't plan on going this time either but my wife booked a ticket because she wanted to be home for Songkran and I decided I really should go and see her family since it had been so long.

Flight
    I got a great price of 1100cad for a flight on JAL with short connections in Narita. They fly the new Dreamliner from YVR-TOK. It is smaller than I thought but flies extremely smooth and cuts down on turbulence a lot. The new bigger windows also makes it seem bigger and not as claustrophobic.
    I remember connecting in Narita a long time ago and it being nicer, this time the terminal i was in was crap with 2 ****ty restaurants, had some ok noodles.
    I arrived at BKK at 11pm, and was past immigration and taxi in 20mins

BKK
    I was flying solo the 1st night because my wife was in Cha Am, so stayed in lower Suk at Ibis Nana. Decent hotel for a night stay but no pool. I was actually excited to go and hang out by Nana solo. Not for naughty reasons but just to sit and people watch. I can't remember how many years it was since I did that. Well, it was a disappointment. I barely saw an attractive girl(maybe all home for Songkran) and the lower Suk area is dominated by dirty Indians and shady Africans.

After the 1st day I moved to Ibis Riverside in Thonburi, right under the Thaksin Bridge. I found this hotel to be incredible for the money. Ibis rooms are clean, smallish and basic but there hotel grounds are very nice and this one's grounds were beautiful. I would say their outdoor/pool area is nicer than Shangri-La's!
    Another good thing about this hotel was they had a tapas menu at the pool. So you could order any of the starters, noodles, mains as tapas in 3,4,5 servings for under 300baht and all the food was very good.
    I actually liked staying in Thonburi, it was really laid back with everything you needed concerning food, malls and such.

Asiatique
    We went to Asiatique and it was very touristy but they have some really nice looking bars and restaurants

I also met Minder and his wife and both were great people. Minder's wife has a very funny personality and she is very quick witted. It was a good night and Minder is a great guy, just as many people have said who have met him

Pic 1- LB who was modelling at the Ibis pool for 2 days
    Attached Images Attached Images

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    A LB modeling at the pool? classy....
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

Suphan Buri(Doem Bang)

After 3 days in BKK, i rented a car in Sathorn from Avis and we drove the 2 hours to my wife's village in Suphan Buri, her village is Doem Bang.
    I had not been there in at least 5 years. I am not a big fan of the village, I just think too much drama and negative influences around and fcuk all for a lot of people to do but my wife dutifully comes to Boston all the time so no problem spending time in her home. I actually like her one Aunt and even though her husband is dispicable father, he is ok to talk to.
    We used to stay at her other Aunt's big house but she sold it and all my wife's brothers and about 20 people total were staying in the small house so we stayed in a hotel.
    I actually found a new Thai owned resort on a lake in her village!
    It was called Doem Bang Villas and it was awesome! The grounds were gorgeous, the room was great with big balconies, and the Thai family were such sweet people, especially the Dad who was addressing me by my name 10 mins after meeting him.

It was Songkran in the village so we went to a party at the temple. Was pretty boring but they had a band with dancing girls. It always amazes me that Thailand puts off this image of a reserved culture but they will have sexy dancing girls at a family party at the Temple. I mean some of the girls dance moves would offend people in the West at a family type party. We left when the locals started getting too drunk because we know what happens once the drink starts kicking in

Samchuk 100 year old market

About 30mins south of Ao's village is Samchuk Market, a 100 year old market.
    It was pretty nice with old teak houses and they sell traditional snacks that my MIL has when she was a kid but that you don't see much anymore
    One thing that kind of takes away from the market is it is covered in umbrellas and tarps to shade the market but it takes away from the beauty of the old houses

pic1-4 Doem Bang Villa
    pic 5-7 Samchuk 100 Year Market

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Dazza's Avatar
    Cool, that resort has it's own rabbit shooting range... 55555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    I'm stuck on Do em. Bang....sexy ....
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

Kanchanaburi

We drove from Suphan Buri to Kanchaburi for one night only. it was sort of on the way to Hua Hin, or at least not so far off the path. My wife, MIL or stepson had never been there. I really should have stayed a couple nights there.

We stayed in town near the River Kwai Bridge. I didn't realize Songkran was starting there and it was chaos. With a lot of young, drunk unruly thais right in the middle of where our hotel was. Fortunately it stops at 7pm so we were able to take a walk. I was not aware there were beer bars here and there were plenty. Can't say i saw any real lookers and I will say that the average age of the customers in the bar had to be approaching 70. 555

We stayed at a nice 3 star resort on the river called Good Times Resort. The rooms were huge and clean, pool nice and the restaurant on the river was nice, although service sucked a bit

Good Times Resort - Good Times Resort Kanchanaburi, River Kwai

Since we only had one night there and we wanted to get to Hua Hin at a decent times we only went to Erawan Falls. April means the falls are not at capacity water levels but they seemed fine by me. There are 7 levels and we did them all and none of it was too strenuous and the Thais hung in there with no complaints.
    My wife complained that all the girls were walking around the falls in bikinis but what are they supposed to do, go from falls to falls in jeans and a t-shirt? I mean it is a jungle with water falls, sometimes i think the Thai modesty is a bit too much, considering there are hookers on every corner. And I will say there was plenty of friggin fit girls walking around in those bikinis!!

My wife like Kanchanaburi so we will go back so i can do all the war sites

Foundation Member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Gazmac's Avatar
    Enjoying your TR so far ! But wheres the pics of girls in bikini's and dancing girls etc etc ? 555
    Quarky likes this.
    !qq!

^^Stayed 2 nights there last week, definitely going back post wet season :-)

Hua Hin

We drive the 3hrs to Hua Hin from Kanchanaburi
    We know Hua Hin well because my wife was born 2 cities away in Petchaburi and all of her mom's side live in Cha Am
    We usually stay at the Hilton right in the little tourist village but this time i booked a 1bdrm condo near the new area, Soi 94
    Soi 94 has some bars, restaurants to go to and you can walk 7-8 minutes to the main mall in HH, Village Market.
    I could also walk 5 minutes to the beach, which is a bit nicer down this end than at the Hilton area.

The condo was advertised as for 4 people, with 1bdrm and a sofa bed. The furnishings were very nice, but i don't think it is ideal for 4 people. I had a small issue where they only provided us 1 towel each for 4 days, but after a lengthy call, they sent over new towels. I would recommend the condo for a couple or single guy, but maybe not for 4 people, even though the issues were minor.

Traffic
    Is horrendous in HH!! One of the worse situations i have ever seen anywhere. You basically are bumper to bumper anytime of the day/night in the middle of the city

Cha Am
    This being a very much Thai beach, with all the umbrellas up and no real sand area, it doesn't appeal to me but we went out there one day to eat on the beach and it was great. We had about 30 BBQ Prawns, friends prawns, seafood salad, mussels, sodas and about 4 other dishes and it all came to about 900 baht

We were going to land at land to possibly buy but the traffic was so horrendous we decided against it

Bar Areas
    Although they don't have the best selection of girls, or the most, i really like the bar area in HH that is near the Hilton with the winding alleys. I just love the set up and they have added a lot of nicely fitted out bars now. Sat in one that was real nice and beers for 59baht until 11pm
    We also drove by the soi 80 bar area that i have never been to and that looked like it could be fun too

1 bedroom Apartment Rental in Hua Hin from $56/nt - 1 BR/Studio Hua Hin Rocco Condo 200m Fr Beach

Samui

Knowing that Bacwaan was down there and only really been to Samui for a brief time once and Lamai only for a daytime ride over, i wanted to get to Lamai
    My wife was dut to fly back to Canada on the 23rd so she headed back to BKK
    I woke up and got on the road at 5:30am for the grueling 5 1/2 hour ride to Surat Thani where i was returning the rental car at Surat Thani Airport, then taking a bus 1.5 hours and ferry another 1.5 hours. That drive was fcuking hard! No matter how fast i went i just couldn't seem to cut anytime off the projected GPS time and there is not really any nice scenery to distract you on the drive
    So door to door was about 10 hours but i got there!

Bacwaan recommended a great hotel about midway between Lamai and Chawaeng. When i am staying in a beach area i like to be out of town a little bit and this hotel fit the bill!
    Coral Cove Chalet- a 4 star rustic sort of beach hotel with bungalows and a main building. I stayed in a building suite one night then in an amazing bungalow suite directly on the water for 3 nights. The staff were great, breakfast decent but it was all about the room. Oh and the pool was steaming hot in the afternoon, which kind of sucked

Coral Cove Chalet , Tropical holiday in the sun , Koh Samui, Thailand.

Bacwaan came right over and brought me to his Thai friends who rent scooter. I rented a PCX and i love driving around the island, it is an essential part of my vacation.
    Bacwaan was not feeling that great so i was left to my own most nights so went out solo but nothing major. He took me for a ride around the island, we had some nice lunches and a great dinner at his place. All and all, a great time on the island

One bar he brought me to is well known to Rak, that is Dragon Bar in his TR. Bac is well known there and well, i'd have to say they have one of the most impressive line ups of their top 4-5 girls i have seen in Thailand!
    The only thing is i just can't get into going to beer bars alone anymore, the convo with the girls bore me to death. I guess when you aren't looking for tail, it can be a bit tedious. I'd be super curious how i'd feel about beer bars if i was single again. Somehow i think i'd feel the same way.

Pics are views from rooms i stayed in at Coral Cove Chalet

My In-laws

The main reason for this trip was to spend time with my wife's family...especially her mom and stepson.
    I have never not gotten along with them but I am set in my ways and a bit different than the patterns they see from other girls with farang husbands. As Ao puts it, "my family fear you", although i have never been anything but polite and generous with them when i am with them in person. I think she just means they know I am not a pushover.
    Anyways, we did spend a bunch of time with her family, which includes 4 brothers, a sister, mom, 5 nephews, 2 nieces, aunts, uncles and friends
    I had a good time and me, Ao and her mom and son travelled all around and had a blast.
    I've always gotten along with her mom, even though she doesn't speak English but this time we seemed to get along even better, she sort of gets my humor. With a bit more Thai and her knowing a smidgen more English, it just made it easier to connect.\
    Her son is just a fantastic kid, but we need to figure out what we are doing with him and soon because he seems to be a bit immature for his age. Part of that comes from my MIL being way too strict and not letting him go out with friends. We had a serious discussion with her that she needed to loosen up and let him go out and just place curfews and rules and she seemed to agree.
    So i had a good time, and even one of her brothers said he felt "i stay with them more" this time.

One funny part. I got to BKK for my last night and they obviously knew about my MB accident. So Ao tells me that her and her mom will be by my hotel but i tell her not to bring her mom because i want to be alone. So my door rings and her and her mom are standing outside, a little perturbed i give Ao a face and her mom goes off in Thai, but in sort of a joking way.
    Ao says "my mom told you to shut up. if you have accident she is going to come and see how you are" 555

Nice view from that bunglow, will keep that place in mind if i ever make it to Samui.

MIL probably just wanted to see if you were really injured or not... 555

I would not enjoy being solo in girlie bars if I had a gf... if the gf was with me, then is fun... but otherwise it's far too frustrating as you have no end goal... 555
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    ^ I think he liked the views Matto!

A good little TR Paulie.... what did you think of prices/costs now in LOS?

Wow, great looking hotel room with fantastic view.

Foundation Member Uber Star quiksilva's Avatar
    That hotel sure is impressive.
    I really need to improve my motorbike skills if I chose such a location.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star
    Thanks for sharing.Luckily the accident happened at the end of your holiday.Ditto that room with the view on Samui....very nice.Seems a bit out of the way but it sounds like you dont mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    A good little TR Paulie.... what did you think of prices/costs now in LOS?
    That is a good question and something i was thinking about

If you are doing anything that has been influenced by the west, (Swenson's for example) it is no cheaper than back in the west
    But if you are doing something sort of mixed, a mom and pop shop serving western/Thai food the prices are not super cheap but pretty decent
    And you can still get crazy cheap prices if you are going to a Thai only place
    2 times come to mind for real cheap prices:
    We were on our way to Sam Roi Yet and stopped at a Thai road side restaurant. We got 5 dishes total and they were big enough and it came to 150baht!
    When we ate at Cha Am, just the amount and type of food we got for just 30usd was astounding!

I also think you can find great beer prices if you walk around, there is usually some bar with a happy hour
    So all and all, i think the prices are still decent but anything western is very expensive

Great TR :-)

Songrkan at Silom

My stepson and I went to Silom for Songkran and I had a blast
    I was involved in 3 Songkrans this trip and this seemed to be the most "pure" no drunk thai boys, or people going overboard and it was packed

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast