Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Father son trip - Part two.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar

Father son trip - Part two.

Some may remember my Songkran trip last year with my TGF & son Dylan.

Photos of my April trip with my son & TGF

Its that time again and we leave in a 5 days, He is 13 now and we are looking forward to another great trip. We arrive in Chiang Mai Friday 10th.

I'm starting this report a bit early because I need a hand from you lot. The last trip was a great trip and we still have a laugh about it. I need some ideas on what to do on this one. We are in CM 10th to the 18th. However our flight home is the 25th so we have some space to fill. We will end up flying home out of BKK. Not sure where we will spend those days maybe head south or even just Hua Hin, a guy I met on my mountain bike tour in Feb has the new cable ski place in HH.

So far we got a few ideas. While in the north we will head to CR with another BM that I have met on a few trips. He is also travelling with his family and has kids same age. Will spend a few days with them.

Now my son is getting older he has started riding Downhill mountain bikes with me so will catch up with the local downhillers in CM that I know may take him out on a few trails one day. Still in two minds to do that or not the CM trails are a bit advanced for him. He also wants to do massage, ATV, Zip lining and shoot some guns, ride some motor bikes and eat mango sticky rice.

Not sure where to go after the 18th any ideas?

He has been CM, CR, Mae sai Krabi, BKK, Phuket.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    ^^ Junior padi courses start form age 12... (:

My oldest son liked Koh Chang best, the other two preferred Koh Samui..
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    ^^ Junior padi courses start form age 12... (:

Funny you say that my daughter is a dive instructor and suggested that a few hours ago. The problem is he has asthma

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Maybe a deep sea fishing trip for one day??
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    Funny you say that my daughter is a dive instructor and suggested that a few hours ago. The problem is he has asthma
    Did that with my oldest son.. Severe dyslexia, bought him the book for his 12th birthday and told him I would take him when he had read the whole 300 pages..
    Took him 2 months to finish it, where he struggled to read one page of something that did not interest him..555

One of the best holidays I ever had, seeing a 12 yo kid grow into a diver..

This is from his second dive:
    OZZYGUY, TMTBOUND and dave01 like this.

Great photo Rakthai, I also dive so would be good to give him ago. How do you get to Koh Chang from BKK. I have driven to Rayong about a month ago I assume drive and boat?

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    Cant remeber if you did any Hill tribe treks/elephants/white water rafting last time?

But wow, just brillant ozy that you are getting to do these trips with your son ....

I doubt there is any greater experience, education, parenting exercise, Father Son Bonding, that you could offer a son....
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

Great photo Rakthai, I also dive so would be good to give him ago. How do you get to Koh Chang from BKK. I have driven to Rayong about a month ago I assume drive and boat?
    Drive yourself or take a bus to the pier..
    I think you can also fly to Trat, save yourself the 6(?) hour drive..

I was trying to work out the connection between asthma and dyslexia? ...55

Doesn't the asthma make it a non-starter?
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post

Doesn't the asthma make it a non-starter?
    Discussions on Diving With Asthma What do dive physicians think about diving with asthma? This subject has generated much discussion worldwide, and many physicians hold opposing viewpoints. Perhaps the most liberal guidelines are from the United Kingdom, which states that well-controlled asthmatics may dive - within two guidelines:

Provided they have not needed a bronchodilator within 48 hours;
    and if they do not have cold-, exercise- or emotion-induced asthma.

This is about the best advice I could find on the subject... basically it depends how bad his asthma is, what specific things trigger an attack and how comfortable he is in the water (does he snorkel etc already?)

Given his situation I would recommend you do the PADI open-water course at somewhere like my old dive school in Jomtien - I think the on-shore facilities would be a lot better there and closer to hand than in Ko Chang. (Hope for the best plan for the worst). Instructors are young ex-British military guys and will do the training properly.

Scuba Diving Pattaya Thailand- Real Divers -

Ko Chang is a lovely place to dive but I'd save that till he knows how to.

Enjoy
    Quarky and OZZYGUY like this.
    Life is the unexpected ...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    Worth checking your insurance..this is from my policy re general exclusions.

Your claim arises because you dive underwater using an artificial
    breathing apparatus, unless you hold an open water diving licence
    issued in Australia or you were diving under licensed instruction.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    looking back if my dad had took me to soi 6 when i was 13 i would have been most grateful
    TMTBOUND likes this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

With the asthma these days he hardly ever gets it. He does a bit of snorkle and his sister who is a dive instructor has taken him in the pool before with scuba.

I am in Cebu in September and my GF's family have a guest house on the beach. Not far they have the whale sharks. Im concidering taking him and my daughter with me to dive with the whale sharks so a bit of a intro in LOS would be a great idea.
    Last edited by OZZYGUY; 5th April 2015 at 21:33.

^ re the whale sharks a mate that works a dive boat there the last few years and it was only this week he saw his first one!
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Whale Sharks ??!!?? House on the beach??

Screw them ... take me ...

...please ... 555
    Gazmac, PGC and OZZYGUY like this.
    Life is the unexpected ...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Without the mountain at Doi Sutthep I doubt if I would have made Chiang Mai my second home. I love all the nature trails up that mountain. There is an old, over grown road (now a trail) that comes down the mountain and ends up at Huay Tung Tao lake which is about 12 km north west of the city center. Many of the serious mountain bikers take the steeper trails off that old road. I hike up there all the time. The start of the old road is about a km beyond the Doi Sutthep temple, but before the palace and hill tribe village. Go about 1/2 to 3/4 beyond the parking lot at Doi Sutthep and there is a little paved road coming in sharply from the right (GPS 18 48 23.38 N, x 98 54 57.9 E) It leads up to some cottages and park staff area. The road circles around and goes up to some private homes. Go to the end where the road splits 3 ways. I think it is the middle road you take. From there it is about 15 km down to the lake. The old road varies between narrow and quite good. There are fair numbers of fallen trees over the road, but I've seen guys on dirt bikes get through by laying the bike down or carrying them around. It would be fairly simple on a mountain bike. All my data and trail maps are left behind in Thailand, but you can take my word for it that it's passable. I would NOT attempt any of the trails down from the old road. They are STEEP. It would be a real adventure if your son likes mountain biking. The forest is magnificent and all you hear are birds singing. I'm 75 and I can still do it so I'm sure your 13 year old son could.

OZZYGUY likes this.

Ian I know these trails and have ridden the steep ones many times. Really nice area but a bit dry at the moment.

I just talked with him and he has asked if we are taking the bikes, looks like we will be riding.

Its that time again and we leave in a 5 days, He is 13 now and we are looking forward to another great trip. We arrive in Chiang Mai Friday 10th.

I'm starting this report a bit early because I need a hand from you lot. The last trip was a great trip and we still have a laugh about it. I need some ideas on what to do on this one. We are in CM 10th to the 18th. However our flight home is the 25th so we have some space to fill. We will end up flying home out of BKK. Not sure where we will spend those days maybe head south or even just Hua Hin, a guy I met on my mountain bike tour in Feb has the new cable ski place in HH.

So far we got a few ideas. While in the north we will head to CR with another BM that I have met on a few trips. He is also travelling with his family and has kids same age. Will spend a few days with them.

Now my son is getting older he has started riding Downhill mountain bikes with me so will catch up with the local downhillers in CM that I know may take him out on a few trails one day. Still in two minds to do that or not the CM trails are a bit advanced for him. He also wants to do massage, ATV, Zip lining and shoot some guns, ride some motor bikes and eat mango sticky rice.

If you are thinking of south coast but not too far south, try Ao Manoa (Lemon Bay) at the south end of Prachuap Kirikhan, which the capital city of the Province of the same name. Hua Hin in at the North end of that province.

Ao Manoa is inside an Airforce Base but the public are welcome to day visit the beach or even stay at the 3-4 star hotel on the beach rooms 1k to 2k I think. restaurants on the beach. you can stay in the town a lot cheaper..cheaper abd more varied restaurants though the beach isn't really a beach..or you can stay at a few places on the beach north of the river mouth..
    Attachment 11136
    Attachment 11137
    Attachment 11139

OZZYGUY likes this.
    X|0|0
    0|X|0
    0|0|X...relaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaax

^ or a bit further south to Bangsapan and Ban Krut

We arrived in CM Friday night around 7.00pm on our Thaiair flight. I got a lot of luggage this trip had to bring some stuff over for a friend plus the two bikes. Lucky Thaiair give you 30kg each A friend picked us up from the CM airport and we headed to the hotel. Dropped the stuff and headed out. Was to meet up with a BM I met a few years ago from PI and his family at DUP. . My GF that is travelling with us is missing home so the first stop was to get some durian and a mango for her. By the time we got to DUP our friends had already gone. Had a drink at DUP then went to the new bar over the road called Players. Worked out the owner and I have a few mutual friends back home so stayed awhile. Then to the reggae bar Rasta for some dancing with the other family we met up with.

Saturday up early went for a walk while my son being 13 slept more. Later in the morning the 3 of us went to Home massage. Then off to Huay tung tao for a day at the lake and some great food. Sat night we went to Fish market restaurant for dinner. A bit flash for me but was nice. Got home early.

This morning early me and the GF headed off to Ton Lam Yai market while Dylan had his sleep in. Brought some food and a few Songkran shirts.

Been relaxing so far not really looking forward to being wet the next few days. Dylan got himself a big gun last night he wants to mount the Gopro to it today so he can send a video home to his friends.

Off for a massage now.11137052_954579431228709_1365669065_n.jpg11129422_954579487895370_1429084578_n.jpg11131802_954579351228717_579250047_n.jpg11117799_954579321228720_26446938_n.jpg11139709_954579401228712_1954972007_n.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast