Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Patong trip Jan 17

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Rockitt's Avatar
    Not all the slim athletic Thai girls go to the gym. Most of them get their exercise/workouts from doing other things.
    bacwaan likes this.

PGC
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PGC's Avatar
    So that's it really. Other than moaning about the rain (You used to be safe going to Patong in Jan/Feb) and boy did it rain. We switched an August trip to late Jan to avoid getting soaked all the time but to no avail. Still at least there were no running brown rivers down Ratty Rd.

It was a more relaxed trip than I've had before. The Girls were more laid back for some reason. I've discovered that I quite like watching people getting wet when I'm nicely ensconced on a bar stool looking out.

The Parrot bar on Bangla has an awning with a design fault. It collects water near the end and every now and again lets loose a downpour in the region of a 4 bucket splash.
    That proved to be enthralling watching trying to spot who would be the next victim wandering back from the Beach.

It nearly hit the Suit seller from over the Rd. But showing remarkable speed for a big guy, him and his 1970's shirt (Big Collar and huge cufflinks) avoided a drenching.

"Hi Sir...where you from" whist marching forward with hand held out. "You want a suit".......

Of course I want a suit. Here I am p1ss wet through, sweating my b0llocks off, and slightly inebriated. It's the 1st thing that springs to mind. "Do all your shirts look like that"

So as I said. Patong has changed. More youngsters. More Russians. More Indians. More Arabs. More Chinese. Less Europeans and Americans. The demographic has changed and Patong changes with it.

Sanook is still there if you look for it. You just maybe have to dig a little deeper.
    Quarky, PeteGill, Gazmac and 2 others like this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Rockitt's Avatar
    Nice report PGC. You knock the nail on the head with this one. Nothing stays the same, but you can still have a great time.
    PeteGill likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    My biggest gripe about Patong, Phuket and a lot of Thailand in general (with Samui and exception) is a lack of casual bars on the beach
    A lot of these places are islands, or with vast beaches and they can't figure out a way to concession a smattering of small local beach bars that won't be a blight on the nature.
    Baki has it, Cambodia does.....Hell most tourist countries with beaches do but hardly any in Thailand

It would add so much to the place

PGC
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    My biggest gripe about Patong, Phuket and a lot of Thailand in general (with Samui and exception) is a lack of casual bars on the beach
    A lot of these places are islands, or with vast beaches and they can't figure out a way to concession a smattering of small local beach bars that won't be a blight on the nature.
    Baki has it, Cambodia does.....Hell most tourist countries with beaches do but hardly any in Thailand

True. Kata used to have a bar on the beach. Sat at the bar with your feet burrowing into the sand.......Cold Singha....nice

Quote Originally Posted by PGC View Post
    True. Kata used to have a bar on the beach. Sat at the bar with your feet burrowing into the sand.......Cold Singha....nice
    Is that the one under the big tree at the end of the beach? Is it gone?
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

PGC
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    Is that the one under the big tree at the end of the beach? Is it gone?
    Think so yes. I just assumed it was no longer there with the clamp down. I remember it being a fair trip to the toilet block. We emded up giving 200bht to a tuk tuk driver to run any one of us up to the toilets and back anytime we wanted.
    Quarky likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cippy's Avatar
    Yeah, I really miss the beach clubs at Surin. Was such a cool place, now those foundations that is all that is left is an eye sore. I never went there but the place up on on the rocks on the south side was nice too.

Not taking sides though! 555
    Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. M.T.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Thanks for the read PGC...

I haven't been down that way for a couple of years.... I do love Patong, and will be back!! I discovered Jomtien, and love it as well...
    Life is short..... and love is always over in the morning.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PGC View Post
    I think that was called the "Reggae Bar" It was in the corner in the southern end. Not a bad hang for a arvo brew....Pretty seedy looking dread locked Thai guys working the bar in there but they were friendly .

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cippy View Post
    Yeah, I really miss the beach clubs at Surin. Was such a cool place, now those foundations that is all that is left is an eye sore. I never went there but the place up on on the rocks on the south side was nice too.

Not taking sides though! 555
    The place "up on the rocks on the southside" is Petcharin Seafood Restaurant...it is the only permanent restaurant on Surin Beach to have survived the bulldozers...

me and Deano used to lunch and swim off there for years back when I lived in Kamala...I was happy to return back to that daily routine over my recent Xmas/NY trip...some nice snorkeling in High Season just off those rocks
    Cippy likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน chelski's Avatar
    A year or so I went to Kata Beach and they had some food stalls and tables and chairs, in what I think was the car park at some stage. You could buy food, beer etc, but had to sit in the carpark and not on the sands.
    Whether it is still there I am not sure.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    restaurants at the southern end of kata are right on the beach. top spot. you can eat,drink,take a swim and there's a shower there.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน chelski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post

I agree with you Marc26, up to the Junta taking over (as you know), there were quite a lot small/large local beach bars in Patong & surrounding area's. Most have now been ripped down. Samui & Hua Hin is about the only places where the crackdown seems to have not taken place. Had the properties stayed small, there probably would not have been a crackdown. But when people start taking the Pi55 and building big properties on the beach, then everyone suffers (locals & tourists).

I have not been back to Surin since everything was ripped down, so cannot comment on what it is like there. But in Patong itself, some of the beachfront places have improvised their properties to accommodate some sunbeds and the locals have improvised by building sand sunbeds and renting out the mattress to anyone who wants to use them (10 out of 10 to the Thai's for finding a solution). You can still also buy food and drink on the beach where the vendors are as well.

I would say the greed of some people have fcuked it up for everyone, so have to wait and see what happens once the Coup is stopped

Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    The place "up on the rocks on the southside" is Petcharin Seafood Restaurant...it is the only permanent restaurant on Surin Beach to have survived the bulldozers...

me and Deano used to lunch and swim off there for years back when I lived in Kamala...I was happy to return back to that daily routine over my recent Xmas/NY trip...some nice snorkeling in High Season just off those rocks
    Are we talking about the restaurant, or the one furthest out? Happy to hear it if so. We had a few days swimming with Deano and Mikey ourselves.
    bacwaan likes this.
    Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. M.T.

can't remember names (might be mama seafood or next to it) but this is around where we use to go to eat and drink. down a little laneway next to a tailors. surf hire place right next to it.
    food is quite good and not expensive.

Cippy likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    ^ The bar to the left was the reggae bar from memory. good pic BTW moo

Quote Originally Posted by Tingtong View Post
    ^ The bar to the left was the reggae bar from memory. good pic BTW moo
    the one i mean may be on the right of the pic.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cippy View Post
    Are we talking about the restaurant, or the one furthest out? Happy to hear it if so. We had a few days swimming with Deano and Mikey ourselves.
    Running out to the point from the road there is the restaurant , another section with chairs and tables outside that above the rocks, covered by trees and then another section right on the headland rocks which is now for sunloungers ..there was a hot pink bar there with stools formerly but that has been pulled down as it was pretty darn unsightly.

Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    Running out to the point from the road there is the restaurant , another section with chairs and tables outside that above the rocks, covered by trees and then another section right on the headland rocks which is now for sunloungers ..there was a hot pink bar there with stools formerly but that has been pulled down as it was pretty darn unsightly.
    That's it. 555 Hot pink jogged my memory.
    bacwaan likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast