Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Mini trip to Chiang Mai

Tez

Mini trip to Chiang Mai

Hey guys
    I am starting to plan a trip to Chiang Mai next year in Feb and was wondering about accommodation. My hotel budget stops at $35.00 au a night . Going to do a motorcyle tour all be it a short one. I will need it close to a bar of course.
    Suggestions please I know I can look it up online but why not use the knowledge here first hey?

Plenty to choose from in old city south-east corner which are close to bars and restaurants. Have a look on Trip Advisor.

A 2 year old hotel just a stones throw from the Aussie Pub might suit - Google it: Mawin Hotel 111-113 Lamphun Rd. Watgate, Muang, Chiangmai
    Easy walk across Iron Bridge for drinks, eats and night life. 100m south is Rimping Supermarket and 100m north to The Dukes.

Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Lots to suit your pocketbook in Chiang Mai. Unless I'm in Bangkok or Phuket I've seldom paid more than 700 - 800 baht anywhere. I pay 400 baht where I stay in Pattata, but it's up on third road. I paid 680 baht for a down town hotel in Phitsanulok a few days ago and I'm paying 400 baht for a guest house in Kanchanaburi right now. Staying long time in Chiang Mai I pay 5000 baht a month.

Tez
    Yeah I have 1 night there then a night in Chiang Rai Then back for another in Chiang Mai then 2 in Bangers and down to Patong for a couple. Doesnt really matter I guess

Tez
    Ok the trip is done and I am home with mixed emotions a little confused sore as hell and a host of other stuff going through my head all at once.
    First night went really well with my favorite girl quite pleased to see me At least that's the impression I get. Which is what I want and expect lol.
    Day 2 was met at the airport and taken to my hotel Thankfully super close to bars and restaurants for the night. After several bars and the one gogo bar called Foxy Lady or something I returned to a bar from earlier and as expected they were more welcoming this time.
    Day three off on a ride to Doi Inthanon for the day then back to Chiang Mai for another night. A couple of massages and a great dinner later my riding partner went home so off to the bars I go. Cant remember the girls name or the bar but I nearly called maid service to change the sheets. An interesting experience no doubt.
    Day 4 and its off to Chiang Rai. Great ride heaps of photos lots of coffee breaks and the very unusual Wat Rong Khun. Never seen its like before. Another good hotel this time in Chiang Rai right next to where the massage and bars and some restaurants are. walked around the night markets then settled for a proper massage first followed by the obligatory hotel visit from another establishment. An exchange of numbers and a quick photo and its goodnight.
    Day 5 this is where it starts to go south for me. Great start to the day, Breakfast was impressive the day went really well on the ride through the mountains again Lots of Chinese tourists in their convoys. All until a trio of kids on a scooter oldest one is about 10 decide to cross the highway without looking.I dropped the bike to try to avoid them. Hit their back wheel and sent them flying. They are ok cut bruised but Ok Me a torn shoulder ,swollen ankle ,scrapes ,bruises etc etc and a 19000 baht repair bill. Not happy at all. But I rode the bike 150 km to Chiang mai after . Just a massage or three that night then off to bed
    Day 6 Off to Patong for some rest and recreation. Met my girl again She stayed with me and tended to my every need. 2 day later and its off back home I go. The main memory is of the kids faces when we collided. Everything else is barely a blur now.
    cheers

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Tez at least you put it down and wore it yourself instead of T boning them and possibly a fatal outcome for them.

Anyone that rides and has been in that accident situation knows it is only a part of a second to do what has to be done and no one else, only you, know if you did or didn't get it right.
    All are still alive and will ride again another day so my opinion, for what it's worth, is you must have got it right,.

Hope your injuries heal quickly for you.

Did the kids have anything to say?? Do you think they learnt anything from it??
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Tez
    Half a second more and I might of missed them. No they didn't speak and the guy with the knife put me off approaching them. The girls were in shock until the ambulance came . One girl was hurt more than the others but at least they all cried when the ambulance came. No obvious broken bones. I hope they recover quickly. Best thing for me was I got up and walked away. Its been a week now and I can sleep again. Kept thinking there was someone in my room. weird huh

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    Lots to suit your pocketbook in Chiang Mai. Unless I'm in Bangkok or Phuket I've seldom paid more than 700 - 800 baht anywhere. I pay 400 baht where I stay in Pattata, but it's up on third road. I paid 680 baht for a down town hotel in Phitsanulok a few days ago and I'm paying 400 baht for a guest house in Kanchanaburi right now. Staying long time in Chiang Mai I pay 5000 baht a month.
    wow ian thats around 170 baht a day...surely thats not all inclusive...

Quote Originally Posted by meese View Post
    wow ian thats around 170 baht a day...surely thats not all inclusive...
    Last few months it was only 4500 a month. But, I do my own cleaning and laundry which is no big chore. That is cheaper than staying home in Canada for the winter: no truck or motorbike insurance to pay, no internet and TV charges, no oil furnace to run in my house that sits empty, etc, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tez View Post
    Half a second more and I might of missed them. No they didn't speak and the guy with the knife put me off approaching them. The girls were in shock until the ambulance came . One girl was hurt more than the others but at least they all cried when the ambulance came. No obvious broken bones. I hope they recover quickly. Best thing for me was I got up and walked away. Its been a week now and I can sleep again. Kept thinking there was someone in my room. weird huh
    Dreams and memories are common. The mind works in crazy ways.

35yrs ago I hit a roo at high speed. even still every so often I have a dream of it again, I can see as clear as day the Roo's head disapearing into my groin as I sail off up into the air.

Don't worry there is always the "If i was a second or two later" question, you weren't and if you were a second earlier you wouldn't have been able to put it down and probably more carnage. So don't seond guess it all, you did what you could with what you had and everyone lived and it seems, no serious damage, so relax, you did good.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    Last few months it was only 4500 a month. But, I do my own cleaning and laundry which is no big chore. That is cheaper than staying home in Canada for the winter: no truck or motorbike insurance to pay, no internet and TV charges, no oil furnace to run in my house that sits empty, etc, etc.
    its cheaper than living in a squatter camp in cape town 555555....im to scared to ask how much you spend on food a month 5555....are you having some fun with us regarding this ????

its cheaper than living in a squatter camp in cape town 555555....im to scared to ask how much you spend on food a month 5555....are you having some fun with us regarding this ????
    I eat pretty much the same thing each day but my supper meals vary. I have a little Thai cafe that makes me a nice Kow padt gai (stir fry rice, veggies and big chunks of chicken) for 40 baht, and all the water I can drink. I frequently make myself a ham and cheese sandwhich which I always have available in my fridge. I eat a lot of fruit: bananas, oranges, pineapple and mangos in season. I have cereal I brought from Canada and it's good if I need something quick and filling. My suppers vary all over the map with a mixture of Thai and western food, but seldom cost more than 200 baht. I'm even happy with the 20 baht Kai tee Ow (Thai omelette on rice) I can get at a local street market. I seldom have more that one beer if I go to a bar in the evening. It is a pretty frugal existance that I'm totally happy with. My only major expense is the Thai families I help out.

not having a go at all ian but would i be right in saying that you are living on around 12000 baht a month..wow not sure if i should be impressed or not....i know there was a guy a couple of years ago on PI that was trying to live on 30000baht a month..i remember there being lots of banter about that it was almost impossible to do....but you seem to be doing half that...

i must admit that i am sitting here gob smacked..not knocking you..just astounded

That's okay meese, the ladies in my life eat up most of what I get each month, and I'm happy to share with them. They need it more than I do. I sure don't lack for anything. Everything I own is paid for, and I've probably got too much crap as it is. If I include incidentals like the occasional bar bill where I buy a few lady drinks, and the long trips I make on my motorbike, my monthly bill is closer to 20,000. Bars and restaurants would go broke with just guys like me as customers. I used to fly down to Pattaya or Krabi for 10 days or so, but I've even stopped that. I'm more likely to ride my motorbike down now and just visit friends. I've got a couple of lady friends in Mae Sariang and Phitsanulok that I visit occasionally and usually stay in a medium priced hotel for 500 to 800 baht for a few nights.

not having a go at all ian but would i be right in saying that you are living on around 12000 baht a month..wow not sure if i should be impressed or not....i know there was a guy a couple of years ago on PI that was trying to live on 30000baht a month..i remember there being lots of banter about that it was almost impossible to do....but you seem to be doing half that...

i must admit that i am sitting here gob smacked..not knocking you..just astounded
    Meese I have a expat friend that lives in Patts, he and his Thai wife, live in a room in the middle of Patts. He has been there 5yrs
    His budget which includes drinking out almost every day, now he has all his prime items bought, like updated computer, fridge scooter etc is 50-70k bt PM.
    He is currently up country east of CR and the photo's yesterday of his trip to Mackro, oysters 55B for a tub, they were plump and about 30 in the tub. Fish and crabs also so so cheap.

So I am guessing if living like a local up country then the cost could easily be 1/2 what he spends in Patts. So 25-30kB could be done.

The thing is all major things need to have been bought first. Then the day to day costs are little.

I think the biggest cost difference is accommodation. The hotel I used to stay at stopped offering rooms by the month so I moved to where I am now. Even at the relatively low price of 300 baht a night it is still double what I am paying for a larger room. I own a bunch of stuff, including my 250 D-Tracker that I leave with friends when I'm back in Canada. That saves me a lot of money. The only hassle is packing it all up when I leave for 7 months.

as my mother is so fond of saying when i complain to her about the price of an item "do you want to be the richest man in the cemetery"

im still astounding how you do it ian...but each to his own.....i still enjoy the good material things in life.....but got to wonder why you would live in substandard accomadation..hell its your home..even if its for a few months

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    as my mother is so fond of saying when i complain to her about the price of an item "do you want to be the richest man in the cemetery"

im still astounding how you do it ian...but each to his own.....i still enjoy the good material things in life.....but got to wonder why you would live in substandard accomadation..hell its your home..even if its for a few months
    It's not what I would do but I wouldn't consider a room at 9k/mo substandard............actually I think Ian might be getting screwed a bit if it is just a studio type room 555

My wife paid 7k/mo when she lived in Phuket and it was a nice room.............just a room but nice enough

I had a lovely big room with kitchenette and bathroom.. for 13k a month in Bangkok. Would have been 11k a month if I stayed longer... and was bigger than any hotel room I have stayed in...

Tez.... who had a knife? One of the kids you hit?
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Tez
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    I had a lovely big room with kitchenette and bathroom.. for 13k a month in Bangkok. Would have been 11k a month if I stayed longer... and was bigger than any hotel room I have stayed in...

Tez.... who had a knife? One of the kids you hit?
    Not the Kids they aged from about 9 to 5 Some guy came up while I was trapped under the bike.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast