The best and friendliest guesthouse in Patong.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree142Likes

Thread: Trip to buy building products - The super factorys in China

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar

Trip to buy building products - The super factorys in China

Thought I may share this trip as its quite interesting in China and the way things are done plus just the pure size of the place. Some of the factory’s are amazing. Like the window factory is 60,000 meters square and employs over 600 people.

I am off to Guangzhou in China. It is a rather small city as far as Chinese citys go with just 10 Million people. It is the capital city of Guangdong province that has a population of over 105 Million people in 2011 so I guess a lot more now. Guangzhou is more of a business area not so much a tourist area.

I have been to China a few times to do this type of trip but not for about 5 or 6 years. My trips to Thailand actually started out as a one night stop over in Bangkok on the way to Guangzhou a few times a year.

I will arrive in Guangzhou late on the 13th December flying after a mates 60th in Bali. I have 6 days to get as much done as I can. It will be long days and if it’s anything like past trips we work 8am to around 8pm. The Chinese are very hard working people and when it comes to business they are tighter than cheap Charlie so its going to be some tuff negotiating over some great food. I have a personal assistant in China, Amy who I have worked with for a long time on other projects. She is a great girl and will be good to catch up with her and her husband. Amy will be helping me all the way from negotiating to shipping.

I have a bit of a shopping list to get though and I wont get it done in one trip.

My currently building product shopping list is.

Double glazed window frames
    Doors, hardware and frames
    Compressed expressed joint sheeting, exterior Cladding
    Structural steel
    Pre fab roof trusses and stud wall frames
    Kitchen and bathroom cabinets
    Plumbing ware, taps, basins etc
    LED Lights
    Tiles
    Balcony Balustrade
    Window treatments / curtains
    Carpet
    Floor rugs
    Ornaments and decritive products
    Furniture
    Mirrors
    Wardrobe fit out
    A wife for my buddy
    Last edited by OZZYGUY; 28th November 2016 at 20:18.
    wabbits, Sydney, 1080 and 2 others like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    It'll be interesting to see the pics of the wife market.. 55
    kaptainrob and OZZYGUY like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    It'll be interesting to see the pics of the wife market.. 55
    105 million people, I guess at least 50% are female 55

Frequent Flyer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน kaptainrob's Avatar
    Oh boy, a shopping trip I would love!

Look forward to further reports and pics.
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Oh boy, a shopping trip I would love!

Look forward to further reports and pics.
    Rob I thought you would be interested in this one. Not to mention all the great food while the negotiations take place.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    I would be interested to know if you are simply buying finished products, or if you are involved in the manufacturing and QC process. Also, about how you make sure your goods meet (Aus) import standards etc. Any help from Austrade for example? Tell us some of the "Tough negotiation" scenarios...Look forward to hearing more about the "Wife hunt"...555
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Frequent Flyer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน kaptainrob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    Rob I thought you would be interested in this one. Not to mention all the great food while the negotiations take place.
    I'll be down-under all December otherwise I'd be tempted to join you. Pics of food required also, please.

NB: There's some excellent YouTube vids of Cn factories, the scale of which is mind boggling. Just watched one on smart-phone battery production whilst also researching Tesla product ... the stuff they are developing for vehicles, home and industry is fascinating.
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    I would be interested to know if you are simply buying finished products, or if you are involved in the manufacturing and QC process. Also, about how you make sure your goods meet (Aus) import standards etc. Any help from Austrade for example? Tell us some of the "Tough negotiation" scenarios...Look forward to hearing more about the "Wife hunt"...555
    The products I am buying are for personal use and not resale. All of the company's I have dealt with in the past export to Australia and fit within all our standards. In saying that there is a lot of scams in China when it comes to meeting standards. I did get caught first trip with some plumbing products what did not have the Aust Water mark standard but found a new supplier the following trip. It was only a few taps so no big deal.

The wife hunt was a joke, my buddy split with his Chinese wife a few months back and asked me to bring back a new improved one. 55

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Ok looks like I got the wrong end of the stick.....555
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    I'll be down-under all December otherwise I'd be tempted to join you. Pics of food required also, please.

NB: There's some excellent YouTube vids of Cn factories, the scale of which is mind boggling. Just watched one on smart-phone battery production whilst also researching Tesla product ... the stuff they are developing for vehicles, home and industry is fascinating.
    I use to do a few trips to the Canton trade fair. Biggest trade show in the world. If you don't like crowds its not the place to be. A few days in this place is mind blowing.

Welcome to Canton Fair 2017 April, The 121th Canton Fair Spring China Import and Export Fair Guangzhou Dates
    kaptainrob likes this.

Google doesn’t work in China so no photos from my google account. Will work that out next few days. Tapatalk is also not working.

It was a smooth flight over and I landed in Guangzhou just after 11pm yesterday. I finally arrived at the hotel in Yue xiu district just before 1.00am. It was a long day as I was up at 4.00am in Bali to take the wife to the airport for her flight to Perth. I fly Bali to Guangzhou with a short stop at Bangkok.

Up early this morning and out for a walk around. China is a hard place to get about if you don’t speak Chinese or have a guide. Almost all the signs are written in Chinese, food menus are in Chinese, and hardly anyone talks English. They have plenty of street food and small restaurants so I grabbed a coffee at the 7/11 and a few pork buns from a street stall.

Todays shopping was windows. My assistant Amy and her driver met me at the hotel at 9am and we headed off to the first factory. It was about a hours drive and the traffic flows well compared to most Asian citys. The first factory was a rather small family type business. At a guess and about 2000 square meters but had all the modern computerised equipment. Their biggest client at the moment is in Melbourne Aust so that gives me a bit of conference. They appeared to be a very well run business and the place was extremely clean and tidy. A place for everything.

An item I haven’t seen before was blinds inside the glass. So it is double glazed windows and sliding doors but you can add small slim line blinds between the double glass. Look very cool and no cleaning on the blinds. I had it priced and it was well within budget. Then I realised if they broke it would be very hard and expensive to repair so not so good idea.

The second factory was closed when we arrived. This was the big place employs 1500 people. They close the place up for lunch. Pretty stupid idea for suck a large company so we went to eat and came back a hour later. I was a bit disappointed in this place hopefully I can post some photos. It was a total mess. Crap all over the place. When I looked at the quality it was very poor. Its just a big mass production company.

The quote from the small family place was very good so I will order off them the next few days. Issue they have is they cannot do my order until the week after Chinese new year. First week in March so end of March by the time they arrive in Australia. Just puts me behind a month.

Tomorrow is Kitchens, Bathrooms
    Last edited by OZZYGUY; 14th December 2016 at 21:56.
    PeteGill, kaptainrob, Rivo and 1 others like this.

Foundation Member Uber Star quiksilva's Avatar
    Is the structural steel component large tonnage?

Quote Originally Posted by quiksilva View Post
    Is the structural steel component large tonnage?
    Its around 25t but I have decided I will get it in Perth.

The Cladding I will also get in Aust now. To high risk that it may contain asbestos. Its not worth the cost saving.
    Last edited by OZZYGUY; 14th December 2016 at 22:23.

Have you looked into it much yet? Shop drawings? Supply and co ordinate your own install or suppy and install?
    OZZYGUY likes this.

All the steel for the greno work I have quoted local, structural steel beams / lintels etc quoted local. All the roof frames and stud walls I was told by a local steel companys timber will be cheaper. I have priced it in timber.

I am in the industry. PM if you are interested.
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cippy's Avatar
    Talking to a Chinese friend here on the Vessel. He using a private virtual network so he can access anything he wants like google and facebook..
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. M.T.

Quote Originally Posted by Cippy View Post
    Talking to a Chinese friend here on the Vessel. He using a private virtual network so he can access anything he wants like google and facebook..
    That's to techo for me. 55

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cippy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    That's to techo for me. 55
    Naaaah Mate, if you can log onto this forum, you won't have a problem. They cost about $10 USD/month. Mine I just have to open the program and hit the "Connect" button.
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. M.T.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cippy View Post
    Naaaah Mate, if you can log onto this forum, you won't have a problem. They cost about $10 USD/month. Mine I just have to open the program and hit the "Connect" button.
    Thats the thing, they make the name of it sound way to technical ... anything with the words "virtual" and "network" are gonna scare people from the get go ...

Why dont they just call it something like ... hide me

Ohh wait they do !! ... Wowwww

https://hide.me/en/
    kaptainrob likes this.
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast