Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree142Likes

Thread: Trip to buy building products - The super factorys in China

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    You can buy them in China already made up. For memory around 14k AUD ex China as a turn key box with furniture included and A/C. Had a guy looking at them about 7 years ago was going to set up a low cost park in Darwin with about 200 of the things. Not sure if he ever went ahead my girl here did a lot of ground work for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    True.

A friend and I once entertained the idea of buying a few containers and building a little village with them in a forest somewhere near Cairns. Like a sort of a tourist park. It's amazing what you can do with them.

Bacon likes this.

Yes I am aware of the zones. I have never had any serious quality issues. Depending on the product I try to stick with the bigger well known company's and ones that export to Aust. But it depends on what the product is you need.

With LED I use Foshan Raven lighting have done since 2009. I can get them half the price but the quality that Raven do is spot on and they produce drivers for Philips. The drivers we use are the same as the Philips but without Philips name on them.

The only quality issues I have had out of China is on two shipments. One was in 2009 and it was 90 LED drivers that didn't meet AUST standards out of a order of 10,000 lights. This was my first order from the Raven LED company in 2009. I contacted the sales lady Jenny and she gave me some shipping details and account number for me to send them back by air freight. Two weeks later I had the correct driver deliverd to my door in Perth. That is why today I still use this company. They stuffed up sent me 3 wrong boxes but sorted it out fast. The only thing wrong was both wires were the same colour so doesn't meet our standard.

Jenny still works for that company and we caught up with her yesterday.

The second issue I had was about 10 years ago. I had about 12T of sandstone in a container. The packing crates were note strong and one came apart in transport. When we opened the container we had to man handle them out and a few of the other crates fell apart on the fork lift.

Other than that its all been smooth lets hope this one is too.

Quote Originally Posted by jontymate View Post
    Ozzy

The way is works mate there are zones. Lets call it zones of quality. There are municipalities that have wanted to be know globally and encouraged investment from outside. My business is medical and the main Item is fasteners and associated re-constructional product for bone . Out of that zone you will still get top grade certified every day bolts. That is no BS to the specification. Other places have more liberal laws. Put what ever on a cert and you get what you pay for.

Put it this way... buy from Ningbo building product you will have no issue with but the saving will not be great as other places nor will the quality be. The certification may be the same on paper.

Yesterday we got the metro again out to Foshan. First stop was Foshan Raven LED light company and catch up with the sales girl Jenny. I have been buying from Jenny since 2009 and the service this company give is excellent. The quality of the LED's has improved a lot over the years and the prices are now a lot cheaper too. My order was only 130 Lights but she still gave me the wholesale price. Like all good sales people she did try to sell me the min order of 1000.

After the lights we headed up to the door market. Like the tile market there is door shops all over the place. I haven't brought doors before but did see them at the Canton trade fair about 4 years ago. They sell doors as a kit. You get the door, frame, handle, hinges, Hardware painted all together and pre fitted. The price ranges from 80 to 150 AUD per kit. The quality of the door is a lot better than what we get in Aust. You can choose lacquered painted, wood veneer and from the designs they have or custom.

I looked at some 316 stainless and glass Balustrade but didn't order. I'm concerned about the quality of the stainless and I am about 200 meters from the ocean. The price is a 5th what we pay back home and a lot of the stainless back home is imported anyway. I need 37 meters so it is a reasonable saving. I may look at the ally ones.

Next was bathroom products. Same as the LED company I headed to a wholesaler that I have used before. They only have a small rang of Australian approved products and if under the min order or 50 per item the price is 10% extra. Still works out well and the quality is very good. I brought bathroom taps, showers, toilets, a bum gun, towel rails, toilet roll holders, toilet brush and holder, soap dish, laundry taps, Kitchen taps, outside taps, drain waists, 1200mm long shower stainless waist grates.

Today its off to the tool market. I'm doing a fair bit of work myself so would like to check out the tool shops. This could get expensive buying shit I don't really need 555 My thoughts are if I buy then use and sell what I wont use again. Like tile wet saw and airless spray equipment.

Also to the hotel supply market. I want to get new bed linen, towels and a commercial tepinarki BBQ. I don't buy electrical goods in China exc LED but I am having trouble locating a teinarki BBQ back home so will check them out.
    Last edited by OZZYGUY; 17th December 2016 at 10:17.

Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    ^457 Visas sorted...it's plain sailing from there....55555

Holiday visa is easier than 457...........55

The wifes family have a builder in Cebu who has been doing some stuff for them the past 12 months, I did consider doing a holiday visa get him over for tiling for 3 months, A bowl of rice, room and $10 a day...... 55 its just too risking if we got caught and we have a few visa applications in don't want to stuff them up.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน obes's Avatar
    Take a Magnet with you to check the stainless Ozzy.

It may not be 316, but as long as it's not magnetic, it'll probably be as good as the crap they're passing off back here !
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Hey Ozzy, since you're so close to the ocean - like us, have you thought of stainless screws ?

We just finished a complete North side of house (Exterior) reno and I used nothing but stainless screws = thousands of them, from 125mm down.

I wouldn't do any renovating/building, living here, with anything other than stainless.

Luckily, I was able to grab a heap of bargains on eBay and still have a heap of sizes available for all the odd job shit that always happens !
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by obes View Post
    Hey Ozzy, since you're so close to the ocean - like us, have you thought of stainless screws ?

We just finished a complete North side of house (Exterior) reno and I used nothing but stainless screws = thousands of them, from 125mm down.

I wouldn't do any renovating/building, living here, with anything other than stainless.

Luckily, I was able to grab a heap of bargains on eBay and still have a heap of sizes available for all the odd job shit that always happens !
    I have stainless screws for all the stuff I have brought so far stainless hinges for the doors. But its only 304 they didn't have 316.

I never thought of any other hardware in stainless but a good point. I'm running out of days but back next year so may then.

Today back early but got a bit done.

As I expected I brought a lot of tools 55
    Compressor, airless spray gun, 850mm tile wet saw with table, manual tile cutter, Hilti drill and bits, Inverter Mig welder, tig welder, Multi saw, drop saw, Laser level, Laser measuring tape thing, tile glue mixer, and a bunch of hand tools electric and not. About 2k Aud for the lot incl duty and GST. I know so will be shit but as long as I get this job done with it its cheaper than renting. I did opt for the better quality on the bigger equipment.

Also went to the hotel market. At this market they have all the commercial kitchen stuff, and anything to do with hotels and resturant. I brought a really good resturant type tepinarki BBQ and sitting next to it was a 600mm wide charcoal / gas BBQ so that ended up on my invoice too. Both are natural gas. This is all for my outdoor kitchen.

Tomrrow we are back to the kitchen guy to see the designs and price. I am also going to go back to the window company and up grade the profile size on my larger sliding doors.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    I have a problem with the word "Stainless".
    In my cutlery drawer is a Stainless steel butter knife made in "Sheffield" (UK) at least 50 years ago.
    It is showing signs of wear, but the steel is relatively unmarked.
    Also in the drawer is a set of stainless steel cutlery bought less than ten years ago.
    The butter knives from this set are all showing serious orange rust stains after washing now.
    Jonty may understand the technical difference in the manufacture, but it's there for all to see.
    One is truly "Stainless steel", the other is not.

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    Stainless steel comes in many grades C1..........that will be the reason
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

But that's the whole point Gav, who needs a grade of "Stainless steel" that rusts?
    Chob likes this.

Most stainless that I have brought in Perth has rusted. Things are not as good as the old days.

With the cutlery I just buy cheap stuff, cannot see the point in spending lots of money on expensive things like that. When I split with the ex I ended up with the el cheapo set. 4 years on its still working well. 55
    Changone likes this.

Most cutlery will show some signs of rust, due to higher carbon content - that's how they get the required hardness.
    The higher the grade, usually equates to softer.

And Ozzy, don't worry if the stainless is only 304 - 316 is for in salt water application - usually.

I worked at a stainless fabricator for a number of years as a young bloke. Most of the sinks, benches and even urinals were made from 304.
    I also helped build that 50 foot cruising yacht and most of the stainless on that was 316.
    Changone and OZZYGUY like this.

Quote Originally Posted by obes View Post

And Ozzy, don't worry if the stainless is only 304 - 316 is for in salt water application - usually.

I worked at a stainless fabricator for a number of years as a young bloke. Most of the sinks, benches and even urinals were made from 304.
    I also helped build that 50 foot cruising yacht and most of the stainless on that was 316.
    Thanks Obes,

The Balustrade I am looking at the company say its 304 but I asked if they can do in 316 and they will. The thing that bothers me is the quality of the steel even thou its meant to be 316. Being I'm so close to the ocean I would hate it to all start to rust. However the price is vey good to what we pay in Perth plus the glass is tinted and 3mm thicker.

Is there any way of telling the difference between 304 and 316? I'm not after the polished I want the brushed dull look. (without rust)

Only way I kow to test between 304 and 316 is - as this answer from a metallurgist says.

A. According to ASTM STP 550, possibly available from the ASTM, the test for molybdenum in 300 series stainless is to

a) Place equal drops of concentrated hydrochloric acid and concentrated nitric acid on the metal surface. Allow 3 to 4 minutes for reaction and transfer 2 drops to a spot plate.

b) Add 2 drops of 10% potassium thiocyanate.

c) Add 25% sodium thiosulfate drop-wise stirring until the red color begins to disappear. A violet color will appear if molybdenum is present.

However, I think your best course of action is to get a chemical spot test kit from Koslow or Systems Scientific Labs or some other company that makes them. A quick web search under "chemical spot test" should show manufacturers if they foolishly aren't already listed on finishing.com, and I know the two mentioned above offer small kits just for 304 vs. 316 resolution. Good luck!
    OZZYGUY likes this.

obes

Uber Star Soi wandererThai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝันJoin DateApr 2013LocationNot there !Posts3,466

Most cutlery will show some signs of rust, due to higher carbon content - that's how they get the required hardness.
    The higher the grade, usually equates to softer.
    I am sure you are right. The forks and spoons (No cutting edge) don't seem to have rusted yet...555

304 SS will show corrosion/rust blooms if made from inferior grades with poor polishing. Dishwasher chemical is not friendly to SS. Bright, highly polished 316 marine grade will also stain but easily cleaned with light acid and car polish to protect against salt air. Brushed finishing is not recommended.
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    304 SS will show corrosion/rust blooms if made from inferior grades with poor polishing. Dishwasher chemical is not friendly to SS. Bright, highly polished 316 marine grade will also stain but easily cleaned with light acid and car polish to protect against salt air. Brushed finishing is not recommended.
    304 - if it is actually 304 isn't a marine grade stainless, that is salt water directly hitting it will certainly degrade it.
    But, as far as I've seen 304 that cops salt, in the air - from a couple of hundred metres away is usually OK.

Bright polished is always better for protection, because it's "slipperier" ! Brushed finished is OK on 304, if it's not directly effected by salt water. That's my observation anyway.

I worked as a polisher, before I learnt how to TIG weld - (Veitch Industries Heidelberg) roughly 5 years polishing everything from boat rails to urinals for the Arts Centre Melbourne.

Oh - and Ozzy, (and everybody else) don't judge the quality of your cutlery/knives due to it being magnetic - it will be.................. Higher carbon content = harder.
    Changone, kaptainrob and OZZYGUY like this.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    Really interesting thread so far Ozy, you have cleary done your homework ... shipping to Sydney is certainly not as cheap as Perth ... your container prices are crazy cheap ... although since having a closer look the prices have certainly dropped at lot from my original 5K guess .... i am now seeing about 2.2K to sydney for a 40 foot ... is the distance that much less to make it that cheap to Perth ? .. what other factors here i wonder
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast