Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Panama/Costa Rica TR

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar

Panama/Costa Rica TR

Well we planned it for a year and I am leaving for my holiday tomorrow.
    Boston for a few days to see some of my very best friends, I'm always excited to see them
    Then off to Panama City for 3 days and Costa Rica for 11 days with my 19yr old nephew and his gf.

This is going to be a very different trip for me. I've gone away with my stepson when he was much younger a bunch of times but to be "responsible" for two 19yrs old is going to be different.

They are not big partiers at all, but I know they excited to go to bars and clubs.
    I doubt either of them have ever been in a bar.

I honestly see them having a fee with me after dinner each night then going home and I stay out.

So I will update this every few days with reports and some pictures although if people are interested

Probably most excited I've been for a holiday in a long time
    Rivo, bacwaan, Bacon and 3 others like this.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    ^hmmmmmm...I do believe that this is a TR which has been started before the OP has actually left home.....now where is that bastard who always complains about this in here...555
    Quarky, PeteGill, Bacon and 2 others like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    ^hmmmmmm...I do believe that this is a TR which has been started before the OP has actually left home.....now where is that bastard who always complains about this in here...555
    He's got his African and Aussie ones running as well 555
    Quarky, PeteGill, Rivo and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    Oh no no no 5555
    You don't think I thought of that
    I have left home, I just don't think you guys want to hear about my 3 days in Boston with my lunatic family 5555

So I have left home sir

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    He's got his African and Aussie ones running as well 555
    Duh.....those are trips that I will probably never take
    Don't count!! 555

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    Tell us about Boston Paul..........some pics of the place aswell ? 555
    supersub likes this.
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    I watched The Tailor of Panama again a few days ago, and I know almost nothing about Costa Rica, but the names are still riddled with mystery and a strange sort of nostalgia for places I've never known. I'm looking forward to this one.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    I watched The Tailor of Panama again a few days ago, and I know almost nothing about Costa Rica, but the names are still riddled with mystery and a strange sort of nostalgia for places I've never known. I'm looking forward to this one.
    You'd actually think there would be more historic type hotels in Panama, big glamorous colonial hotels but there isn't

We are staying in the historic district, Casco Viejo, which is amazing and the reason why I wanted to go back
    Hundreds year old building redone, restaurants out on the plazas and great rooftop bars but still pretty local/authentic

But I was looking for cool old hotels to have a drink in and can't really find any

https://www.google.ca/search?q=casco...w=1680&bih=904

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    You'd actually think there would be more historic type hotels in Panama, big glamorous colonial hotels but there isn't

We are staying in the historic district, Casco Viejo, which is amazing and the reason why I wanted to go back
    Hundreds year old building redone, restaurants out on the plazas and great rooftop bars but still pretty local/authentic

But I was looking for cool old hotels to have a drink in and can't really find any

https://www.google.ca/search?q=casco...w=1680&bih=904
    They worked so hard to be all modern and American, and now you still complain..? 555

Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    They worked so hard to be all modern and American, and now you still complain..? 555
    I look to go to historic hotels in America when in a new city, or even in my own cities of Boston/Vancouver

And actually Panama City is not that "Americanized" although business wise it is

Actually in a lot of ways Central America caters a lot less to tourists than Asia.........so you are in a lot more "local" places and situations in Latin America as a tourist than you are in Asia

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    On this note, I downloaded Graham Greene's "Getting to Know The General" about his time in Panama

I like to read a book about the places I am visiting while there

I look to go to historic hotels in America when in a new city, or even in my own cities of Boston/Vancouver

And actually Panama City is not that "Americanized" although business wise it is

Actually in a lot of ways Central America caters a lot less to tourists than Asia.........so you are in a lot more "local" places and situations in Latin America as a tourist than you are in Asia
    Never been to Latin America, so best to not comment at all,
    but the way I see it, Panama was never really a colony (though it was for hundreds of years) but a cross-road, north-south the land connection between the two America's and east-west the connection to the two greatest pools in the world..
    So it was always about business, attracting all sorts of aliens for trade..
    The US saw this long ago, and with the Panama canal and the Pan-American highway they effectively made Panama into a US colony...

Look for the colonial feel in high-rises, art-deco and such and I bet you will see plenty..

Never been to Latin America, so best to not comment at all,
    but the way I see it, Panama was never really a colony (though it was for hundreds of years) but a cross-road, north-south the land connection between the two America's and east-west the connection to the two greatest pools in the world..
    So it was always about business, attracting all sorts of aliens for trade..
    The US saw this long ago, and with the Panama canal and the Pan-American highway they effectively made Panama into a US colony...

Look for the colonial feel in high-rises, art-deco and such and I bet you will see plenty..
    Panama City is sort of in 3 parts
    The high rises/art deco area, the regular glum looking downtown of any Latin American big city and then the area we staying in, Casco Viejo

It's not that interesting of a city with not tons to do but very good nightlife
    But I wanted the kid's to see a city area before the beaches/volcanoes

Panama City is sort of in 3 parts
    The high rises/art deco area, the regular glum looking downtown of any Latin American big city and then the area we staying in, Casco Viejo

It's not that interesting of a city with not tons to do but very good nightlife
    But I wanted the kid's to see a city area before the beaches/volcanoes
    Will you be seeing or boating the canal?
    That's the one thing I would like to go to Panama for!...

Will you be seeing or boating the canal?
    That's the one thing I would like to go to Panama for!...
    Yes we are, I didn't go last time

I'm actually more interested in the museum than seeing the actual locks but people rave about it so I am sure I will be impressed once there

Haven't decided if we will do a little cruise around it or just go there for museum/locks

Yes we are, I didn't go last time

I'm actually more interested in the museum than seeing the actual locks but people rave about it so I am sure I will be impressed once there

Haven't decided if we will do a little cruise around it or just go there for museum/locks
    I think you will realize the craziness of going over a mountain range in a boat even more when on the water.. And seeing how fcking big these ships are..

Well we are on the 3rd day of our trip, the last full day in Panama City
    It is going incredibly well and the kids are loving it, which is the important thing.

I mentioned we are staying in the old historic part of Panama City, Casco Viejo. It really is stunning with incredible nightlife
    Rooftop bars and just sitting out and eating and drinking in all the plazas.
    I say this often but I legitimately could see myself living here.

I'm shocked how much my nephew can drink. We bee having beers everywhere and in the pool.
    But he definitely tried to keep up and impress Uncle yesterday and ended up hammered at 7pm 555
    But that is my fault and I need to watch that
    But even with that he wasn't acting stupid but he got sick.
    So he didn't end up going out so just me and his gf went to dinner

The girl is a superstar, we sat and chatted away for like 2 hours! She just turned 18yrs old and it's like she is 35!!!
    Just an incredible kid, both of them are.
    I'm having a blast.

It is funny because all 3 of us hangout like just friends but I then have to be the "parent" in picking up wet towels,making sure they hydrate in the heat.
    But I don't mind but it's just a different dynamic.

We heading to Panama Canal today
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quarky, Rivo and OZZYGUY like this.

Trip details:

Costs
    Panama uses USD and I'd say prices are a bit cheaper than the US.
    Beer is anywhere from 1.25 to 4/5usd in an upmarket bar.
    Casual food is inline with US buy funny enough nicer restaurants are a tad bit cheaper than US for some reason.
    I find that a bit odd.
    Like a little pizza place will be same prices as US
    But we went out to a gorgeous restaurant that was pretty high end and my nephew's steal which was incredible was only 17usd and his gf's chicken, again incredible, was only 11usd

Nightlife...
    The nightlife in Casco is incredible with great Rooftop bars. There is some gorgeous girls but you definitely will need to like girls with curves.
    Barely any of them speak English with a fee I spoke to speaking ok English.

P4P
    There are a few FL bars and I went to one last night. I just had some beers and ended speaking to a really cute girl from Colombia but I just wasn't into going with anyone last night.
    She did say it was 150usd which I think would be in the 5k baht range?
    I'd imagine she'd take less but I didn't want anything so didn't find out.

I did like her so took her # and may contact her tonight but don't know if I will be in the mood

English....
    I've said this before but it really is incredible how they don't even bother to speak English down here. I don't say that in a negative way, they are speaking their language.
    But they don't even try to slow it down, they just speak to you as if you are a local 555

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Jeeze....poor kid is a spitter for you when you were younger....555
    Quarky likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Barely any of them speak English with a fee I spoke to speaking ok English.
    you can say that again 555

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast